Oilers Outsider: Road Trip Raises Expectations

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't think it raised any expectations. So far we have played one team that made the playoffs last year and have trailed in every single game we have played. Oilers are off to a good start and expectations of fighting for a wild card spot are still there.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I don't think it raised any expectations. So far we have played one team that made the playoffs last year and have trailed in every single game we have played. Oilers are off to a good start and expectations of fighting for a wild card spot are still there.

Pretty much the same expectations as last year except without the sucking so bad that we're out of the playoffs race with 10 games left in the season.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
3 Keys to the Oilers competing for the playoffs:

1- Goaltending. Not giving up a bad goal every game, first shot of the game, improved goaltending on the PK. Need reliability not stardom. So far the goaltending has improved, albeit with 3 gimmes by Smith.
2- Improved 5v5 scoring depth. 2nd line must contribute regularly and the bottom 6 and D must factor into the scoring on a regular basis. So far this has not happened.
2- Improved PK. Cannot hope to make the playoffs with a .750 PK % and combine that with poor scoring depth and bad goaltending. League leading PK that is probably not sustainable but overall the PK projects to be a huge improvement over prior 3 years.

So I would agree with Larry that expectations have been raised given goaltending was projected to be a team weakness and the PK is looking to be a strength. The PP is on a heater right now and that should cool off. If we get some improved 5v5 scoring outside the first line this will offset a more normalized PP.

Arrows up!

Reactions: Larry Fisher

OldManBouchard

Oct 14, 2019
Nothing wrong with raised expectations. Should result in the team being more engaged and accountable for their play.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Nothing wrong with raised expectations. Should result in the team being more engaged and accountable for their play.

Agreed, also more confident. Even if the fan base and out-of-market media/pundits are tempering expectations and not raising that bar — not yet expecting playoffs — I feel the players and coaching staff will have that mentality going forward now. Believing that they can be a winning team — and that sure beats the alternative of coming to the rink expecting to lose!

Reactions: snipes

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.

Perhaps not for the fan base (yet) but I more so meant for the dressing room. However, I do feel more people are expecting a win tonight and a winning record from these next four games to close out their opening 10 — given their start. Thus that translates to raised expectations in my opinion.

Reactions: imtheboy

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Pretty much the same expectations as last year except without the sucking so bad that we're out of the playoffs race with 10 games left in the season.

I feel the bar is a bit higher now — thanks to a 5-1 head start — barring a letdown such as losing three of the next four in regulation (counting tonight).

I tried to highlight the D a little more for you this week, thadd.

Reactions: thadd

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
3 Keys to the Oilers competing for the playoffs:

1- Goaltending. Not giving up a bad goal every game, first shot of the game, improved goaltending on the PK. Need reliability not stardom. So far the goaltending has improved, albeit with 3 gimmes by Smith.
2- Improved 5v5 scoring depth. 2nd line must contribute regularly and the bottom 6 and D must factor into the scoring on a regular basis. So far this has not happened.
2- Improved PK. Cannot hope to make the playoffs with a .750 PK % and combine that with poor scoring depth and bad goaltending. League leading PK that is probably not sustainable but overall the PK projects to be a huge improvement over prior 3 years.

So I would agree with Larry that expectations have been raised given goaltending was projected to be a team weakness and the PK is looking to be a strength. The PP is on a heater right now and that should cool off. If we get some improved 5v5 scoring outside the first line this will offset a more normalized PP.

Arrows up!

Well stated on all fronts, you nailed the three keys, and I'm glad we agree. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Well written article and a nice summary to the week, imo though i feel as this is "outsiders" point of view, that maybe it could focus more on that aspect. As well written as it is, I don't feel it is providing much "new" information that compels me to read the article.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Thanks Larry another great article.

I will say you were a bit hard on the team considering they have had the league leading record, the leading goal scorer, leading point scorers tied for first McD/Drai, leading PK% and best player in the league.

With those stats it’s pretty much a given that this squad is making the post season, but I do get that the media’s job is to show both sides and temper expectations. Keep up the good work with your hard hitting journalism, hope to see your pieces in the Journal.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Well written article and a nice summary to the week, imo though i feel as this is "outsiders" point of view, that maybe it could focus more on that aspect. As well written as it is, I don't feel it is providing much "new" information that compels me to read the article.

That's fair, it's a work in progress. Not sure when I'll be back with another column or what topics I'll tackle next. I will likely do an update at the 10-game mark. I'm always open to suggestions/feedback. Reality is, I'm an outsider with the career goal of becoming an insider, so this is my way of working the beat from afar to some extent/in some context. So bear with me and hopefully I'll find ways to inform/entertain as the season goes along.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Thanks Larry another great article.

I will say you were a bit hard on the team considering they have had the league leading record, the leading goal scorer, leading point scorers tied for first McD/Drai, leading PK% and best player in the league.

With those stats it’s pretty much a given that this squad is making the post season, but I do get that the media’s job is to show both sides and temper expectations. Keep up the good work with your hard hitting journalism, hope to see your pieces in the Journal.

Thanks again, here's hoping those doors open up in the years to come — providing the paper still exists when Matty and Terry eventually hang 'em up and providing they replace those positions. I'm just hoping some door opens soon, so I don't have to give up the dream of covering the NHL full-time as my bill-paying job.

Reactions: MessierII

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
That's fair, it's a work in progress. Not sure when I'll be back with another column or what topics I'll tackle next. I will likely do an update at the 10-game mark. I'm always open to suggestions/feedback. Reality is, I'm an outsider with the career goal of becoming an insider, so this is my way of working the beat from afar to some extent/in some context. So bear with me and hopefully I'll find ways to inform/entertain as the season goes along.

Fair enough, I'd just like to see more uniqueness to your articles that may an "outsider" could provide that we as an audience would have less knowledge on.

Just for example, maybe something more in-depth on the upcoming opponents based on knowledge you may know but we don't.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Solid read as always Larry. One of the best in the business.

With junior seasons starting up I’m surprised you had time for such an in depth analysis.

Looking forward to reading your prospects rankings in the coming months.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Fair enough, I'd just like to see more uniqueness to your articles that may an "outsider" could provide that we as an audience would have less knowledge on.

Just for example, maybe something more in-depth on the upcoming opponents based on knowledge you may know but we don't.

Not a bad idea. The "Outsider" is more of a play on me not being a media "Insider" for the Oilers. I still follow Edmonton closer than any other team, so I didn't mean "Outsider" as an outsider perspective, just an outsider in that I don't live in Edmonton or attend practices, travel on the road, etc., like the true media insiders.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Solid read as always Larry. One of the best in the business.

With junior seasons starting up I’m surprised you had time for such an in depth analysis.

Looking forward to reading your prospects rankings in the coming months.

Thanks, busy times for sure. I'm in between jobs as far as my career goes, so I have a lot more time on my hands this fall than usual (unfortunately). The scouting gig definitely keeps me busy, I missed last night's Oilers-Flyers game to attend Kelowna-Swift Current WHL game here, but that was the Rockets' last home game of October, so I should get to watch most the Oilers game for the rest of this month and be able to weigh in periodically throughout the season. Or at least until I get a full-time career job again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->