Oilers Sign Cogliano

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Not sure this is the best thing for his career. but who cares I'd love to see him crack the lineup this year

MyDogsAn_Oilers_fan

Mar 16, 2007
Edmonton
Well ya never know. Andy Mcdonald didn't "break out" until 05/06 (he was 28). Cogliano is nearly 10 years younger. I don't think he'll make the NHL until he's at least 21, but even that may be a stretch.

But I have high hopes for him. We finally have our own AHL team, so our prospects will only have to play second fiddle to each other.

Towelie*

Is Raymond vs. Cogliano a good comparison? I remember Lowe commenting on how he believed Raymond was a "1st rounder", which he obviously thought the same about Cogliano.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Is Raymond vs. Cogliano a good comparison? I remember Lowe commenting on how he believed Raymond was a "1st rounder", which he obviously thought the same about Cogliano.

Who's Raymond? Oshie is the best comp for Cogliano. Same league, similar age, drafted 1 spot apart, similar numbers in the NCAA...

Towelie*

Mason Raymond was drafted in Cogliano's draft year, but is older - don't know the exact age difference. He is a winger and outperformed Cogliano in the NCAA this year. Both are speedy, offensive minded players.

The Canucks picked Raymond in the second round, but as I said, he was considered to be a "first rounder" by Kevin Lowe.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Mason Raymond was drafted in Cogliano's draft year, but is older - don't know the exact age difference. He is a winger and outperformed Cogliano in the NCAA this year. Both are speedy, offensive minded players.

The Canucks picked Raymond in the second round, but as I said, he was considered to be a "first rounder" by Kevin Lowe.

?????? Coglaino had 48 points in 37 games while Raymond had 46 in 39. Not a huge difference but Cogliano was the one who outperformed Raymond.

I don't know anything about Raymond so I can't comment on if they can be compared or not.

Edit: Cogliano is 2 years younger then Raymond so I am not really sure they are that close at all.

Last edited:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Raymond was on a horrid team in a tougher league, top to bottom.

How is it a tougher league? They both played in the NCAA didn't they?

And it doesn't change the fact that Raymond isn't a good comp for Cogliano, he's 2 years older and put up similar numbers in the same league.

Oshie is a good comp. They are 27&28 on the HF top 50 prospects list. Raymond may have a similar skillset, but Cogs and Oshie have much bigger upsides.

mnhowitzer

Jul 7, 2006
How is it a tougher league? They both played in the NCAA didn't they?

And it doesn't change the fact that Raymond isn't a good comp for Cogliano, he's 2 years older and put up similar numbers in the same league.

Oshie is a good comp. They are 27&28 on the HF top 50 prospects list. Raymond may have a similar skillset, but Cogs and Oshie have much bigger upsides.

I should've said Conference. Yes they all played in the NCAAs, but Oshie and Raymond play a majority of their games in the WCHA, which consists of North Dakota, Minnesota, Duluth, Wisconsin, St. Cloud, Mankato, Colorado College, Denver, Alaska Anchorage and Michigan Tech.

My point in saying that is if you're gonna compare players on points versus games played, you have to consider who the oponents are...and each year the WCHA is the best conference from top to bottom. I haven't watched Cogliano enough to make a fair comparison, but Raymond basically had no supporting cast and was one of the WCHAs best players.

WesternCollegeHockey

Jul 13, 2006
Of course, all of Raymond's points came in non-conference games, so that point about "better competition" seems kind of moot.

Raymond and Cogliano are a very good comparison in terms of playing style. I think Cogliano is a little better though.

Towelie*

?????? Coglaino had 48 points in 37 games while Raymond had 46 in 39. Not a huge difference but Cogliano was the one who outperformed Raymond.

I don't know anything about Raymond so I can't comment on if they can be compared or not.

Edit: Cogliano is 2 years younger then Raymond so I am not really sure they are that close at all.

Raymond was a first team all-star, beating out Cogliano. That means that the powers at be in the NCAA thought Raymond was the better player last season vs. Cogliano - which means a lot more then the fact that Cogliano outscored Raymond by a small margin.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Raymond was a first team all-star, beating out Cogliano. That means that the powers at be in the NCAA thought Raymond was the better player last season vs. Cogliano - which means a lot more then the fact that Cogliano outscored Raymond by a small margin.

Cogliano was also forced down on his teams depth charts due to Hensick(senior) getting all the top PP and 1st line minutes if you want to get really technical. So he was playing the Havlat in Ottawa role. Not a lot of player or minutes support for Cogs this last year.

Tell you what, if Raymond => Cogs then where is Raymond in the HF top 50? Or to put it another way, would you trade Raymond straight up for Cogs? Cause I sure wouldn't do it from an Oil POV.

Towelie*

Cogliano was also forced down on his teams depth charts due to Hensick(senior) getting all the top PP and 1st line minutes if you want to get really technical.

Tell you what, if Raymond => Cogs then where is Raymond in the HF top 50? Or to put it another way, would you trade Raymond straight up for Cogs? Cause I sure wouldn't do it from an Oil POV.

I never said Raymond was the better prospect, I just thought they were comparable players. They are both speedsters that have good play making skills.

With that said, I don't think it would be a stretch to say that Raymond will be the better player - not to say that is any sort of consensus, nor should it be.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
With that said, I don't think it would be a stretch to say that Raymond will be the better player - not to say that is any sort of consensus, nor should it be.
I do.

At the age of 19, Raymond was playing in the AJHL. At the age of 20, he put up 28 points in 40 games for Minnesota-Duluth.

In contrast, Cogliano put up 48 points in 37 games for Michigan at the age of 19.

There is no doubt Raymond had a pretty impressive season but you need to look at it with a little perspective - he was 21 years old for the entire season. I don't think there is any doubt it would be a massive surprise if Raymond turned out to be the better player.

WesternCollegeHockey

Jul 13, 2006

Raymond was first team All-WCHA. Cogliano plays in the CCHA. Two different conferences.

Transported Upstater

Raymond was first team All-WCHA. Cogliano plays in the CCHA. Two different conferences.

A 19-year old putting up 48 points in the CCHA is more impressive than a 21-year old putting up 46 points in the WCHA, tougher conference or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad