Proposal: Oilers / Pens

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Pens: Jack Johnson + Rust for
Oilers: Russell + Manning

Oilers take on the longer/worse capdump but free up space for Rust to join the roster.

Both sides may hate it but it serves a purpose

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Nah Oilers need to open up the Russell cap space and roster spot going forward.

Taking on Johnson doesn't make sense with so many LHD being close to NHL ready. Better to have at least similar quality for less than a million and put that extra couple million to improving forwards or goaltending.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I rather have Russel then JJ
And Im not sure Pens want all that cap back aswell?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The upside for the Pens is that they turn their 4 year JJ capdump problem into a 2 year capdump problem in Russell. They bury Manning and save 1.75M in cap this year. It costs them Rust for this outcome.

Oilers get Rust as a sweetener starting this year but are saddled with JJ for 2 additional years compared to the Russell contract.

I see this as less likely for the Oilers to make the trade for the reasons Chaos said. I see Pens not liking it because they are living in a fantasy world where dumping JJ only costs waiver fodder and a 2nd.

Reactions: ivanlwan

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Pens: Jack Johnson + Rust for
Oilers: Russell + Manning

Oilers take on the longer/worse capdump but free up space for Rust to join the roster.

Both sides may hate it but it serves a purpose

Pass

People are going to look really stupid when the Pens trade Johnson without having to take near as bad contract back and not giving up good player or 1st. I will say I told you so shortly.

Reactions: DRAGO 18

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Rutherford has been in the league a long time and over that time has built relationships with other organizations/ management . He'll trade Johnson and it'll be the type of deal that you help the Penguins now and we'll help you later when you need it .

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Rutherford has been in the league a long time and over that time has built relationships with other organizations/ management . He'll trade Johnson and it'll be the type of deal that you help the Penguins now and we'll help you later when you need it .

that seems like a bad way to run an NHL team to be honest. Chiarelli did that lots but never seemed to get paid back for it.

Trading in favours only works if you don’t get shitcanned before you collect.

Pittsburgh absolutely will have to take a poison pill contract back or give up something significant. Oilers had to take Neal back. Toronto gave up a first to dump one year of Marleau - Pittsburgh is trying to get out from under four.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Pass

People are going to look really stupid when the Pens trade Johnson without having to take near as bad contract back and not giving up good player or 1st. I will say I told you so shortly.

And when you are stuck with him are you going to come in here and admit you are stupid?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I rather have Russel then JJ
And Im not sure Pens want all that cap back aswell?

Given that it would be coming in different contracts and 2.1m of it could be buried, it wouldn't be the end of the world - especially as both players would be easier to trade then JJ. That said, I can't see the Penguins adding Rust to JJ only to get back Russell and Manning. One or the other sure... but if it's both, the add would be less then Rust, or something else half ass decent would be coming back to offset that.

Reactions: BHD

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Given that it would be coming in different contracts and 2.1m of it could be buried, it wouldn't be the end of the world - especially as both players would be easier to trade then JJ. That said, I can't see the Penguins adding Rust to JJ only to get back Russell and Manning. One or the other sure... but if it's both, the add would be less then Rust, or something else half ass decent would be coming back to offset that.

I get you would be moving the best piece in the deal in Rust but where's the incentive for Edmonton to take something less than Rust to be saddled with 4 years of Johnson?

Manning is a soon to be UFA and can be buried as you said. He offers little incentive in this trade for us. As per Russell he's an overpaid #5. I'd love to move on from his contract but moving to for a worse contract with 2 additional years and you want us to add or take less than Rust, it's just a non-starter

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
This doesn’t do anything for the Pens either. Russell AND Manning when they already have 8 or 9 guys on the roster?! I realize that Johnson is a tough move, but the OP ignores the Pens' situation.

All of that being said, I get why any fanbase would be against taking him on.

Last edited:
Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Any deal purposed on this forum that involves Jack Johnson will not be "accepted" or "agreed on" unless there is a massive overpayment suggested. I will bet that if and when Johnson is moved, the "sweetener" won't be near as valuable as people here on these forums suggest it will be.

Reactions: MalkinsPierogi

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
pens trade johnson + rust to get back two overpaid $6/#7 dmen?

I think they are shooting for a johnson + rust for not negative value guys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad