Proposal: Oilers - Rangers exchange 1st's

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I gotta be honest........fair value, pretty good proposal there. As a Rangers fan I take it.

In 2008 draft BUF flipped with LA by one space because they were not targeting the same player. Buffalo gave L.a a 3rd to move up one spot.

I don’t think Spooner or Namestnikov is less than a 2nd + 3 rd

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
1. Kudos to OP for good effort, notwithstanding his premise that moving up 1 in this spot is a difference maker worth paying some price that your trade partner considers is worth taking.

2. OP said RD needed in worst way and could use a W.

3. We'll take the risk on DeAngelo continuing to improve, esp now that he won't be in ridiculous AV system. So
Pionk [elc] + Spooner [rfa] for 10OA + Isles 2019 3rd.
That's an immediate hole for us on RD, but the pick as an investment should be worth it.

I see a deal w/Canes which gets NY McKeown, who I give shot at 3RD, and gamble moving DeA to 2RD, sink or swim.
Also if we have Smith still, we give him 3RD mins to prove himself and work up his value.

Yes? No?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
1. Kudos to OP for good effort, notwithstanding his premise that moving up 1 in this spot is a difference maker worth paying some price that your trade partner considers is worth taking.

3. We'll take the risk on DeAngelo continuing to improve, esp now that he won't be in ridiculous AV system. So
That's an immediate hole for us on RD, but the pick as an investment should be worth it.

I see a deal w/Canes which gets NY McKeown, who I give shot at 3RD, and gamble moving DeA to 2RD, sink or swim.
Also if we have Smith still, we give him 3RD mins to prove himself and work up his value.

Yes? No?
Not enough value coming the Oilers way imo.

On a side note, what do you think Pionk's potential is?

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Nobody knows yet. Showed some really good flashes. If he can bulk up about 10-15 pounds of muscle over the next couple years, they may have another Stralman type. Stralman was awful early in his career before coming to NY. Pionk has a lot more offensive skills than Stralman. Probably not as much on the defensive side. His development will be a huge factor going forward. You'll also know right away what they think about him in this draft. If they load up on right handed defenseman, they probably aren't all that impressed.

Howevever, I suspect the Rangers will draft heavy on forwards in this draft. Especially on the wings and maybe add one righty handed defense in the first or second round.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

1. value: is it close enough in your op for a tweak NY can live with? If yes, pls take a stab.

2. prefer DeA? Not closed minded to dealing him but unless enough is on the table it pays to develop him and use/trade him later.

3. potential: Pionk has poise up the waszu. Not brainiac and has more to learn, but smart to start and looks like he will get even head-ier.
Physically, he is adequate. Not fast, but fast enough. Not stud strength, but enough to get the job done. Etc. Not a scorer but places shots low like a good D should. I see 5-7 increasingly good years, assuming no injuries beyond standard bang up/aches and pains. By then, there may be too many forwards with too much speed for him to keep up, and even smartest possible positional zone may be untenable to avoid being exploited, tho that depends on the rest of team speed.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Hard to say. He doesn't quit on the play. He'll take one for the team. He'll try and play physical. He's got a really good first pass exit. He's mobile, but not overly fast. What's the problem? His size doesn't match the way he wants to play. Small sample size but he has a way of taking himself out of position - of course he's also playing with Staal...

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Pionk just had a great end to the season and was playing first pairing today for team USA at the Worlds. Moving him to "take a risk on DeAngelo" is a terrible idea. He's the more valuable asset and actually knows how to play defense.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Pionk just had a great end to the season and was playing first pairing today for team USA at the Worlds. Moving him to "take a risk on DeAngelo" is a terrible idea. He's the more valuable asset and actually knows how to play defense.

He is the more valuable asset atm.
That is why w/a + he gets a 10A.

I like Pionk. He is an overachiever so far.
It SEEMS he is getting max of his average + but not outstanding physical skills. Keeping him is a prudent, but safe option.

However, if we want to grow, you take the chance, even with risk of backfire, of picking a more talented player at 10OA and hope/reasonably expect you should wind up with a better player in 2ish years.

Playing safe = death = a team that can win SOME games.
Gamble = bust which is worse OR success = Cup competitive roster.
Since Cup is ultimate objective, keeping Pionk makes sense, but trading him makes more sense --- IF EDM ponies up.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
But... why tho.

I’m completely fine picking whoever drops to 10. One of Kotkaniemi or the D will be there and if by some miracle they aren’t, grab Bode Wilde.

Dealing a bunch of picks and Caleb Jones to climb one spot and grab a middle sixer is... bad.

To be fair, our bottom 6 scoring this season was absolute trash. Spooner would be welcome. I think we should just deal for Spooner though.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
As a Rangers fan, no way I make the trade until the pick is up.. I don’t want Kotkaniemi. The only way I make this trade is if 2/5 of Bouchard, Dobson, Boqvist, Hughes, Wahlstrom are on the board. The Rangers need to leave this draft with one of those players.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Do you think DeAngelo could break out under a new coach?

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
I am very keen on drafting Boqvist, and so however we could make that happen, I would consider it. I think with a bit more seasoning Ethan Bear will be ready for the bigs, so a guy like DeAngelo is not overly appealing. I'm guessing NY is not interested in packaging Chytil or Howden? Even for a top 4 defenseman ?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
At the 9th pick in the draft, the BPA will very likely be an offensive RHD, whether it's Boqvist, Bouchard, or Dobson. At 10th, the pick will probably be Jesperi Kotkaniemi, a large scoring forward that can play LW, RW, or C. Looking at the Rangers lineup, they already have Shattenkirk, DeAngelo, and Pionk, 3 offense first defenseman. They could also use a goal scorer to play with Chytil and Andersson in the future.

On the other hand, the Oilers are desperate for a RHD that can move the puck and quarterback a powerplay. They could also use a winger. The Rangers have Namestnikov and Spooner who are both RFAs this year and could be expendable. From what I've gathered, Rangers fans value them at around a 2nd and a 3rd/B prospect.

If the Oilers overpaid slightly for one of them, could they move up one spot in the draft, allowing them to get their defenseman and giving the Rangers Kotkaniemi?

:edmonton 9th Overall Pick, Ryan Spooner/Vladislav Namestnikov, 2019 5th

:rangers10th Overall pick, 2018 2nd , 2019 3rd (EDM), 2019 3rd (NYI), Caleb Jones

This deal would be done if Kotkaniemi and one of Bouchard/Dobson/ Boqvist are available at 9th
This is a... surprisingly fair and good deal.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Its possible because AV's defensive system was the worst I've ever seen. However in watching DeAngelo he's one of those guys IMO that doesn't make very good reads a lot of the time. He's been able to make up for it with excellent skating all the way to the AHL level, but it's not enough in the NHL. He has a LONG way to go defensively.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I gotta be honest........fair value, pretty good proposal there. As a Rangers fan I take it.

Good proposal, value is very balanced. If Montreal doesn't reach for Kotkaniemi and he's still there at 10 I'd do it.

Fair value, don't think I do it as a Rangers fan though only because we have enough picks in the next couple of seasons that I would prefer to get 1 better piece for Spooner/Namestnikov than a bunch of meh picks.

Good job OP.

Damn solid proposal.

Id do it. We get a LW for Drai that has proven he can produce with elite talent and pretty much guarantee we get a RHD. Very solid proposal.

Yes? No?

I think it’s really fair. Especially if it’s Names instead of Spooner, I’d do it from Edmontons POV

One of the best proposals on hf. Solid.

This is a... surprisingly fair and good deal.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

He has improved with more time despite AV as coach favoring vets and irregular def. system.
He has superior, bordering excellent tools with the puck.
Skating is above average but not incredible or beyond.
But he is learning the game, esp NHL level D, and as he gets more comfortable, he shows incremental improvment
He could be victim of numbers game on the wrong team pushing towards path of regression, but more likely he slowly improves until he masters defense within comfort zone, including how to work with with different [types of] partners. Once he has enough experience, he will be given more minutes and his production will increase. How long it takes to realize enough experience remains to be seen.

So the answer to your ? is who would he be paired with [best choice a healthy Klef], who can he rely on for mentoring [Larsson], and would he get enuf mins? Also will Fs do enough or will he and other team backliners have to overwork to cover for them?
Since most of your Ds are lefty, I would see after Larsson he competes with Bear for 2nd pair RD.
As to coach, the right guy will nurture/exploit the above.
Another AV will ef it up.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad