Oilers lose 4-1 to Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

am_man

Aug 13, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Through 4 games he sure as **** is. Galchenyuk is playing with confidence and skill that Yakupov couldn't even dream of right now. Yakupov looks completely lost out there. Can't get his shot off with any regularity, can't make the easy pass and just looks brain dead trying to cover the point.

Yakupov doesn't look like a #1 overall talent right now. Not even close. Better get his head straight soon.

Galchenyuk is also playing with skill players while yak is spending his time on the ice with Gordon and Smyth with almost no power play time. Hard to compare the two players so far this season

Evets 81

Dec 29, 2012
B.C.
I think that was the most competitive the Oilers have been so far. With the exception of a defensive lapse or two and more than a few bad bounces, that was a good game. The Oilers had possession of the puck for a lengthy period of time. They didn't shoot, but its at least something that they were able to win some battles for the puck and show some skill at moving it around the offensive zone for more than just an end-end rush. For once, I feel comfortable saying that they looked like they were trying out there tonight.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
As much as I love young NHL players and their "potential", we might have to package the 1st and one of the young guys for something. This team plays like crap, time to trade someone and make an exaple out of them, play hard or be traded. Because in all honesty I could care less at this point if a player has potential, I want results and I want them now. Its been too long dealing with this crap, its like watching groundhog day for 8 years straight...

/rant after a loss

I think thats a rash decision.

We have seen flashes of brilliance from all of the young "stars". We know what they are capable of and none of them are playing up to par right now (although RNH was great last game).

What I just dont understand is how all of our players are slumping offensively and defensively right now except for a select few? Is the coaching system that drastically different? Can't blame it on lack of offseason conditioning...So what is it then?

Hall looks lost out there at times. He's still skating like a madman but cant stick handle at all or make a pass to save his life. Yakupov's shots are way off target and he can't play a lick of defense right now. Eberle is just snake bitten and doesn't seem to be able to get the puck to settle for him at all. Not to mention our D. Petry has looked horrible at times. Ference isn't as good as I had hoped. Everyone just looks really uneasy with the puck.

I just dont get it.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
I am actually getting really tired of Smid these days. Guy can't move the puck, died on his stick so many times. Also Arco is brutal.

Not sure why all the yak hate, he created chances. Budaj was really good, could have easly scored 3-4 that game.

Budaj stood in his net and that was basically it. Our chances were so poor that the only time we managed to surprise him was when Smyth fell comically into likely his only goal this year.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Ive watched ~65 games a year for the past 7 seasons. At some point, Id just rather spend that time doing something else when 2/3 games aren't even that fun to watch. I don't begrudge anyone for holding out for those good games, but Ive had enough for now.

They got crushed. This game was as close to an easy win as hockey provides, and they only managed one goal, against Montreal's backup.

You'll be back. They always are.

"Hmm.. what to do? Oh the Oilers game is on. Ugh, gross, I hate those guys. Hm.. Maybe a puzzle? Nah, I'm not in the mood...What's the score in the ga-- NO, I'm not watching the stupid Oilers. They are taking away years from my life...

Maybe I'll just check it out a little, just in case."

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Petry was studly that game.

Basically impenetrable the first two periods. Had a couple gaffes in the third.

He was the least of the Oilers' problems tonight.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Yep, no question about it. Better overall player for sure. Yak might have a higher offensive ceiling but Galchenyuk does everything well while Yak has major holes in his game that i'm not sure are easily fixable.

I love Yak, he's a beauty and he'll be a good player - but Galchenyuk is clearly better.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I am actually getting really tired of Smid these days. Guy can't move the puck, died on his stick so many times. Also Arco is brutal.

Not sure why all the yak hate, he created chances. Budaj was really good, could have easly scored 3-4 that game.

Why the Arco hate? He's won faceoffs and made some quality passes and plays; and seems to be holding his own on his line... he's one the least of our worries at this point.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Real upgrade on coaching Mac T .

Weren't you the one blaming Dubnyk in the GDT thread? Seems like you're 0 for 2 here.
When are some of you going to realize that maybe it isn't the coaches fault anymore and that maybe the players aren't very good?

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
You're all a bunch of ****ing downers. Seriously.

1-3 isn't the end of the world. Stop being so dramatic. There's a reason why the season has 82 games.

If we're still struggling into November, sure, jump off bridges.

4 games in? Little premature.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Don't forget that Yakupov has been shown nothing but ****** wingers for a majority of his career so far. He's not being treated like a 1st overall winger.

I'm not taking his side, but we must keep in mind that it's easy to lose confidence when you have to create offense by yourself.

Again though, he is a 1st overall draft pick. He should be able to get past this.

My changes for next game? Put Hall on the third line, put Perron on the first and switch up Eberle and Yakupov.

With as much as Eakins has switched up lines through the first 4 games, Yakupov has had plenty of time with offensive players at ES on the PP to generate something. Other than hitting the post against Jersey he isn't getting it done.

Nail Yakupov does not look like an NHL player at the moment. That is something you have never been able to say about Hall or RNH. Even when one of them has struggled they've always looked like NHLers.

Yakupov looks like he belongs in the minors. As I said, he better get his head on straight. Poor line mates isn't an excuse. A first overall should be able to create something on his own or make the players around him better. Yakupov does neither right now.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Petry was studly that game.

Basically impenetrable the first two periods. Had a couple gaffes in the third.

He was the least of the Oilers' problems tonight.

I agree, I thought Petry was solid, one thing I like is when we are down he always has a really good rush or two. looks like he really cares basically.

Too be honest I think Smid is our worst D man this year so far. He is ok defensivly, but suddenly he seems a lot more flat footed, can't move the puck.

The Perfect Human*

To Hall's credit he made a saucer pass today - that's honestly the first fore-handed saucer pass he's made in his career. I jumped off my couch when I saw it.

He also had a good feed over to Yakupov earlier in the 3rd that almost went for gold.

I think he was frustrated by a very solid MTL D today. Gorges, Subban, Markov - these guys are great players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad