Speculation: Oilers preparing to offer sheet an RFA Defenseman?

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
I swear I'd the Oilers offer sheet Ristolainen like they did Vanek...
Buffalo, with their $19+M in cap space would easily match. But it would still make me mad as h*ll.

Be ready for an offer sheet for one of edmonton's many young players coming back at you down the road, if they do OS Risto.
They better not let McDavid anywhere near RFA. Guarantee someone would offer him a max contract (probably Tim Murray).

If the Oilers let McDavid become an RFA, I fully expect someone to try to offer sheet him. Offer sheets are part of the CBA.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
They did offer Hall for Ristolainen. Tim Murray said NO.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mirtle/status/748475726874087424

People really need to read this: http://www.tsn.ca/inside-the-blockbuster-trades-for-subban-and-hall-1.518611

The Oilers would have preferred to trade Ryan Nugent-Hopkins or Jordan Eberle instead for Larsson, but Devils GM Ray Shero had no interest in those players. It was Hall or bust.

I definitely wasn't looking to trade Adam Larsson," Shero said over the phone Wednesday night. "But I may never get a chance again to get Taylor Hall."

And this, since apparently we're in some alternate universe where having Larsson on the top pair is bad for a team like Oilers.

Shero, after being relayed the heat that his counterpart was taking in the wake of the trade in Edmonton, shed light on Larsson, a player that most Oilers fans obviously haven't watched play much before: "I know one thing, if you look, Adam Larsson and Andy Greene had the toughest quality of competition in the entire league this year. And the worst zone starts. They were matched up against the best players every night. ...

"Adam is a heavy player, he's hard down low. He's an unbelievable pro at his age. He's an easy guy to coach and play with. Maybe people don't know him, but he's a good guy to build a defense around. We're going to have a hole there with him gone for sure."

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
If you had watched any of those 71 games you would know he was part of the problem not the solution. Why does every draft pick have to make the roster for the Oilers right out of Jr?

Totally agree - Nurse should be in the AHL.

Although I do find it ironic that there's talk about offer-sheeting Ristolainen and sending Nurse down, when the Oilers drafted Nurse with the 7th pick in 2013 and Risto went 8th...

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
With the buyout of Lori Korpiskoski today the Oilers will be sitting with 14.4 million in cap space(not including 3.25m for Ference on LTIR all season).
Current Projected Defence

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-XXXX
Davidson-Fayne
Reinhart

EDIT: Yes, I meant Larsson. It's bad enough he's on the top pair but I still have to add Fayne on the roster was worse

Tyson Barrie, Michael Stone, Matthew Dumba, Cody Ceci, Rasmus Ristolainen, and Connor Murphy.

Which teams would be the most vulnerable?

Correct me if I am wrong. But wasn't Barrie extended in a multi year deal. Pretty sure you can't offer sheet him

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I find it so funny when Edmonton talks about offer sheeting Risto or trading for him when they picked Nurse right before we picked Risto :laugh:

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
So realistically the best contract someone will offer is 7.3M for 5 years right?

Anything more than that and the compensation gets scary

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I find it so funny when Edmonton talks about offer sheeting Risto or trading for him when they picked Nurse right before we picked Risto :laugh:

It all came down to who MacT ran into in the bathroom. If Risto's grandpa or dad or someone was in there, he would be an Oiler right now ;)

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
I reckon it will be looking at trade talks with COL and then also looking at Demers. Maybe they're not sure if they can get Demers yet so will wait on his decision before they move on to plan B which I'd say is a trade. then Plan C might be a offer sheet. but probably more like plan h

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Nurse in the AHL............. but FAYNE and REINHART on his list. No sir. He FORGOT about the guy. :laugh:

Nurse will be playing in Edmonton. We actually have no real need for another defender at this point.

Klefbom Larsson

Nurse Sekera

Davidson Fayne

Reinhart

Nurse ****ing sucks

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011

Making up for mistakes with further mistakes like not picking Larsson in 2011 and cost us Taylor Hall.

Never try to out-stupid the Oilers.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Jets match any conceivable offer sheet from the Oilers. If they don't like the term, they'll turn around and trade him to the Bruins or some other team.

If the Oilers offer sheet Trouba, be prepared for the Jets to bring the hammer down on Draisaitl and Puljujarvi in a few seasons.

Let whoever OS Trouba have him.

We'd be better off with picks.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I can't see the Oilers offer sheeting anyone.

If they succeed in acquiring a player they will not only have a bloated contract for a young player with promise (only way I see a team letting one of these guys go), but they will be targeted if/when McDavid, Puljujarvi, and Draisaitl become eligible.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
People are really damn stupid if they are counting Nurse out by the age of 21

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
With the buyout of Lori Korpiskoski today the Oilers will be sitting with 14.4 million in cap space(not including 3.25m for Ference on LTIR all season).
Current Projected Defence

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-XXXX
Davidson-Fayne
Reinhart

EDIT: Yes, I meant Larsson. It's bad enough he's on the top pair but I still have to add Fayne on the roster was worse

Tyson Barrie, Michael Stone, Matthew Dumba, Cody Ceci, Rasmus Ristolainen, and Connor Murphy.

Which teams would be the most vulnerable?

Are you drunk?

I'll take Larsson from you then.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
People really need to read this: http://www.tsn.ca/inside-the-blockbuster-trades-for-subban-and-hall-1.518611

And this, since apparently we're in some alternate universe where having Larsson on the top pair is bad for a team like Oilers.

They keep saying "the toughest minutes in the nhl" but they got blasted while doing so. Advanced stats are terrible, he had the 3rd highest save percentage in the league(>60 games)

Sub .500 corsi in all situations, 13th highest pdo in the league over 60 games.

This just tells me Schneider is a top 3 goalie haha. Jury is still out on Larsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad