GDT: Oilers Rookies vs Nait/MacEwan All Star Squad 7pm MT Rogers Place

Which Tacos?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Katz is all about the money. Pretty sad. Didnt he promise to build a practice facility for the UofA many years ago when they were negotiating the arena deal?
He promised to.Katz is about as honest and above board as Trump.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Jebus did they. For 10bucks more you could see Smashing Pumpkins. better than this game X100

hopefully some of the proceeds went to charity but only 4K attended at these prices. That is ridiculous, students don't have that kind of dough and then to buy the expensive food and drink at rogers.

I know it's different .... but still: whenever hockey prices come into discussion I will always remember that just a few years ago I got decent to good tickets for Inter - Milan (derby in Serie A) and Inter - Barcelona (semis in champions league) for around 20 EUR a piece.

Hockey prices are so damn high. I get there is a certain number of seats and the market/demand rules but still... For a game like this... Now they are charging 10 eur to come to Gothenburg and watch the Oilers practice the day before the game vs NJD (tickets for the game were 150 eur minimum iirc, sold out of course).

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
in fairness the Oilers have their own foundation and I think (not sure) that they wanted some proceeds to go to that. but as we know arrangements change all the time and I didn't see any proceeds going to oilers foundation connected with this game, this time.

What I have heard before is it just being a matter of convenience and patronage. The Oilers with the community rink have partnered with GMac and Nait who are nearby and figure they get more out of that arrangement then the southside UofA Golden Bears.

Actually UofA is just as close as Nait so I don't quite get it.
Ever take a look at what the Oilers charge for management fees for the foundation?
Katz/Mandel and cronies don't miss a trick to line their pockets

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Ever take a look at what the Oilers charge for management fees for the foundation?

I've criticized the same. The administration of these proceeds are sick. A smaller proportion than anybody would think ends up with the foundation.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I know it's different .... but still: whenever hockey prices come into discussion I will always remember that just a few years ago I got decent to good tickets for Inter - Milan (derby in Serie A) and Inter - Barcelona (semis in champions league) for around 20 EUR a piece.

Hockey prices are so damn high. I get there is a certain number of seats and the market/demand rules but still... For a game like this... Now they are charging 10 eur to come to Gothenburg and watch the Oilers practice the day before the game vs NJD (tickets for the game were 150 eur minimum iirc, sold out of course).

I don't see it continuing endlessly. Somewhere along the line sports became a religion. With fans lining up to throw money at it. A shift will occur, and I think it is, and that varying cohorts or walks of life are just saying no to it. I don't pay for this. Most of pro sports has overpriced itself and deserves what it gets.

But on the local scene the armor is crinkling. Ottawa is imploding, fans walking away in droves refusing to support the club.

Here in Edmonton for the first time in decades the team will not be able to state sellouts with a straight face and interestingly single game tickets are LOWER priced than they have been in years (this despite STH prices going up) The Oilers are really screwing this up. They're pissing off STH and even their waitlist. Its just easier to buy single game tickets now or resales for cheap.

This is not a great situation for the Oilers but its a deserved one.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005

I've criticized the same. The administration of these proceeds are sick. A smaller proportion than anybody would think ends up with the foundation.

As the EOCF relies primarily on events to raise funds, and not direct donations, their fundraising costs are on par with similar organizations.

The EOCF's administration costs run at about 2-2.3 percent of revenues, which is a very good number. It's their fundraising costs that skew the overall cost numbers.

And, no, Katz and Mandel are not "lining the pockets" with money from the EOCF...Jesus. :facepalm:

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Thanks. I though this NAIT was also university hockey, but I guess that is not the case? Or is it just that they are a lower tier school/team?

Here is last years CIS nationals. They had it 4 years in a row in my area (Atlantic Canada). It draws very well here. Great fast hockey.

Men’s Hockey

UNB and Alberta have won the last 6 championships. They scout very well

David Johnston University Cup - Wikipedia

Reactions: LaGu

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
in fairness the Oilers have their own foundation and I think (not sure) that they wanted some proceeds to go to that. but as we know arrangements change all the time and I didn't see any proceeds going to oilers foundation connected with this game, this time.

What I have heard before is it just being a matter of convenience and patronage. The Oilers with the community rink have partnered with GMac and Nait who are nearby and figure they get more out of that arrangement then the southside UofA Golden Bears.

Actually UofA is just as close as Nait so I don't quite get it.
GMac uses the smaller rink attached to Rogers and are in the neighborhood. GMac on its own isn't even close to good enough to play them so they figured throw Nait in there too and grab the best guys and go for it.

UofA would be the whole team or none as one of their greatest strengths is their system play and the team as a whole

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just because this is being questioned heres the facts;

Edmonton Oilers Community Foundation

The foundation themselves had felt they needed to work on more money going directly to the charity, AFTER criticism occurred around the amount being LESS than 50% in multiple reporting years. So that not surprisingly 2017 saw the most going to the charities of any year posted.

see the small graph on the side entitled "cents to the cause"

But again 2017 being AFTER there was criticism of the administration and management of the fund.

Note also the Oilers community foundation charity rating was 1/4 stars and a +C rating, take fwiw but this is the most independent and respected view you will find on charities research.

The argument that all such funds have inefficiency is perfectly valid, which is why people should donate DIRECT to the causes whenever possible INSTEAD of Middleman funders.

just my 2 cents

Also, this is relevant to the gdt in question in case anybody is questioning this being here. But lets get back to Oilers prospects anyway.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
GMac uses the smaller rink attached to Rogers and are in the neighborhood. GMac on its own isn't even close to good enough to play them so they figured throw Nait in there too and grab the best guys and go for it.

UofA would be the whole team or none as one of their greatest strengths is their system play and the team as a whole

Agreed on all. UofA system play set it apart from most. Would not be the same just to add on some players. to that degree I wonder if the "Allstars are far inferior to what either Nait or Gmac would bring just as their own teams. Looked like the Nait goalie was better.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I don't see it continuing endlessly. Somewhere along the line sports became a religion. With fans lining up to throw money at it. A shift will occur, and I think it is, and that varying cohorts or walks of life are just saying no to it. I don't pay for this. Most of pro sports has overpriced itself and deserves what it gets.

But on the local scene the armor is crinkling. Ottawa is imploding, fans walking away in droves refusing to support the club.

Here in Edmonton for the first time in decades the team will not be able to state sellouts with a straight face and interestingly single game tickets are LOWER priced than they have been in years (this despite STH prices going up) The Oilers are really screwing this up. They're pissing off STH and even their waitlist. Its just easier to buy single game tickets now or resales for cheap.

This is not a great situation for the Oilers but its a deserved one.
Maybe you're right, I hope you are. But I doubt it. Ottawa is .... well a shit show right now for so many reasons, but they'll move stadium, re-locate or just bounce back in 5 years or so and folks will pay again.

People are too fickle and subject to the massive PR spending some will keep on buying (probably not the real supporters in the end). Even in Sweden though lately about 30% of tickets are bought by companies giving them away to clients/friends etc. For me that's a lot considering that their interest obvioisly raises the price/market for the remaining tickets.

I guess McD probably saved edm from going full Ottawa, so that's something. Imagine the fan base without him... Imagine we would have drafted at 3rd OV: Dylan Strome ... Drai is a beast but I don't know that he alone would have been able to drag the franchaise out of the sewers.

Pissing off STH is something I think too many hockey teams lately, not only in the NHL. "Since you're already here, and since we know you'll be back again"

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Here is last years CIS nationals. They had it 4 years in a row in my area (Atlantic Canada). It draws very well here. Great fast hockey.

Men’s Hockey

UNB and Alberta have won the last 6 championships. They scout very well

David Johnston University Cup - Wikipedia

To note that the illustrious Alberta Golden Bears have appeared 21 times and won 16 times, and invariably on the road, travelling usually the farthest of any team to get there. ;)

At times the tournament even has some whacked out formats where the home team gets preferential first matches and the Bears, almost always topteam in the nation get tough teams from the start.

The Bears should be the team facing the Oilers Rooks. Next to the Oilers the Bears are the best team in town. The best non professional club in Alberta probably.

Last edited:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
We (U of A) make up for our dominance in hockey with us being totally pathetic in every way in football. Bears football has been so utterly terrible for so long.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We (U of A) make up for our dominance in hockey with us being totally pathetic in every way in football. Bears football has been so utterly terrible for so long.

In fairness the Football program is about on par historically, and among the best in the west. Just not recently.

But all other UofA teams fare really well nationally. CIS dominance, really, and with hockey being the profile CIS sport.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
To note that the illustrious Alberta Golden Bears have appeared 21 times and won 16 times, and invariably on the road, travelling usually the farthest of any team to get there. ;)

At times the tournament even has some whacked out formats where the home team gets preferential first matches and the Bears, almost always topteam in the nation get tough teams from the start.

The Bears should be the team facing the Oilers Rooks. Next to the Oilers the Bears are the best team in town. The best non professional club in Alberta probably.

I have seen it here in Halifax every year and the ratings were based outta Toronto I believe. The reason it comes this way in Halifax is that it sells out almost every game involving an Atlantic team. It is going to Lethbridge in 2019 then returning to Atlantic Canada

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010

Better than the Lacombe/Bentley Generals?

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
They were talking about why they are playing this combined team and not the Bears anymore on 1260 this morning.

They figure Katz and the U of A had some sort of disagreement or falling out of some kind so Katz took the ball and went home.

Again, they were merely speculating this could be the reason why.

Quite simple. Clare Drake doesn't make Katz any money.

The Golden Bears don't want to play the Oilers rookies at Rogers Place, they want to have it at Clare Drake where it has always been. Shame Katz and the Oilers group are that cheap really.

Reactions: Daryls Nose

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Is there a taco battle tonight?can someone post the link to the YouTube stream?
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad