Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Brodziak (C) 2 years/$1.15M AAV

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I really like the flexible this give the team. You've got McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nuge all as top 6 centres; and Brodziak, Strome, and Khaira as centres in the bottom 6.

I know people are suggesting him as the #4 centre, but he actually seems like an ideal fit for a cycler like for Lucic....

Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian
Caggiula-Khaira-Slepy

I really like the look of that.

Let's you keep Khaira at centre and groom him for that #3 spot.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Brodziak at 2 x $1.15M seems a lot better to me than Beagle at 4 x $3M or Ryan at 3 x $3.125M for a RC. He's been a shade under 50% on faceoffs except for last year when he was 52%, as compared to 60% for Beagle and 56% for Ryan. For the decent production and 12 to 13 minutes of ice-time a night the Oilers got the best value which they needed given their cap situation. I'm happy with this signing.

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well, *gulp*, here goes..... This is a really good deal and Chia deserves to get credit for identifying an end of the roster player that should help in a few ways (PK, faceoffs, decent size, not "Belanger-level" ineptness on offence) and getting this player for a good price. Really nothing to complain about here. Once again, Chia is showing that he is actually decent at the "small ball" deals.

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
Beauty glad to see Broadzilla back at a good av, should be a good leader for our younger guys.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
On the TSN list now. Have had a few too many Oileresque days in my life. Was worried we would see him signing with the Flames or something, in actuality.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Brodziak, Rieder & Gravel. Useful and needed players getting good terms. I like what Chia does, credits to him.

Reactions: RattsSSV

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Good move.

Riley Nash and James Neal are still available. If we could only dump Lucic :)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A good Letestu replacement. As long as he’s got game left, I’m quite happy with this signing.

Now that you mention that it puts a bit better spin on things. One would have to mention Toby Letestu to get me come around to 34yr old Brodziak.

I'm so conflcted on this. Because older fans here will know I was a Brodziak fan and saw potential and I was sad to see the team give up on him. We missed the best Brodziak and so this reacquiring is a bit of salt in the wound for me. In fairness Chia never let this player go, and I don't think he would've.

if only we could turn back the clock.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Another signing that I like.
Good solid 4th line center who plays hard minutes and can also help the PK.
Plus, you can move him up the lineup to 3rd line minutes for a few games in the event of injuries or slumps but still paid like a 4th lines.
Good day for Chia.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Chia mentions that the Oilers analytics placed Brodziak 19th in a category called "stick touches" while shorthanded.

Stick touches apparently meant deflected shots, pucks knocked away, sticks lifted, etc.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Two solid signings, IMO, grabbing Brodziak along with Rieder. Both former Oilers (or prospects) that I never wanted to see go to begin with. Kyle should at least help the PK. Anyone but Letestu, who I thought was an utter f***ing catastrophe for us in every area of the game, save for being spoon-fed some PP goals the season before last, and who had NO business being on the PK; he sucked HARD defensively, along with pretty much everything else and nearly every single facet of the game. Just a brutal, brutal player. Thank f***ing Jesus he's gone and wont be stapled to the PP along with other areas; he was awful. Anyway, I think this is a decent upgrade in terms of a depth center with a right-handed shot and can kill penalties. Not that this signing is inherently linked to Letestu; he was already gone, but I'm happy as hell to see him gone and I think Kyle will be better. But we'll see for sure soon enough.

*Letestu has to be one of my least favorite Oilers of all time. God I thought he was SO awful, if I haven't made that clear enough yet. Sorry, I had to get that out of my system. I'm good now. :)

Welcome aboard, Kyle.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailMcJesus

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Now that you mention that it puts a bit better spin on things. One would have to mention Toby Letestu to get me come around to 34yr old Brodziak.

I'm so conflcted on this. Because older fans here will know I was a Brodziak fan and saw potential and I was sad to see the team give up on him. We missed the best Brodziak and so this reacquiring is a bit of salt in the wound for me. In fairness Chia never let this player go, and I don't think he would've.

if only we could turn back the clock.
He is currently a very good 4c, even outside of his last year offensive burst. It's a cheap contract for a good player. Literally nothing to hate.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Two solid signings, IMO, grabbing Brodziak along with Rieder. Both former Oilers (or prospects) that I never wanted to see go to begin with. Kyle should at least help the PK. Anyone but Letestu, who I thought was an utter ****ing catastrophe for us in every area of the game, save for being spoon-fed some PP goals the season before last, and who had NO business being on the PK; he sucked HARD defensively, along with pretty much everything else and nearly every single facet of the game. Just a brutal, brutal player. Thank ****ing Jesus he's gone and wont be stapled to the PP along with other areas; he was awful. Anyway, I think this is a decent upgrade in terms of a depth center with a right-handed shot and can kill penalties. Not that this signing is inherently linked to Letestu; he was already gone, but I'm happy as hell to see him gone and I think Kyle will be better. But we'll see for sure soon enough.

*Letestu has to be one of my least favorite Oilers of all time. God I thought he was SO awful, if I haven't made that clear enough yet. Sorry, I had to get that out of my system. I'm good now. :)

Welcome aboard, Kyle.
Preach. Letestu is f***ing awful. Aside from coming up clutch in the playoffs on some McDavid/Drai spoon-fed platters he really brought nothing to this team. As you mentioned, his defensive and PK game were abysmal, and worst of all he was McLellan's pet which hurt this team.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad