Post-Game Talk: Oilers played with more jam

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I think I should throw a temper tantrum more often after an Oilers loss! I saw a replay of the game and all I have to say is wtf was that team we saw yesterday? Night and day difference from the season opener. That was one of the best games I've seen from McDavid. He made something happen nearly every shift and you could just tell he was feeling it all night long. Drai also had a sneaky good night setting up players with his excellent passing ability. RNH also had a great game. No real flash with him but he was in the right place at the right time and he seemed to be all around the net. He's really changed his game from a few years ago when he was strictly a perimeter player and refused to go to the dirty areas. I think he knows that he doesn't have to be that overly skilled player who has to dangle or skate past everyone. He has been able to simplify his game on the wing and just get to the right spots to be fed by his linemates.
Yamamoto is one of if not my favorite players. He reminds me of a Gallagher type of player as his motor just never stops and is relentless on the forecheck. Great play by him on the last goal, forcing an error and feeding RNH. One critique I have of Yamamoto is just learning to not take those offensive zone penalties. I know relentless forechecking is his thing but I think if he dials it back just a tad he will find himself in the box a lpt less.
I was also impressed by Puljujarvi. Although he did not show up on the scoresheet I did notice his compete level is a lot better and he is also tenacious on the forecheck like Yamamoto. If you're getting 7 shots on net some nights the goals will come. I noticed some people want to move him up to the first line but I think it would be best to keep him on the 3rd line vs lesser competition and so that he can finally develop a familiarity with his linemates. I didn't notice many of the other forwards...Turris made some nice plays defensively and is a welcomed addition on the PK. I do agree with others who have stated that Khaira and Chiasson should be moved to the taxi squad. We have other players who could do a better job in those spots.

The defense was OK. We seem to have a pretty big issue with point shots that find their way through multiple bodies and seem to be tipped a lot. We need to bring more pressure up top so that the opposing defense doesn't have time to get that shot off. I was probably impressed the most with Koekkoek. Some good shot blocks and just seems very calm and composed in the defensive zone. Didn't notice Barrie too much and was kind of just "there" on the PP, filling that Klefbom role lol. Was hoping for more from him, specifically on the PP but I think he just sees the skill of McDrai and just figures he can pass to them and let them work their magic.
Nurse, Jones, and Larsson didn't look too good to me eye. I saw some blunders made by all of them. If Bouchard had the ability to play LD he would be an upgrade on Jones at the moment, in my opinion.

Koskinen was a lot better this game and I saw athleticism from him that I don't usually see. He was not giving up on pucks and was tracking pretty well. I think he should work on the long shots with a bunch of bodies in front of him in practice. He seems to struggle with those point shots with a bunch of traffic in front, which he shouldn't have too much problems with considering his height. Good game by him though and that's what we need more of if we want to do some damage in the division.

In summary, that was a great bounce back game and hopefully the Oilers can put up more consistent performances such as that one in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2 and 5 14 6 1

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Neal could find lightning in a bottle again, sure, and it’s worth a look. But he’s the PP version of Khaira.

As for Haas, still not sold. He is as vanilla as ice cream and doesn’t offer us anything (faceoffs, board play, special teams ability, etc.) that an ideal fourth line center should. If you could combine Haas’ smarts and effort with Khaira’s body you’d maybe have something, but I think rotating these two guys in and out all year is just going to be frustrating more than anything.
Haas is fast, quick on the forecheck and draws penalties. The last time I checked this club doesn't have any goal scorers playing on their bottom six, insert Neal immediately.

Both these roster moves seem like no-brainers to me.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Who cares?
Are they good enough to win the cup this year?
Can they keep this core around for next 5 yrs?
Would they be cup contenders with this core in 3 yrs? 5 yrs?

These are good players and good names a couple of which may be PPG+ players but I dont see the Nucks any better than any of the other Canadian teams. There is a lot of parity in NHL and I would take game breakers like McD and Drai in the core over what VAN has.
Obviously I don't think they're cup contenders right now but neither are the Oilers. Yes to the other two questions.

I just see people getting upset because some folks are acknowledging that Vancouver has a good young team and I don't know why that would bother people so much. It's okay to acknowledge talent while still rooting for your own team. The North division is absolutely wide open for the taking.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Nuge Mcdavid JP/Neal
Kahun Drai Yam
Kassian Turris JP/Neal
Archi Haas Ennis

Would be my ideal lines for next game.

Chiasson and Khaira should be the ones to come in when the bottom 6 is struggling, not the regulars.

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
Think Canucks fans got a rude awakening last night and realized Demko isn't the best goalie in the world because of a 3 game sample. And they thought this guy was going to be their starter this year, they are lucky they brought in Holtby lol

You would think that, but they are letting Demko off the hook since the rest of the team had such a poor performance. They believe the score would have been much worse with "average" goaltending.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You guys need to relax with Khaira holy. He's got more skill than anyone on this board :laugh: he's also a good penalty killer

Such a high bar. heh

He's got the best facial hair on the club. I'll give him that.

But I tell ya, with the type of shots he ever takes he might never score another goal.

ftr Khaira didn't score one goal in all of 2020. I suspect we're not the only ones celebrating the years end. The last goal he scored was Dec 4, 2019. He's a forward, playing hockey. Generally forwards are expected to score a goal, at some point.

That whole time he only has 2 assists. He was -19 last season on a club with one of the best records in the Conference.

He ain't any good at NHL hockey. He's an EVENS anchor.

Reactions: GOilers88

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Yamamoto's upside? How complete a player is he?
I think Yam is gonna be a top 6 player for as long as his body holds up.

He isn't exactly shifty compared to other small players, he plays more of an in your face bullish style that might not work so well long term for his size, but that's more of a longevity concern than a performance one. I think he's a long term fixture in our top 6. I'm guessing 20G 45-50 points as a standard year, and 30G 60-65 points as a peak.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Obviously I don't think they're cup contenders right now but neither are the Oilers. Yes to the other two questions.

I just see people getting upset because some folks are acknowledging that Vancouver has a good young team and I don't know why that would bother people so much. It's okay to acknowledge talent while still rooting for your own team. The North division is absolutely wide open for the taking.
Chances of Van core being a contender in 3 yrs is the same as TOR, CGY, MTL, OTT, EDM and 15 other teams.

Great group of young talent but nothing to be scared about.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I think Yam is gonna be a top 6 player for as long as his body holds up.

He isn't exactly shifty compared to other small players, he plays more of an in your face bullish style that might not work so well long term for his size, but that's more of a longevity concern than a performance one. I think he's a long term fixture in our top 6. I'm guessing 20G 45-50 points as a standard year, and 30G 60-65 points as a peak.

Does he drive the play much (when not with mcdavid/drai) or is he more of strictly a passenger points guy?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Chances of Van core being a contender in 3 yrs is the same as TOR, CGY, MTL, OTT, EDM and 15 other teams.

Great group of young talent but nothing to be scared about.
I think people are still sleeping on EP.

I really think he's going to be a top 5 player soon. But I don't know shit so there's that.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think people are still sleeping on EP.

I really think he's going to be a top 5 player soon. But I don't know shit so there's that.
Well TSN ranked him 14th and hyping the crap out of him. People are sleeping on the following potential top 5 players as well:
Eichel, Marner, Aho, Barzal, Panarin, Sheif, Rantanen, Point, Kuch, Mathews etc

No need for the word potential in EDM who have 2 proven top 5 players.

IMO ROR is a top 5 player in the league but I am not going to pump his tires on hfoil. There really is no point.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Does he drive the play much (when not with mcdavid/drai) or is he more of strictly a passenger points guy?
Did you see the 2 games? Yama creates his own chances and his apple to RNH was a perfect example of him creating chances.

Reactions: DropTheGloves

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Well TSN ranked him 14th and hyping the crap out of him. People are sleeping on the following potential top 5 players as well:
Eichel, Marner, Aho, Barzal, Panarin, Sheif, Rantanen, Point, Kuch, Mathews etc

No need for the word potential in EDM who have 2 proven top 5 players.

IMO ROR is a top 5 player in the league but I am not going to pump his tires on hfoil. There really is no point.
That's your prerogative. Wouldn't cut you down if you did.

Reactions: LTIR

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Now lemme see:

Nuge - Mcdavid - Yamo
Kahun - Drai - Pulju
Ennis - Turris - Kassian
Mcleod - Shore - Archie

Nurse - Bear
4K - Barrie
Bouch - Larsson

Fire Khaira and Chiasson into the mf sun

Give Pulju 10-15 games to get comfortable driving his line then I wouldn't mind trying this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad