News Article: Oilers' offseason report card: Grade - C

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
no, the real benchmark is where the team was at at the beginning of the offseason...and where it is at the end of the off-season

Sekera injury aside, this team is an improved team from April.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

In my opinion, improving on the roster we had in April doesn't really matter if our roster is still worse than the 2017 opening day roster which sunk our season early.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
If the new assistants can fix the special teams, Rieder and Brodziak do what they're supposed to, Cam reverts to previous form and some of the young'uns step up, they get a B+ from me.

Otherwise, it's a D for not sacking the coach and GM, and going into another season based on hopes and dreams.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Considering the cap situation we were in (which I realize is Chia's fault), I think Chia did a good job. Really happy to have Rieder back into the fold -- I never wanted to see him gone to begin with. Brodziak should be a good upgrade on Letestu. I think a 4th line spot is Upshall's to lose, and I think the only reason we didn't sign him to an NHL contract is to preserve all the cap we have left to sign Nurse and protect from any offer-sheet, which may be remote but you still have to protect against it. Koskinen seems like a reasonable bet as a backup and potentially more, and was really happy we got him. Pulju and Yamo are a year older and more mature/experienced and therefore should be better bets to help fill out the top-6 RW situation and make a dent in the league as opposed to last year. No bad trades.

On the other hand, we needed an upgrade on Russell for the 2nd pairing RHD spot, especially with Sekera out again. But goes back to the cap situation, which limits the options. But as noted, that's of Chia's doing, so he has to get docked somewhat for that.

Overall I'd give this off-season a B-, as long as Nurse signs to a sub-4m bridge contract, or a long term at between 4-4.5m AAV (Klefbom and Larsson contract territory).

Reactions: HailMcJesus

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
for me this is click bait to get oiler fans more annoyed

last year nearly everyone took a step back and some felt that the oilers should go wild

add 10th overall (Bouchard) to Lucic and get maybe a 3rd rounder back--this was one trade brought up and some suggested the oilers would not get that

buyout both Lucic and Sekera (I think we only have one buyout left) and then get cheaper players--but we would still have some of their cap on our sal cap and I tried to point out that the replacement + buyout cap could actually add up to more then the original players made--some shouted me down on this point

from McDavid's rookie year
players left on the team and or in the organizations
2Andrej SekeraD816243012-15----------Slovakia: Bojnice29
33Cameron TalbotG5601100----------ONT: Caledonia28
44Zack KassianR36358114-7----------ONT: Windsor24
77Oscar KlefbomD3048126-4----------Sweden: Karlstad22
93Ryan Nugent-HopkinsC5512223418-9----------BC: Burnaby22
54Jujhar KhairaL1502213-2----------BC: Surrey21
25Darnell NurseD69371060-13----------ONT: Hamilton20
29Leon DraisaitlC7219325120-2----------Germany: Cologne19
97Connor McDavidC4516324818-1----------ONT: Richmond Hill18
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
so only 9 out of 23 roster spots are still occupied by guys here during McDavids rookie year

year 2

2Andrej SekeraD80827351814111232Slovakia: Bojnice30
33Cameron TalbotG7300040130110ONT: Caledonia29
67Benoit PouliotL67861434-5130004ONT: Alfred29
Kris RussellD6811213235130444ALTA: Caroline29
27Milan LucicL8223275050-31324620BC: Vancouver28
44Zack KassianR797172410141330327ONT: Windsor25
6Adam LarssonD79415195521132464Sweden: Skelleftea23
93Ryan Nugent-HopkinsC8218254329-10130442BC: Burnaby23
77Oscar KlefbomD8212263867122350Sweden: Karlstad23
79Dillon SimpsonD300020----------ALTA: Edmonton23
36Drake CaggiulaL60711181631330325ONT: Pickering22
83Matt BenningD62312152981203312ALTA: Edmonton22
54Jujhar KhairaL1010121----------BC: Surrey22
25Darnell NurseD445611330130226ONT: Hamilton21
29Leon DraisaitlC82294877207136101619Germany: Cologne20
97Connor McDavidC8230701002627135492ONT: Richmond Hill19
98Jesse PuljujarviR28178105----------Sweden: Alvkarleby18
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

17 players still part of the organization--this was the team that got into the playoffs and did damage

we knew there would be regression and there was by everyone but McDavid

For me continuity amongst the team is good--when we went into the playoffs that off season we wanted only slight tweeks

between injuries and regression everything went wrong last year

I think an over reaction would have been to trade out number 10 with Lucic--we for the most part hate the Lucic contract--we thought it would be a few more years before it looked bad--Sekera was supposed the stabalizing force on the back end--but last year he was injured and we saw how much of a stabilizing force he was two years ago. Now he is more then likely gone for this year and we need Klefbom and Larsson to step up and Nurse to take the next step--if he gets signed

we have about 5mill in actual cap space and 5.5 more when Sekera goes on LTIR

we need to get Nurse signed and he might end up getting the 5.5 Sekera was earning and that some what will put us in a tight spot..

But I have faith that Klef. Larsson, Russel, Benning, Nurse and Bouchard (who will get a long look at camp) will be able to hold the fort this year and I believe the guys some on this board really hate--will bounce back

Reactions: Louis Cypher

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Chia did nothing this offseason. Brodz and Rieder are good, but no better than the players that left. Now we are down Sekera and he won't do anything. I honestly think he realizes how bad he is at trades and signings so is just happy to do nothing and hope for a miracle.

Reactions: McJesusSaves97

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
A couple of days ago, I would've given the off-season a "B-" rating. Given how much cap space we had, I think we might some nice additions. However, with Sekera's injury, that puts at a "D+/C-" rating. We really needed our full complement of healthy Dmen to compete.

But why? It's not the teams fault Sekera injured himself. He did it to himself

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Chia did nothing this offseason. Brodz and Rieder are good, but no better than the players that left. Now we are down Sekera and he won't do anything. I honestly think he realizes how bad he is at trades and signings so is just happy to do nothing and hope for a miracle.
How on earth can he do anything when we have no cap space and have to wait 10 games into the season to put Sekera on LTIR....?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'd give this offseason an A.

- PC didn't get robbed in a trade.

- PC didn't sign an overpriced UFA

- PC didn't overpay in dollars or term for any of the teams RFA's

- PC addressed the bottom six by signing Brodziak and Reider to good deals

- Replaced all the assistant coaches

I give him a B
#1-#3 is just him doing his job right.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I'd give it a B-

++ Quality assistant coach acquisitions. Much of our struggles last year were special teams. I expect the PK greatly improve because of Yawney, Rieder, Brodziak, and Upshall if he is signed. PP is to be determined. Gulutzan > Woodcroft.

+ Solid draft. Only 3 quality picks but I guess he made them count. For me it was between Dobson and Bouchard... we NEEDED a quality RD in the system. Bouchard is a great fit for our team, I just think Dobson will end up being the better all around player. Don't mind the McLeod pick, he has a lot of different routes to the NHL (not holding my breathe for him to be a top 6 winger, but if he can be our cost-controlled 3C of the future, cool). Rodrigue was kind of meh for me.

+ Solid depth acquisitions. Rieder, Brodziak, Jerabek, Gravel, and Upshall PTO. All of these guys came on reasonable to good contracts.

tbd: Koskinen signing. Chia paid a pretty penny for him, hopefully it works out. It was only a 1 year deal, which makes this less concerning.

- Caggiula Contract. A bit of a head scratcher for me. Drake brings a lot of energy and intensity, but that's the only good thing I could say about him. I'd rather Chia use that money elsewhere, I think we had better options currently available on the roster. In Caggiula's defense, he spent no time in the AHL - development could be handled differently. He was thrown into the NHL immediately and didn't drown imo.

Rattie, Khaira, Aberg > Caggiula

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Bulding a good team imo goes fro the goalies out: Goalie, Defense, Centers, Wingers. Evaluating Chiarelli as such...

I like the Koskinen signing. I'd rather gamble on an unknown superstar from another league at 2.5 than get a proven mediocre backup I know will never be a starter for 2.5. The goalies available this year we're nothing to write home about. Hopefully Koskinen and Talbot have a legit battle for the starting role. Both need a new contract next year and we need elite goaltending. We still have Montoya as well. Who falls into the reliable backup category anyways. Chiarelli drafted the bop for goalies in the draft and also has others coming tracking well.

Goaltending realistically was improved as much possible imo. I honestly could give him an A here but I am more of a realist and will say he deserves a rock solid B under the circumstances.

Defense. Drafted Bouchard, incredibly lucky but incredibly awesome. Rumored to actively trading up to get Bouchard. Got his guy and saved a buck. Awesome for the organization. Gravel, decent. New guy sure. Bear trending up. Sucks we lost Sekera but that's not on Chiarelli. Final mark waiting on Nurses deal but a C+ for doing what little he could with cap space he has.

Center. Brodziach awesome. Drafted McLeod awesome. A position of strength made even better. Awesome. Could give an A plus will settle with an A.

Wingers. Marody count for this offseason? If so decent pick up. Center winger too if not mistaken. Reider awesome. No one thoughto we could get him at that price. Upshaw solid pto. Winger upgrade especially under the cap restraints a solid B. An area of weakness still tho. We have the prospects and players that should grow into those holes as well. Just need them to do so.

Forgot about coaching. Simple A for coaching. Great group that addresses all our weakness there.

Overall addressed our weakness with limited cap space better than I thought he could. I give him a solid B atm and will have to wait until the start of the year for a finAL mark.

Last edited:
Reactions: Louis Cypher

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Some people are looking at extremely modest upgrades as indication of significant improvement. It isn't. This team made mostly lateral moves in the last couple offseasons and with some even backfiring and being worse than status quo.

But what gets lost in this is that virtually EVERY team has an improved looking roster to start the season. Often times the degree of improvement looks very promising. You need to get a better roster each year in prosports to stymie the general effect of some players ageing. In otherwords you need to get better personal JUST to stay right where you are. This is so rarely considered, yet its key in evaluating offseason *improvement*

Of the offseason work I feel that Gravel and Reider will be positive additions. Brodz potentially but less than people think. Not much gas left. But the larger problem is that Brodz introduction will pretty much mean that sidekick Upshall will be gifted a spot. Upshall will be as useless as I expect him to be. So that Upshall in that way takes away from the advantage had if we solely had obtained Brodziak.

Jerabek could be a positive addition but likely only he or Gravel will see much icetime. If both see a lot this is forcast of trouble in the lineup.

Koskinen is an almost guaranteed overpay for a backup. He would have to be a different maker in around a dozen games and the only reason we're winning those games to be worth that kind of money. Talbot will likely be improved this year anyway so paying this much for a backup is wasted.

Oct 15, 2008
I give Chia an eff. More half measures bs. Fire assistants but keep the head guy the players turned on and tuned out a year ago. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see how that’s going to turn out, but really it was likely a Blowe, CrapT and Katz decision.

The unholy trinity or as I like to call them.... Sh** Emoji.

Still rolling along with no RHD bomb on the point, off season after off season rolls by without any attempt to fill this hole. We can all hope and pray Bouchard fills it in 3-5yrs, McDavid will likely be gone by then. So we can look forward to another bottom five pp with five left hand shots passing around the perimeter for 2 minutes, punctuated by the all too frequent breakaway shorty GA.

We overpaid some khl unproven hack to be our backup goalie. Another dum dum move brought to you by Sh** Emoji, crushing fans dreams for over a decade.

Rieder and Brodziak were decent gets but not sure they offset the loss of Maroon tbh. Add to this the Sekera injury and the fact Nurse looks to be on his way to Holdout Island and this season is looking to done by Halloween yet again. At least we haven’t traded our first round pick.......yet!

See you at the draft!

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Same crap players on crap contracts, same holes in the lineup, same non-vets playing way above their comfort levels, same precious few shining stars.

A good team standing still gets a C.
This team gets an F.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well I guess I'll say it wasn't as bad as summer 2015 or 2016 for him which were franchise altering disasters for this organization.

He basically had his hands tied this summer and really couldn't do anything. I still don't think that Koskinen gamble will pay off, I think he's gonna need time to adjust to the much better league that is the NHL and get exposed. Talbot will end up being rode into the ground again. I hope I'm wrong on that.

Summer 2015 Grade: D (Reinhart deal is a disaster, we couldn't afford to blow those picks)
Summer 2016 Grade: D- (Hall trade and Lucic signing are long term disasters)
Summer 2017 Grade: D+ (Loses Eberle trade, overpays Draisaitl and Russell, doesn't address Sekera issue despite knowing he'll be out until January)
Summer 2018 Grade: C- (probably move wise his best summer, but only because he basically couldn't do anything, which in itself isn't a great thing as the team still has holes).

Reactions: Aceboogie

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I give it a C as well. I would give it a D but I really liked the coaching changes.

Gave the draft a B+.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I'd give this offseason an A.

- PC didn't get robbed in a trade.

- PC didn't sign an overpriced UFA

- PC didn't overpay in dollars or term for any of the teams RFA's

- PC addressed the bottom six by signing Brodziak and Reider to good deals

- Replaced all the assistant coaches

A is pretty low. He should get an A++ as he didnt lose McDavid at the airport and even colored in 90% of the lines when he went to BPs

Reactions: McShogun99

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Well I guess I'll say it wasn't as bad as summer 2015 or 2016 for him which were franchise altering disasters for this organization.

He basically had his hands tied this summer and really couldn't do anything. I still don't think that Koskinen gamble will pay off, I think he's gonna need time to adjust to the much better league that is the NHL and get exposed. Talbot will end up being rode into the ground again. I hope I'm wrong on that.

Summer 2015 Grade: D (Reinhart deal is a disaster, we couldn't afford to blow those picks)
Summer 2017 Grade: D+ (Loses Eberle trade, overpays Draisaitl and Russell, doesn't address Sekera issue despite knowing he'll be out until January)
Summer 2018 Grade: C- (probably move wise his best summer, but only because he basically couldn't do anything, which in itself isn't a great thing as the team still has holes).

This is a pretty accurate assessment

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

why did you fail to mention the good signings like Sekera and Letestu? what about the good trade of Talbot?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
why did you fail to mention the good signings like Sekera and Letestu? what about the good trade of Talbot?

Id factor those into the D. The Reinhart trade was a straight up F-, the Sekera signing and Talbot trade bumps it up to a D

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Id factor those into the D. The Reinhart trade was a straight up F-, the Sekera signing and Talbot trade bumps it up to a D

Exactly I did factor in those in, otherwise he'd have an F- for both of his first two summers here.

It's not like Letestu, Sekera are franchise altering players. Talbot I think would have been there for any Oilers GM, but even regardless it's an open question whether or not he's even the long term answer here in net. If he's not good next season, he's done here, Letestu is gone, Sekera is likely to be a liability from now on.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Exactly I did factor in those in, otherwise he'd have an F- for both of his first two summers here.

It's not like Letestu, Sekera are franchise altering players. Talbot I think would have been there for any Oilers GM, but even regardless it's an open question whether or not he's even the long term answer here in net. If he's not good next season, he's done here, Letestu is gone, Sekera is likely to be a liability from now on.

I think Sekera was a great signing at the time but just turned out unfortunate due to injuries, I wont falt Chiarelli at all. Letetsu on the other hand was a average signing who turned out as good as you can get (mostly due to being the beneficiary of a red hot PP). So just as Chiarelli got unluck with Sekera, he got lucky with Letetsu. I also give Chiarelli credit for Talbot, even though I do think any other GM hired would have made the same move for the same price. Talbot was the topic of discussion around that time, he wasnt some unknown guy who we picked from obscurity. But Chiarelli made the move,s o gotta give him credit

Even if you give Chiarelli all the breaks you assume he got really unlucky with Sekera,give full credit for Letetsu and full credit for Talbot- those moves STILL dont negate the Reinhart deal. It was so so bad, even at the time. Reinhart was floundering in the AHL and the top 40 of the 2015 draft was hyped as being very good, and has since delivered. The 16th and 33rd in 2015 was like a top 10 and top 20 pick in a average draft year

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad