News Article: Oilers release Burdasov from PTO

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Training Camp didnt show you that. Youtube did.

When the day comes that Holland starts using Youtube for hsi evaluations thats the days he should be fired.

Ahhh....

I watched him in his preseason games and even on a crappy stream it's rather obvious he has a pretty nice shot. Not sure what you were watching if you disagree.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Training Camp didnt show you that. Youtube did.

When the day comes that Holland starts using Youtube for hsi evaluations thats the days he should be fired.
Literally every single interview with anyone since he got to camp mentioned his shot. It's obviously something the team isn't regularly seeing on the team.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
What Tippet said was that he wasn't sure if that's something that player would be into or not... "so it's in that players court". He also said "right now we just don't have the time to say ok... hang around for a month and we'll see how it goes".

It's basically a case of letting players like Haas/Persson/Nygard adapt/acclimatize and have some time to get used to NA because that's who they brought in initially and who already have contracts... but Burdasov is the late arrival and they really don't seem to want to make that same effort for him.

Or maybe its a case of guys like Haas/Persson/Nygard being open to acclimatizing to north american hockey by playing in the AHL for a bit, I'd much rather give them a chance than keeping Burd around if he was only going to stay if he got a decent contract and was guaranteed nhl ice time

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Ahhh....

I watched him in his preseason games and even on a crappy stream it's rather obvious he has a pretty nice shot. Not sure what you were watching if you disagree.

Its not obvious at all...if you had never seen a youtube clip before watching him you would have no clue about his shot.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Literally every single interview with anyone since he got to camp mentioned his shot. It's obviously something the team isn't regularly seeing on the team.

Talking and some video clips shouldnt determine whether or not a player makes the team.

I doubt very much that there was any poster on here that was pulling for Burdasov more than I was but based on what we saw in the Pre season there is simply not enough evidence to base a million dollar decision on.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
So what.
Talk is even less valuable than youtube.

Talking and some video clips shouldnt determine whether or not a player makes the team

You think praise from the coaches, and other players are worthless in judging a players abilities?
He obviously had a good shot, and you're being a contrarian just for the sake of it if you aren't willing to admit that based on NHL players, coaches, and being able to see it on youtube.

That combined with the fact that he wasn't a liability would have been enough for me to give him a shot compared to the same old crap we've been icing. Whether his contract demands were reasonable or not are tbd though so I'm not too torn up about it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You think praise from the coaches, and other players are worthless in judging a players abilities?
He obviously had a good shot, and you're being a contrarian just for the sake of it if you aren't willing to admit that based on NHL players, coaches, and being able to see it on youtube.

That combined with the fact that he wasn't a liability would have been enough for me to give him a shot compared to the same old crap we've been icing. Whether his contract demands were reasonable or not are tbd though so I'm not too torn up about it.

Actually I am not being a contrarian just for the sake of it. I am just an advocate for common sense.
He had a limited window to do something and the best he did was to not be a liability.
That is simply not enough nor should it be...unless of course you are trying to invent reasons to critique the team.

Reactions: North

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
If he really wanted to be in the NHL then he would have signed a 2way deal, went down to the AHL and force his way onto the NHL roster. I really don't see this as a big loss.
Fair. Hate to say it but we heard so much about his shot but really saw nothing of it. I liked him but needed to see more of him.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Actually I am not being a contrarian just for the sake of it. I am just an advocate for common sense.
He had a limited window to do something and the best he did was to not be a liability.
That is simply not enough nor should it be...unless of course you are trying to invent reasons to critique the team.

Common sense is denying the guy has a good shot when every actual source says otherwise?
Where did I critique the team in such a manner that you need to be defensive of them? Was it where I said what I would have done? Well if I can't say that on a forum without you spouting off about "common sense" then I guess I'm gonna have a bad time, cause I'm full of opinions.

It's not like I'm here calling the oilers organization morons for letting him go. I made no such judgement call because I don't know the whole picture. I said multiple times his contract could have been an issue.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Yikes and I'm not even drinking yet. I'm saving it for the regular season when much drinking will be required. ;)

LOL - I love this. Thank you both for the good laugh.

Sad he's gone but there's lots of reasons he could be gone. He didn't really blow the doors off in pre-seasom but flashes here and there. He had a skill we need which is the hardest pill to swallow.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Common sense is denying the guy has a good shot when every actual source says otherwise?
Where did I critique the team in such a manner that you need to be defensive of them? Was it where I said what I would have done? Well if I can't say that on a forum without you spouting off about "common sense" then I guess I'm gonna have a bad time, cause I'm full of opinions.

It's not like I'm here calling the oilers organization morons for letting him go. I made no such judgement call because I don't know the whole picture. I said multiple times his contract could have been an issue.

Come on man...if you really believe that TC matters then you cant use youtube clips and heresay to decide if and when a player makes the team.

That is common sense. No need to take that personally...its just kind of obvious.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Come on man...if you really believe that TC matters then you cant use youtube clips and heresay to decide if and when a player makes the team.

That is common sense.

You can absolutely use the word of the coach and his peers to form an opinion of one aspect of a players game. Why do we bother listening to scouts then? it's all just hearsay right?

If you're honestly going to tell me you as a fan can't decide if a player has a good shot based on 2 games, youtube videos, the word of the NHL team coach he's playing for, his peers in interviews, or even an NHL goalie in koskinen who was quoted as saying "“He’s one of the players who can score from distance. He’s got one of the heaviest shots I’ve ever faced, and quickest releases,” Source. Then maybe you're just looking for reasons to argue?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You can absolutely use the word of the coach and his peers to form an opinion of one aspect of a players game. Why do we bother listening to scouts then? it's all just hearsay right?

If you're honestly going to tell me you as a fan can't decide if a player has a good shot based on 2 games, youtube videos, the word of the NHL team coach he's playing for, his peers in interviews, or even an NHL goalie in koskinen who was quoted as saying "“He’s one of the players who can score from distance. He’s got one of the heaviest shots I’ve ever faced, and quickest releases,” Source. Then maybe you're just looking for reasons to argue?

Look...if the coaching staff was that enamored with Burdasov they would have found a way to make this work...dont you think?

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Look...if the coaching staff was that enamored with Burdasov they would have found a way to make this work...dont you think?

This isn't the point of what I said at all. I said he showed me an aspect of his game that we don't currently posses, and then you started calling me out for thinking he has a good shot. I never said he should be on the team right now because I don't know the details.

I'm done arguing with you, you're just moving the goalposts now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This isn't the point of what I said at all. I said he showed me an aspect of his game that we don't currently posses, and then you started calling me out for thinking he has a good shot. I never said he should be on the team right now because I don't know the details.

I'm done arguing with you, you're just moving the goalposts now.

Okay man..so you saw something that was so influential that you decided he should make the team.

I watch a fair bit of hockey too and was specifically watching Burdasov (along with a few other players) and I didnt see one single thing that set him apart. Yes he didnt hurt the team...that is just not enough.
Keep in mind that I was really pulling for him as well.

So no...I dont agree at all with you here.

Last edited:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Tippet said he just didn't have enough time to get adjusted and his English was a problem. And Visa problems were why he showed up as late as he did else he would have been here a lot earlier. Hoping he gets a PTO next year. I'd like to see more of what he can do.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Tippet said he just didn't have enough time to get adjusted and his English was a problem. And Visa problems were why he showed up as late as he did else he would have been here a lot earlier. Hoping he gets a PTO next year. I'd like to see more of what he can do.
probably the same reason they gave in Russia when they fired MacT.
Not sure how language becomes a factor in EDM.. no other organization seems to have an issue.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I agree.
It may well be that the team wasnt willing to use up a contract and put themselves to the cap max based on what they were able to witness first hand.
Unfortunately there were a lot of things working against him and it really is too bad.
I think that there is a player there.

It just irks me a little to see posts like...he has a wicked shot...because we only know about his shot based on youtube clips. That simply doesnt have much currency when it comes to a tryout and nor should it.

Of course some posters are looking under rocks for spurious evidence to criticize the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad