Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 4-2

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Kessel's a pretty darn good player, people underrate him on this board. You're probably talking about one of the best pure snipers in the game.

Hall/RNH/Eberle I'm not worried about. They already are producing up to their contracts and they are only going to get better as their contracts go on. The rest of this roster is where the problem is.

The point is that our 3 highest paid players are all playing on the same line virtually all the time. huge toi, with huge PP minutes, good offensive D support, sometimes even 5 forward alignments, and they aren't really scoring that many goals. What people need to consider is how many goals scored a topline in Toronto bags vs our topline here. They are really failing in that regard. Not even producing the goals they should. This is before even looking at the GA allowed which is abject fail.

Fact of the matter is the 3 highest paid players on the team, put together in one basket, are currently getting beat for fun.. Yes, our problems do start from there if one is ever expecting a winning club that scores more goals than its opposition. I'd be happy at this point if the first line even learned to float.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Over the last 4 years out of Gagner, RNH, Hall, Hemksy and Eberle:

Eberle has the most games played
Eberle has the most goals
Eberle has the most assists
Eberle has the most points
Eberle has a better +- than all but RNH (who has only played 3 years.)
Eberle is second in GWG and PP goals to Hall
Eberle is a close second to Hall in ppg (.81 to .86)

Insane to target him for a trade unless you are getting massive value.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The point is that our 3 highest paid players are all playing on the same line virtually all the time. huge toi, with huge PP minutes, good offensive D support, sometimes even 5 forward alignments, and they aren't really scoring that many goals. What people need to consider is how many goals scored a topline in Toronto bags vs our topline here. They are really failing in that regard. Not even producing the goals they should. This is before even looking at the GA allowed which is abject fail.

Fact of the matter is the 3 highest paid players on the team, put together in one basket, are currently getting beat for fun.. Yes, our problems do start from there if one is ever expecting a winning club that scores more goals than its opposition. I'd be happy at this point if the first line even learned to float.

Someone must be scoring on that line if they're all hovering around a ppg.

That or our defence must be some kind of offensive juggernaut that we've overlooked for the first 25 games.

70+ point players in the new NHL are going to command 8 million per, especially with that Rogers TV contract and the cap going skywards.

Oiler fans are simply out of touch on this issue thinking everyone should take 25% less than their market value to play here. Keep dreaming folkes.

Also why the thumbing of the nose at Toronto, as if they're worthy of our disdain or something? LOL. Toronto is one of the best offensive teams in the NHL and have one of the best pure snipers in the game.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Someone must be scoring on that line if they're all hovering around a ppg.

How many goals the line actually produces is more relevant than how many pts the linemates get.

Our topline is nowhere near where it needs to be in terms of even goal production.

They're not scoring enough even as a starting point. But considering the avalanche of GA its an ugly picture.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
How many goals the line actually produces is more relevant than how many pts the linemates get.

Our topline is nowhere near where it needs to be in terms of even goal production.

They're not scoring enough even as a starting point. But considering the avalanche of GA its an ugly picture.

I'd love to have a 40 goal scorer on our first line, but those don't grow on trees. In the last full NHL season there were 4 guys in the entire league who had more than 40.

Hall/Eberle are 30+ goal types in their prime, maybe they hit 40+ in a really special season or two.

RNH is a playmaker first, we've always known that.

You can't get points if the puck is not going in the net. The team sucks as a whole defensively, but since when was Jordan Eberle and Taylor Hall drafted to be two way players at age 22/23?

Oct 30, 2011
the kid line is effective when they backcheck hard and sacrifice their bodies to make plays.
Both and RNH and Hall have the wheels to get back and strip players of the puck. Eberle can be effective in the defensive zone when he makes the simple play, usually taking the hit and chipping it out to start the transition play.

They don't do it consistently though. They end up flying the zone and making long, low percentage passes. Then one guy gets caught in the dzone while the other two have to come back, and by that time they are hemmed in.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
the kid line is effective when they backcheck hard and sacrifice their bodies to make plays.
Both and RNH and Hall have the wheels to get back and strip players of the puck. Eberle can be effective in the defensive zone when he makes the simple play, usually taking the hit and chipping it out to start the transition play.

They don't do it consistently though. They end up flying the zone and making long, low percentage passes. Then one guy gets caught in the dzone while the other two have to come back, and by that time they are hemmed in.

Excellent succinct description. Its not because they can't..

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I'm not surprised they lost as they were playing a team they humiliated the week before and on the second night of back to backs, well...nothing to see here folks.

What I am disappointed about is everytime they have a chance to catch the Flames (points wise), they have been coming out on the wrong end lately. L.A. should beat the Flames tonight so that will give the Oilers another chance tomorrow. It won't matter much in standings if they do catch them as the Oilers have more games played, but the Flames are the first rung on the ladder of teams they need to catch. I also read on TSN that Robidas broke his leg last night against Chicago. He is arguably their best d-man, so his absence might give the Oilers some more room out there.

Traditionally, the Oilers never seem to do well in Dallas...but they did beat them 5-1 there last season.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I wasn't implying that Kessel is a bad player. Kessel is has been one of the top point producers in the NHL in the last few year but he is a one dimensional player just like Eberle and Hall. Here's the stats for the last 3 seasons.

Kessel:
2011/12 GP:82 G:37 A:45 Pts:82

2012/13 GP:48 G:20 A:32 Pts:52

2013/14 GP:25 G:13 A:9 Pts:22

Taylor Hall:
2011/12 GP:61 G:27 A:26 Pts:53

2012/13 GP:45 G:16A:34 Pts:50

2013/14 GP:20 G:7 A:12 Pts:19

Eberle
2011/12 GP:78 G:34 A:42 Pts:76

2012/13 GP:48 G:16 A:21 Pts:37

2013/14 GP:27 G:9 A:14 Pts: 23

I'm just saying that Eberle and Hall have pretty close stats to Kessel at 2mil less of a cap hit. Is the few extra points that Kessel will score worth the extra 2 million?

Meanashell11

Jan 3, 2003
Greenwich CT
Visit site

Really? Are you sure about that?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I wasn't implying that Kessel is a bad player. Kessel is has been one of the top point producers in the NHL in the last few year but he is a one dimensional player just like Eberle and Hall. Here's the stats for the last 3 seasons.

Kessel:
2011/12 GP:82 G:37 A:45 Pts:82

2012/13 GP:48 G:20 A:32 Pts:52

2013/14 GP:25 G:13 A:9 Pts:22

Taylor Hall:
2011/12 GP:61 G:27 A:26 Pts:53

2012/13 GP:45 G:16A:34 Pts:50

2013/14 GP:20 G:7 A:12 Pts:19

Eberle
2011/12 GP:78 G:34 A:42 Pts:76

2012/13 GP:48 G:16 A:21 Pts:37

2013/14 GP:27 G:9 A:14 Pts: 23

I'm just saying that Eberle and Hall have pretty close stats to Kessel at 2mil less of a cap hit. Is the few extra points that Kessel will score worth the extra 2 million?

Kessel is a fantastic player. I would take him on my team any day. Boston IMO screwed the pooch twice by letting him get away and then letting Seguin go too.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
If we're trading anyone I still think it should be Hall. His most valuable asset is his skating compared to the rest of the big 4 (Eberle - Shot, Nuge - Hockey IQ/Playmaking, Yakupov - Shot/Creativity). He's a slightly above average playmaker who tends to force the play, he has a VERY average shot, and he's not physically dominant.

Someone please sell me on Hall, because even last year, I feel like he puts up "Phantom" points. He's only sometimes the cause of a goal occurring.

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
If we're trading anyone I still think it should be Hall. His most valuable asset is his skating compared to the rest of the big 4 (Eberle - Shot, Nuge - Hockey IQ/Playmaking, Yakupov - Shot/Creativity). He's a slightly above average playmaker who tends to force the play, he has a VERY average shot, and he's not physically dominant.

Someone please sell me on Hall, because even last year, I feel like he puts up "Phantom" points. He's only sometimes the cause of a goal occurring.

Hall's biggest strength is manufacturing chances. He is light years better than anyone on our team in that regard. Not sure how this isn't obvious to even the most casual observer.

oilchamp99

Jan 5, 2011
Edmonton
Over the last 4 years out of Gagner, RNH, Hall, Hemksy and Eberle:

Eberle has the most games played
Eberle has the most goals
Eberle has the most assists
Eberle has the most points
Eberle has a better +- than all but RNH (who has only played 3 years.)
Eberle is second in GWG and PP goals to Hall
Eberle is a close second to Hall in ppg (.81 to .86)

Insane to target him for a trade unless you are getting massive value.

Shouldn't the guy who has played the most games have the most goals, assists, and points? What does that really prove?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad