Confirmed with Link: Oilers re-sign RFA Iiro Pakarinen (1-year, $725k)

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Iiro Pakarinen- A California Dreamin' Parody

Stopped in the high slot
Got slashed along the way
When I got there I just dropped down on one knee
Top shelf from Puljujarvi
You know McClellan likes my game
He knows I'm here to play
Iiro Pakarinen (Iiro Pakarinen)
On such a winter's day

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I like that he came in under his qualifying offer. Pakarinen should be a solid role player, he's young enough to improve, can skate, shoot, hit and is solid defensively. Good signing.

Kyyrii

May 30, 2016
That's good. I like him more than Korpi. Kinda reminds me of Miika Salomäki, one of my favorite Finnish bottom 6ers.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Not a bad gig getting paid $750,000 to be an English-Finnish translator

J/k, i like paka

lol yup. I'm good with the signing.

Same thing for keeping Gazdic around. He cooks and takes care of Hall and McDavid. Plus I like having a guy in the lineup that can beat the **** out of anyone in the league if they take liberties on our guys.

Even just keep him on the roster but don't dress him. He's good for team camaraderie having character guys like him around our young stars.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Great signing, was hoping for it, especially more so since we picked up his countryman JP, which will keep him company. What about Korpokospki, what is his contract like?

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Good singing. A 4th liner for very cheap. Also can help Puljujarvi with language barrier. Any news on whether the rest of our RFAs received qualifying offers? I think all we have is Musil, Clendening, Gazdic, and Kessy.

I'd sign all of them to cheap 2-way contracts if possible. Musil has been good in the AHL and may be one of those defenders that becomes a good defensive D-man in his late 20s (a Scuderi-type), Clendening would be a good AHL/injury-call up RHD.

Gazdic and Kessy are useful at the AHL level; while the fighting game is being phased out of the NHL, there is still a lot of goonery in the A.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Bubble player but I like his heart. Could be a good 4th liner in time.

I have no doubt that JP is happy about this signing.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Like the player. Hits, has hands, works hard, whats not to like? This is a guy that can pot 10 goals in this league on limited minutes. Not easy player to play against. Glad the Oilers are recognizing his contribution.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
His ability to score 5-hole is way higher than league average.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
His ability to score 5-hole is way higher than league average.

Lol I remember that from his highlights that I watched when we first signed him, but I don't think he's actually scored a single 5-hole goal in the NHL yet. I think he's got a little more offence to give though, and I'm not going to complain about a guy who can throw 200+ hits and PK.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
This is great news. So now the Oilers have:

McDavid = Gretzky
Puljujärvi = Kurri
Pakarinen = Tikkanen

Sooo... one Paul Coffey away from the Cup? :sarcasm:

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
What's going to happen with Pakarinen? We seem to have an abundance of 4th liners. Waivers? Let him play for a few?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
What's going to happen with Pakarinen? We seem to have an abundance of 4th liners. Waivers? Let him play for a few?

I think it would have to be waivers at this point unless someone else gets injured before he's back. Hopefully he would clear if that was the case and give Bakersfield a boost. I still like him as a depth fill in so if we can manage to hang onto him it would help our depth for sure.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

injuries are a guarantee on this team.

I actually want to see Pakarinen get in some games, I like his style and he was only progressing each season in North America

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

He should definitely get a conditioning stint in the AHL first, based on his play we can make our decision from there. While Slepyshev has made a good case for himself to stick with the club, I don't think he has cemented his position with the team and is waiver exempt unlike Pakarinen. If they want to go the asset preservation route cause they are scared Pakarinen would get claimed, they can send any of Puljujarvi, Slepyshev, or Caggiula down.

I haven't heard anything about Pakarinen being close to coming back yet, my gut says it will be a non-issue cause in all likelyhood we will have an injury prior to him coming off of his injury. Ultimately if we do have to waive him I don't think he is a particularly painful loss, but ofcourse I'd rather keep him than lose him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad