News Article: Oilers moving to the Central?

Would you prefer to see the Oilers in the Central Division?

• Total voters

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Anyone else think we should just have 2 conferences, and screw the divisions?
I think there should be two Leagues, like in baseball, where the West plays only the West (and East only East) in the regular season. Two MVPs, two scoring leaders, two everything.

The NHL is getting too big and unwieldy now.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I wonder if they'll keep it at an 82 game schedule... or increase it to 84 games again once Seattle enters the league?

7 teams x 4 games vs own division teams in own conference
8 teams x 3 games vs other division teams in own conference
16 teams x 2 games vs other conference teams

84 games seems the tidier way to go.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I wonder if they'll keep it at an 82 game schedule... or increase it to 84 games again once Seattle enters the league?

7 teams x 4 games vs own division teams in own conference
8 teams x 3 games vs other division teams in own conference
16 teams x 2 games vs other conference teams

84 games seems the tidier way to go.

Those two extra games could be another week tacked on to the season. I like your breakdown of the games so the league could start the season at the end of September or make round 1 a best of 5 like it was once upon a time.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Those two extra games could be another week tacked on to the season. I like your breakdown of the games so the league could start the season at the end of September or make round 1 a best of 5 like it was once upon a time.

They could make the exhibition pre-season shorter by ~2 games as it's too long anyway. The 1st couple games is always filled with the players with no chance of making the roster and I'm sure the teams could sort out their opening rosters with ~6 pre-season games instead of ~8 games.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
My initial reaction was like hell no, that's stupid, you can't separate the Battle of Alberta and then actually read the article and realized Calgary would be coming with us. In the near term it probably makes our schedule a bit harder opponent wise, but I generally like playing those guys from an entertainment perspective more so than the California teams so it doesn't really bother me. I also see the upside of not having as many late games against the California teams. I'm kind of indifferent to a change in divisions if it happens as proposed, the pros and cons are close enough for me that I don't care what the final decision is.

Reactions: Consultant

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I think there should be two Leagues, like in baseball, where the West plays only the West (and East only East) in the regular season. Two MVPs, two scoring leaders, two everything.

This is something I could see happening too. The lockout shortened 2013 season was only conference games. Going by memory, the first three seasons after the 2004 lockout year saw teams playing only one game against non conference opponents. None of these are radical ideas as they’ve been done to some degree before.

More conference games spread evenly through out the conferences instead of divisions makes it easier for the league to change a playoff format that they’ve been getting criticized for a lot since they adopted it. As you say, the more teams in the league, the more complicated it gets. How’s a perfect time for a big change.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
I doubt that extremely. They are too close to Vegas and California, and it's even a cultural connection with them.

It makes too much sense to me to put Edm and Calgary in the Central, with Colorado in the Pacific. The Oilers and Flames will NOT be separated just like Philly and Pittsburgh wont. The Alberta teams are 1 time zone away from the furthest Pacific teams, but also 1 time zone away from the furthest Central teams.
Nah.

Arizona is way closer to teams like Colorado, Nashville, and Dallas than us while being somewhat comparable in terms of distance to the others in the central. Moving both Alberta teams to the central and moving Colorado to the Pacific would create a silly amount of travel for us.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
This is a blessing. This team will never get favorable officiating playing against the California teams who are the NHL's love child and pet project galore. Teams from other divisions constantly get screwed over when playing on the west coast. We can finally be rid of the nightmare biased officiating. At least the refs seem to hate the Jets as much as the Oilers.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT

I doubt that will ever happen. Every NHL city wants to have Crosby, McDavid, Ovechkin etc. Go through their buildings to boost ticket sales and / or boost ticket prices

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I don't think there's a chance the league moves Arizona to the central. They're located way too close to the Pacific teams for that.

It will be the Oilers and Flames getting moved to the central.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm indifferent TBH. I live in Asia so if we're playing in the central games start earlier for us and that works really well for me. Let's me catch more hockey before my lunch break is over.

The rivalry with Calgary isn't what it's made out to be anymore.
I imagine 70% of the people on this board were not watching hockey in the 80's.
That was a rivalry. We don't even want that rivalry anymore. Nobody does.
On any given night players were getting away with **** that would result in 10+ games suspensions in the modern NHL.
It was truly a compilation of violence.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't think there's a chance the league moves Arizona to the central. They're located way too close to the Pacific teams for that.

It will be the Oilers and Flames getting moved to the central.
They are closer to the central teams than we are.

They are also the most likely team to get moved to potentially Houston so that would make sense.

Adding all that distance to Edmonton and Calgarys travel schedules when they are already the worst makes even less sense imo

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
A division that stretches from Edmonton to Nashville... Yeah I don't think that'll fly.

Easier to move the Yotes over to the central, as they're not that far from Colorado at least. Plus it keeps the 2 western divisions somewhat even in terms of travel.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Seems odd they'd make Vancouver the only Canadian team in that division when Alberta is so close.

I'd think you'd want to keep them with us and Calgary. You want Seattle in the same as Vancouver as well.

So I guess there's 4 teams I'd try to keep together.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
A division that stretches from Edmonton to Nashville... Yeah I don't think that'll fly.

Easier to move the Yotes over to the central, as they're not that far from Colorado at least. Plus it keeps the 2 western divisions somewhat even in terms of travel.
On top of that I don't see owners agreeing to move 3 teams around to keep Arizona who doesn't really even bring in revenue in the Pacific. Moving Colorado, Calgary and Edmonton and breaking the Alberta BC rivalry just doesn't make sense.

Especially since Colorado was just moved to the central a few years ago.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Seems odd they'd make Vancouver the only Canadian team in that division when Alberta is so close.

I'd think you'd want to keep them with us and Calgary. You want Seattle in the same as Vancouver as well.

So I guess there's 4 teams I'd try to keep together.

If Edmonton and Calgary go to the central things are going to get even harder, but it'll be a ton of fun getting to watch Oilers playing the Jets and Preds more often.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I have a real disconnect with Central clubs these days. Don't give a hoot about Chicago, Detroit, STL, Preds, Minny etc. These are often dog day games to me. They offer no particular interest. At times Chicago has engaged me but mostly these clubs bore the shit out of me. Some of my worst games ever attended were STL,

Conversely I love California hockey for the most part, not sure why. maybe the Gretzky connection created the allure.

I can't see this flying. From a travel pov or general interest pov.

We're west man, its what we are. Wer'e pretty far west Geographically. To consider this as Central within the continent is a joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad