Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Dylan Wells to ELC

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Not sure if discussed yet but Wells has been signed. Wells was a 5th round pick in 2016. Posted not good numbers in 2015-16 but exploded in 20-16-17 with a 0.916 in regular season and amazing 0.930 in playoffs

His 0.916 doesnt do him justice given his team let a ton of high danger chances (faced 2nd most in OHL and 2nd most mid danger shots). When taking into consideration difficulty of shots, Wells had the highest GSAA in the OHL and by a wide margin to boot

http://prospect-stats.com/OHL/2016/goalies/

Last edited by a moderator:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
That's a nice feather in the cap for a 5th round pick, to be considered worthy of an ELC offer the year after being drafted.

As with all goalie prospects, fingers crossed that he can give the Oilers a bona fide high end prospect at that position for once. I'm still got reservations about Brossoit being anything more than a stopgap backup.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Does he have a chance to rep Canada at the WJC? Always nice to see Oiler prospects have big roles for Canada at the tournament. Didn't have any last couple years.

Regarding the scoring chance stuff, does the OHL really track where shots are coming from on the ice? Who is collecting these stats lol.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Does he have a chance to rep Canada at the WJC? Always nice to see Oiler prospects have big roles for Canada at the tournament. Didn't have any last couple years.

Regarding the scoring chance stuff, does the OHL really track where shots are coming from on the ice? Who is collecting these stats lol.

Parsons seems like starter, then Hart (not sure on age eligibility tho). If Wells continues to play this good then maybe a 3rd string spot could be had

OHL tracks shot locations, Q and WHL do not unfortuantly

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Parsons seems like starter, then Hart (not sure on age eligibility tho). If Wells continues to play this good then maybe a 3rd string spot could be had

OHL tracks shot locations, Q and WHL do not unfortuantly
Parsons is American.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I was disappointed when he drafted him when Sokolov was still on board. Glad I'm proven wrong. Still would have liked Sokolov with another pick.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland

Right now I'd say Carter Hart is a lock, STL draft pick Evan Fitzpatrick is a strong candidate.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Happy he got his chance. Hopefully he can prove it as time goes on.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not sure if discussed yet but Wells has been signed. Wells was a 5th round pick in 2016. Posted not good numbers in 2015-16 but exploded in 20-16-17 with a 0.916 in regular season and amazing 0.930 in playoffs

I remember people getting all up in arms. Maybe scouts actually know something. Especially when you are taking a goalie late, it really has nothing to do with his numbers. Generally you see something in a guy that you really like and hope he can tweak his deficiencies to make that next step.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I remember people getting all up in arms. Maybe scouts actually know something. Especially when you are taking a goalie late, it really has nothing to do with his numbers. Generally you see something in a guy that you really like and hope he can tweak his deficiencies to make that next step.

There is truth to this as Wells did have good technique (as per scouting reports). Save % for a 17 year old isnt the be all and end all, but under 0.880 is pretty (really) bad. Its hard to get out from under than. We had just threw a pick away with Bouchard who was a bad pick from the start and Wells looked more like that type of pick than anything else. His turn around year over year is nothing short of amazing so a bit unexpected and Im sure the Oilers scouts who picked him would agree

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Well deserved. I have a pretty good feeling about Wells. Very impressive season from him and he just seems like a very genuine and hard-working kid. Rooting for him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
yeah. oilers should look at drafting a goalie every year considering how hit and miss they are for making the jump to the NHL. (and mostly miss)

I'm quite fine with identifying undrafted goalies that have a bit of more experience under their belt.

Not going to be mad if they use late round picks on someone they really like though.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
yeah. oilers should look at drafting a goalie every year considering how hit and miss they are for making the jump to the NHL. (and mostly miss)

Also pretty good college and Euro UFAs to bring in. Ellis has been good in AHL and hes faired better than 7/8 of the past goalie prospects weve drafted (only Dubnyk has done better, Brossoit was a trade)

I like goalies to be drafted in 4th round or later or signing them as 20-22 year olds

But for Wells he seems to have a bright future. Great tools/technique and now great numbers

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
It's gonna be a huge thing for us in the future any time one of our draft picks show up on the radar because the better we get the more likely it is that our GM is going to risk future assets so that we can stay in win now mode.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
There is truth to this as Wells did have good technique (as per scouting reports). Save % for a 17 year old isnt the be all and end all, but under 0.880 is pretty (really) bad. Its hard to get out from under than. We had just threw a pick away with Bouchard who was a bad pick from the start and Wells looked more like that type of pick than anything else. His turn around year over year is nothing short of amazing so a bit unexpected and Im sure the Oilers scouts who picked him would agree

Tell that to Matt Murray. Its much more important how a goalie grows after their draft and their raw tools than just looking at save % in junior leagues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad