GDT: Oilers' Moms vs Tomas' birthday celebration (and Sharks home cooking) 7:30

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
you know if you put a poll up with Jumbo and Patty in their primes that would be close. HF hates Jumbo though so they’d probably get blown out. Side note, Best game of the year tonight imo

Really hate this kind of victim logic. You think they would get blown out because of “hate”...and not just because they are clearly inferior?

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
However, they are at the top of the division so we managed to stop them from doing whatever they've been doing to win so that's cool.

They started strong, but are a 50/50 team over the last 10 games or so. I wouldn’t consider them a benchmark for success.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
However, they are at the top of the division so we managed to stop them from doing whatever they've been doing to win so that's cool.

They’re mostly up there due to riding unsustainable goaltending and shooting from 3 players. If their goaltending plays average and those 3 forwards can’t maintain their ridiculous PDO, Edmonton is a well below average team. I’m not trying to rain on anybody’s parade but the Oilers are terrible and nobody should be fooled by their hot start to the season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They’re mostly up there due to riding unsustainable goaltending and shooting from 3 players. If their goaltending plays average and those 3 forwards can’t maintain their ridiculous PDO, Edmonton is a well below average team. I’m not trying to rain on anybody’s parade but the Oilers are terrible and nobody should be fooled by their hot start to the season.

They're up there due to a 5-0 start. They've been decidedly mediocre ever since. Their goaltending since that start has been inconsistent and it wouldn't surprise me if that continues on since nothing about their defense has shown that it's a reliable thing for them. It's at least gotten a little more structure compared to coaches past but they're still not good at it yet.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I always see these insane McDavid highlights online but for some reason, he hardly ever manages anything against the Sharks.

Also, Marleau is obviously not competitive with Draisaitl or McDavid but we'll have to see how McDavid's career ends before we can compare him to Joe. I mean... Joe's numbers are ridiculous. He is as generational as McDavid. I don't think I fully understood how good he was when I watched him play in his prime for us (I was younger and less discerning). He'd literally get 2-4 assists a game it seemed like. To the point where it was sort of expected, oh, Joe got 3 assists, makes sense... It was insane.

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
I always see these insane McDavid highlights online but for some reason, he hardly ever manages anything against the Sharks.
I keep waiting for him to "take over the game" and "assert his will on the other team", but I haven't seen it (against the sharks). You can tell he is one of the better players on the ice, but not far and away the best player to anyone watching. Kind of like Karlsson who Sens fans kept telling us how amazing he is and how he dictates the game; there are sequences he is amazing but those are more rare than the times he just looks like another player.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Also, Marleau is obviously not competitive with Draisaitl or McDavid but we'll have to see how McDavid's career ends before we can compare him to Joe. I mean... Joe's numbers are ridiculous. He is as generational as McDavid. I don't think I fully understood how good he was when I watched him play in his prime for us (I was younger and less discerning). He'd literally get 2-4 assists a game it seemed like. To the point where it was sort of expected, oh, Joe got 3 assists, makes sense... It was insane.

He's still got 21 points in 17 games against the Sharks so while he may not posterize the Sharks, he is still very productive against the team. I think it's already clear that McDavid is the superior player to Jumbo. Granted there are certain factors in his favor when comparing them by age but just from a talent perspective, I think it's clear McDavid is superior to prime Jumbo. McDavid has a similar level of vision although not as good at passing but is better overall at offense because he'll go to the net which Jumbo rarely did even at that age.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007

Vlasic loves to be up against elite talent. He thrives on that competition. Now if only he can respect the lesser talent he goes up against.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Only consider buying if you're out of Sharks TV blackout territory.

(If you want just the Sharks, check see what the cost would be for Sling Blue as you could watch NBCSN-CA.)

Found a pretty good, totally legal solution to this btw if you are like me in the sharks territory, but not in the same state (Nevada).

Youtube TV. It's $50 a month, includes CSNBA, quality is great, and it allowed me to cancel my regular cable and just have this (which saved a ton).

Just an Idea for anyone paying $200 a month for freaking cable ONLY to get Sharks games.

Reactions: one2gamble

Gunnin54

Nov 7, 2012

Agree a 36 year old Jumbo put up a PPG and was 3rd in scoring

Reactions: Sysreq and Phu

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Found a pretty good, totally legal solution to this btw if you are like me in the sharks territory, but not in the same state (Nevada).

Youtube TV. It's $50 a month, includes CSNBA, quality is great, and it allowed me to cancel my regular cable and just have this (which saved a ton).

Just an Idea for anyone paying $200 a month for freaking cable ONLY to get Sharks games.
If they had Bein sports I would have already gotten this

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
we'll have to see how McDavid's career ends before we can compare him to Joe

I'm sorry, but this is an absurd take

McDavid doesn't turn 23 until January and is currently on pace for 45 goals and 127 points, both of which top Thornton's career highs in either stat

McDavid is quite certainly a better player than prime Joe Thornton, I don't think there's a compelling argument otherwise

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach

McDavid doesn't turn 23 until January and is currently on pace for 45 goals and 127 points, both of which top Thornton's career highs in either stat

McDavid is quite certainly a better player than prime Joe Thornton, I don't think there's a compelling argument otherwise

Points aren’t everything when determining who’s a better player.

McDavid is the definition of boring personalities and probably drives a Toyota which makes him a bad teammate for not supporting his linemate Draisaitl by owning a BMW, Audi or a Benz.

McDavid also mocks his linemate Kassians struggle with hair by not shaving his head in solidarity. Instead he will rock the long hair flow just to rub it in further.

Jumbo however, knew back in the day PF loved PlayStation and despite being a Nintendo 64 guy himself he would go out of his way to play PlayStation with his teammate.

Jumbo also grew a big beard to support his friend and favorite wookie in Burns.

Also McDavid scoring so much with Draisaitl makes his other teammates look bad in comparison.

Jumbo knowing this allows his teammates to out score him making them look good.

It’s pretty clear who the better player is.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach

I wonder if that’ll work living in SoCal. Somehow I’m in both Ducks and Kings blackout zones so I’m paying for NHL.tv knowing I’ll be missing out on like 8 games or so.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
They're up there due to a 5-0 start. They've been decidedly mediocre ever since. Their goaltending since that start has been inconsistent and it wouldn't surprise me if that continues on since nothing about their defense has shown that it's a reliable thing for them. It's at least gotten a little more structure compared to coaches past but they're still not good at it yet.

I’m not a fan of arbitrarily cutting off a team’s performance after a certain date although I don’t disagree with your conclusion.

Right now, they’ve got a goal differential of +7 and their goaltenders have saved 8.61 more goals than expected. An average goaltender should allow exactly as many goals as expected, so with average goaltending, they’d be negative in goal differential. This is all with Draisaitl shooting at 23.4%, Neal shooting at 23.1%, and Kassian shooting at 20.7%.

I think their goaltenders would be fortunate to be average for the remainder of the season so I don’t really see a winning formula for them this season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I’m not a fan of arbitrarily cutting off a team’s performance after a certain date although I don’t disagree with your conclusion.

Right now, they’ve got a goal differential of +7 and their goaltenders have saved 8.61 more goals than expected. An average goaltender should allow exactly as many goals as expected, so with average goaltending, they’d be negative in goal differential. This is all with Draisaitl shooting at 23.4%, Neal shooting at 23.1%, and Kassian shooting at 20.7%.

I think their goaltenders would be fortunate to be average for the remainder of the season so I don’t really see a winning formula for them this season.

It's only a way to show their inconsistency as a team. They got off to a hot start and played very well then the team started to get into the grind of the regular season and started to sag overall. They're a thin team with little defensive identity. It's possible for Draisaitl and McDavid to carry them to the playoffs even with inconsistent goaltending and a meh defense but it's going to take a Herculean effort from them. It's not out of their capability but it's not a winning strategy either.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
you know what's amazing, after being completely caved for the first dozen games or so, the sharks are back above 50% all corsi and are near the top of the league in corsi close or tied.

Reactions: jarr92

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
So Patty Marleau has been a pretty solid add. I'm glad he's proving people wrong about him being done.
The real Patty wouldn't brag...:laugh:

If Jumbo's game comes around the could be a pretty nice 3rd line. Jumbo def looked better in this one. Goody and Gamby are playing well enough that I would let that ride a little while before making a move for a forward. There has to be some hope that a prospect can eventually force their way into the top 6. Not sure how some of those guys are doing with the Cuda though.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

McDavids points from now and Jumbo's MVP season aren't really comparable. I don't see Mcdavid putting up these point totals in the clutch and grab era. Also he probably get's KOd a few times since that was before they were monitoring head shots the way they are now. Jumbos dominance back then was that no one could take the puck from him back then due to his strength and reach. I can't even imagine how many points prime era jumbo would have in todays NHL. This will be interesting to see as it unfolds over the years though. McDavid relies on his superior speed and great hands. Ive watched tons of fast forwards become comparatively ineffective as they age due to slowing down. We'll see how he does after surgeries that are probably inevitable considering his style of play and speed. Jumbo always dictated the pace of games at a speed that he mostly maintained until his knee injuries. Mcdavid likely won't be able to maintain that into his mid to late 30s unless he stays as healthy as Marleau has. I just don't see it. Patty also had the benefit of being a fairly big bodied player who could withstand the rigors of NHL physical play whereas McDavid seems a little more slight of frame. Basically an inch less and almost 30 lbs lighter. That's a ton especially when it's likely mostly muscle for Patty's benefit.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->