Post-Game Talk: Oilers played with more jam

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Reality is a year later and we're still getting all the goals from the same players. Nobody else has scored. Only Kahun and Pulju have even had scoring chances out of the usual bunch. Its not every game McD is going to get a hat trick or Drai 4 pts or Nuge a couple wide open nets to score on. I mean we desperately needed to get that game back, get the W. but lots of questions still about scoring support. We also gave up a ton of chances still and our D doesn't look that great.

Its going to be good enough to get to the playoffs, 2nd, 3rd place, in around there. But still some missing ingredients.
The team has 6 different goalscorers in 2 games.

Yamo, Nurse, Drai, McDavid, Nuge and Larsson.

Why are we still saying nobody else is scoring? It's factually incorrect this season so far. Not only that it's literally only been 2 games. Kahun looked good on Wednesday. JP has looked good in both. Barrie looks like he loosened up overnight.

Can we at least let a few games go by before we start saying nothing has changed at all? The team scored 3 goals on a night McDavid went pointless, and they didn't lose that game because McDavid didn't go supernova. They lost that game because nobody could play defense to protect 3 goals that our big guns had nothing to do with.

Edit: I'll add that you're bang on regarding the defense.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The team has 6 different goalscorers in 2 games.

Yamo, Nurse, Drai, McDavid, Nuge and Larsson.

Why are we still saying nobody else is scoring? It's factually incorrect this season so far. Not only that it's literally only been 2 games. Kahun looked good on Wednesday. JP has looked good in both. Barrie looks like he loosened up overnight.

Can we at least let a few games go by before we start saying nothing has changed at all? The team scored 3 goals on a night McDavid went pointless, and they didn't lose that game because McDavid didn't go supernova. They lost that game because nobody could play defense to protect 3 goals that our big guns had nothing to do with.
The fact that we have two d-men with goals already seems pretty good to me.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Great effort all around. that was a hard working shift Edmonton can be proud of.

Nurse and Bear looked great.
I would go Jones-Barrie and Koekkoek-Larsson as pairing.

It would force Jones to play a simple responsible game instead of doing new things. It would also improve the 2nd pairing.

Reactions: Konami McDavid

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017
I just can't get over this overwhelming urge to shit on the Canucks as a hockey team. The game has been over for like 5 hours and I still just want to rant about how f***ing mediocre they really are. I didn't feel that way AT ALL last year, I even defended them in the OOT thread.

Something about the nonsense narrative around that team in the last 6 months has really pee'd in my cereal.

Hughes and Pettersson looked very meh to me. Don't get me wrong they are good young players, and Hughes definetly has the potential to be a top damn, but they are nowhere near as good as the hype around them. Boeser and Horvat are the driving force on that team, 2 players I would happily take on my team any day.

Think Canucks fans got a rude awakening last night and realized Demko isn't the best goalie in the world because of a 3 game sample. And they thought this guy was going to be their starter this year, they are lucky they brought in Holtby lol

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think this is the year where rest of Canada will naturally come together to hate Flames and Leafs.

I dont think playing 10 games vs Nucks would create too much bad blood. Dont think Jets post Buff have been physically dominating either to start hating them.

It will be hate of Leafs mainly thanks to media and Flames mostly thanks to Tkachuk for rest of Canadian teams.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Hughes and Pettersson are very meh to me. Don't get me wrong they are good young players, and Hughes definetly has the potential to be a top damn, but they are nowhere near as good as the hype around them. Boeser and Horvat are the driving force on that team, 2 players I would happily take on my team any day.

Think Canucks fans got a rude awakening last night and realized Demko isn't the best goalie in the world because of a 3 game sample. And they thought this guy was going to be their starter this year, they are lucky they brought in Holtby lol
I think they have a very good core.

EP/Hughes/Boeser/Miller/Horvat/Schmidt
/Demko. That's solid. Demko still has much to prove but I think he'll be a legit starter. EP is going to be a monster when he bulks up a bit and puts a few years experience under his belt. Their defense needs some work and the kids needs to play more, but I don't know how anyone can look at their core and think they're any further off than Edmonton is.

The McDavid factor is always going to be a thing but I don't think you can hold that against other teams. Can love your own team while still acknowledging the talent on other teams.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I’m still not convinced those two are the answer either but they can’t be worse (can they?)

Neal replacing Chiasson is already a positive on the PP.
Haas's skating alone > Khaira.
I do think Khaira's good at PK, but its frustrating that he can't do anything else.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Neal replacing Chiasson is already a positive on the PP.
Haas's skating alone > Khaira.
I do think Khaira's good at PK, but its frustrating that he can't do anything else.

Neal could find lightning in a bottle again, sure, and it’s worth a look. But he’s the PP version of Khaira.

As for Haas, still not sold. He is as vanilla as ice cream and doesn’t offer us anything (faceoffs, board play, special teams ability, etc.) that an ideal fourth line center should. If you could combine Haas’ smarts and effort with Khaira’s body you’d maybe have something, but I think rotating these two guys in and out all year is just going to be frustrating more than anything.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I think they have a very good core.

EP/Hughes/Boeser/Miller/Horvat/Schmidt
/Demko. That's solid. Demko still has much to prove but I think he'll be a legit starter. EP is going to be a monster when he bulks up a bit and puts a few years experience under his belt. Their defense needs some work and the kids needs to play more, but I don't know how anyone can look at their core and think they're any further off than Edmonton is.

The McDavid factor is always going to be a thing but I don't think you can hold that against other teams. Can love your own team while still acknowledging the talent on other teams.
Who cares?
Are they good enough to win the cup this year?
Can they keep this core around for next 5 yrs?
Would they be cup contenders with this core in 3 yrs? 5 yrs?

These are good players and good names a couple of which may be PPG+ players but I dont see the Nucks any better than any of the other Canadian teams. There is a lot of parity in NHL and I would take game breakers like McD and Drai in the core over what VAN has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad