Pre-Game Talk: Oilers @ Senators Oct. 19 (2 p.m. Eastern, 11 a.m. Pacific)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Andersons amazing stick save on jagr:

wDMCBvY.gif

I did not create it.

newtron

Jan 5, 2006
Ottawa
I can't use my tickets for the game tomorrow. If anyone is interested, they are in section 325, row J, on the aisle. Not looking to make any money on them, so selling for below box office price, just enough to come close to recouping my STH cost. I'm selling the pair, including a parking pass for Lot 4, for $80. PM me if interested.

trobby

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
If the Sens don't jump all over the Oilers from the start, I'll be upset.
It's such an early start time for them, we should just pepper them with shots and knock them off their game.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Damn have to work till 4 :/ hopefully I'll catch some of the third on the radio on the way home.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
This is just silly.

Not really. Lehner plays better against offensive powered teams. Anderson can sometimes get lost in flurry of chance after chance when the defense are running around with their heads cut off but Lehner frustrated the opposing teams by making saves look easy.

I'm just saying Lehner plays better in big game situations, even though this isn't a big game... they have offensive weapons and we have weak defense to make it so.

Anderson best games: Buffalo, NJD

Lehner: San Jose, Anaheim

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
So we're making these conclusions based only on the 7 games this season as opposed to the careers that each goalie has had (in which Anderson has always stepped up in big game situations). Sens have given up tons of scoring chances against either team, and Anderson made bigger saves against NJ than Lehner made against any team this year.

The Lehner hard-on is a bit ridiculous. He's not a generational goalie. He's not a superstar. He's played 27 NHL games in his career.

Anderson has always typically thrived when playing against teams that create a lot of chances. When has Lehner EVER shown to be a better goalie than Anderson? Lehner is great, and he's a great option to have as a back-up and has a ton of potential...but there's no reason to make things up about Anderson to try and push Lehner.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Not really. Lehner plays better against offensive powered teams. Anderson can sometimes get lost in flurry of chance after chance when the defense are running around with their heads cut off but Lehner frustrated the opposing teams by making saves look easy.

I'm just saying Lehner plays better in big game situations, even though this isn't a big game... they have offensive weapons and we have weak defense to make it so.

Anderson best games: Buffalo, NJD

Lehner: San Jose, Anaheim

See: Playoffs 2013 vs Habs

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

The Habs didn't exactly have a ton of fire power against us in that series. Nothing that compares to the likes of the Thornton line or Getzlaf line.

Not that I really agree with the overall point, but I dunno if this really helps the other side of the argument.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Fear... Plekanec?

Better examples would have been Sharks 2010.

I unno I just feel like against more powerhouse teams goalies face more "2nd chances" or rebound shots. Anderson is a almost unbeatable most the time with 1st shot but his playing technique sometimes opens up holes on rebounds while Lehner is more consistent in technique to stop follow-ups.

To be dead honest, I'm not discrediting Anderson in anyway, we are just realllly lucky to be spoiled by both of them.

I could be underrated Anderson but I've noticed Lehner plays his best games against powerhouses. Against Boston last year he was unbelieveable. So far in 97 shots this year he's been all the more better. Basically in teams we were definitely considered the lesser of the two, Lehner gives us chance to win it. Anderson plays phenomenal against teams that turn it up but aren't known for their explosiveness.

The Habs didn't exactly have a ton of fire power against us in that series. Nothing that compares to the likes of the Thornton line or Getzlaf line.

Not that I really agree with the overall point, but I dunno if this really helps the other side of the argument.

Yea, it's one of those things that you can see but can't explain or maybe nothing to explain, not sure.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Silfverberg trademark goal yet again in the shootout. I'm going to miss that dearly :(

Wow, that was the best attempt he's done. That shot was absolutely unstoppable. Smith knew where he was going but didn't even see it.

If Silfverberg learns to get that shot away faster... watch out.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Wow, that was the best attempt he's done. That shot was absolutely unstoppable. Smith knew where he was going but didn't even see it.

If Silfverberg learns to get that shot away faster... watch out.

Apart of his shot being so good is his quick release.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Players drafted after first round in the past 10 years who play in NHL today:

Senators:
Jean-Gabriel Pageau
Patrick Wiercioch
Zack Smith
Jakob Silfverberg
Robin Lehner
Eric Gryba
Erik Condra
Colin Greening
Peter Regin

Oilers:
None

A while back, on the Oilers board, I had a post comparing the draft success of the Oilers from between 2001 and 2009. Their drafts were remarkably consistent, in that every year they drafted only one guy who would become an NHL regular. Usually, that guy was taken in the 1st round, with a few exceptions for the 2nd round (Stoll and Petry).

By comparison, Ottawa and Nashville had produced, on average, around 2 players per draft. Moreover, they each had a couple drafts that netted three or more NHL calibre players, and they had some success in later rounds.

If I remember correctly, Detroit fell closer to Edmonton than Ottawa/Nashville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->