Oilers lose 4-1 to Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinlizzy

Mar 9, 2013
On a back to back game the Oilers should have had the edge. Didn't happen.

12 min of PP and very little to show from it.

Why we started DD I don't know.

Give away totals Hall 3, Eberle 3, Petry 3

Gordon should have got more min and he crushed the dot as usual. Mike Brown 5 hits I like that. Luke G scraps it up. 4th is doing their job.

Sense of urgency isn't there. Still playing the old past style of gliding again. Guess they forgot the system plan again.

The road trip win/loss stats could get ugly.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
What you are being is elusive.
There is no issue with Corsi...it is what it is and it has value despite your convoluted efforts to discredit it. It does have a predictive quality to it provided the sample size is large enough and some variables (coaching + roster) remain in place.

The issue appears to be that you have decided that the numbers are not part of a conversation that you think is pertinent.

Read iCanada's knowledgeable post just a few posts above. If it is impossible for you to consider what I have stated then read that post which states the position very clearly.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Read iCanada's knowledgeable post just a few posts above. If it is impossible for you to consider what I have stated then read that post which states the position very clearly.

Its not impossible to consider your position.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

You have a tendency to throw the baby out with the bath water (ie...Staples) and take a perceived position of intellectual superiority. At least thats how it comes across.

I choose to disagree with an application of a advanced stat (in a particular situation) but that doesn't mean it has no value....predictive or not.

For you it has no value but that falls into the realm of opinion...not fact.

Corsi is reasonably easy to grasp and it correlates well to predicting wins and losses.
There may be better stats for that but it doesn't mean Corsi has no value which seems to be a position you and others are trying so hard to represent.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Its not impossible to consider your position.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

You have a tendency to throw the baby out with the bath water (ie...Staples) and take a perceived position of intellectual superiority. At least thats how it comes across.

I choose to disagree with an application of a advanced stat (in a particular situation) but that doesn't mean it has no value....predictive or not.

For you it has no value but that falls into the realm of opinion...not fact.

Corsi is reasonably easy to grasp and it correlates well to predicting wins and losses.
There may be better stats for that but it doesn't mean Corsi has no value which seems to be a position you and others are trying so hard to represent.

Well, in the case of Staples what you say possibly applies. I wouldn't apply this with any of the Corsi geeks in question. How could I, only yesterday I made up the term statistical virility. lol, thats what I get for having a walking thesaurus residing in my brain..damn creative vocabulary..;)

I'm just invoking another method of testing for statistical validity. One that is commonly used. Predicting, forecasting, is a common application of test scores for many measuring instruments. Most testing metrics are established for the utility of administering testing to predict future scores, results, or behavior.

Predictive validity is one means to validate or invalidate a test or metric. Just a brief overview;

http://explorable.com/predictive-validity

Last edited:

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
The Oilers need a player like Steve Ott.

The Oilers need a goaltender they can rely on. Until the rest of management gets this through their arrogant heads nothing is going to change. You can't win in this league with out a legit #1 goalie. You can ice all the skill in the world or have the grittiest toughest team around but when the team can't keep the most basic of scoring chances out of the net they will never win.

It is time for Lowe and his arrogance to hit the road. How the hell can a guy offer sheet a player like Penner but not be willing to go after the most important position in the game?

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Yet they beat the Oilers 4-1... what does that say about the Oil?

that the game could have gone either way IMO.

the habs did not look convincing at all. If I were a habs fan, that is not the game that results in chest thumping, but if you think so, then good for you.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
not sure how habs fans get off criticizing the Oilers and struttin after that win.
they did not look impressive....at all.

This is the Habs playing poorly on the road and coming up with a win. Not their best game by any stretch. Still, its a typically hard working club, well coached, that play a team game.
Which beats individual efforts almost any day.

At some point one would think the stars on this club who are supposed best players in respective draft years need to play like this is a team sport.

Hall is -6. Is playing 25mins/night. That is mutually exclusive to winning.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
This is the Habs playing poorly on the road and coming up with a win. Not their best game by any stretch. Still, its a typically hard working club, well coached, that play a team game.
Which beats individual efforts almost any day.

At some point one would think the stars on this club who are supposed best players in respective draft years need to play like this is a team sport.

Hall is -6. Is playing 25mins/night. That is mutually exclusive to winning.

Last year, this team won games when Hall seized the bull by the horns. He dominated games for stretches at a time last season. He hasn't done it this season. All of our so-called "elite players" need to play as such. Last year, it did not happen consistently, and this year it hasn't happened at all.

We are only four games into the season, but...we're waiting.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
all I care if is they do it at the right moment, unlike past years to start the season, and fall short.
let the teams starting strong have their fun, like we used to...all I care about is how we finish the race, not how we start it.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

the habs did not look convincing at all. If I were a habs fan, that is not the game that results in chest thumping, but if you think so, then good for you.

I couldn't care less what HABS fans think. I don't think Oilers fan should be acting like the game could have gone either way... but if you think so, then good for you. Continue to support mediocrity.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I couldn't care less what HABS fans think. I don't think Oilers fan should be acting like the game could have gone either way... but if you think so, then good for you. Continue to support mediocrity.

:laugh:

sorry...what a DOMINATING performance by the HABS.

good for your team:handclap: hope for continued success.

p.s. habs fans should not be commenting other fans with "Continue to support mediocrity." posts:help:

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE

What do you want us to do, stop cheering for our team?

Do you not get that we are all just fans? Nothin we do affects the outcome of the game? Some people act all high and mighty like they're actually superior because the team they support is better than the team somebody else supports. It's hilarious. Congrats on aiding your team to their .500 record. You're doing a great job.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

So why are you supporting this team then?

Actually I'm not even sure who you are. Why are you here other than to rile up people?

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Well, in several posts I stated the habs would win this game and book it. I stated that because this club isn't playing any type of system yet and the brief times it flirts with it isn't enough to gain familiarity. What we have here is still some overconfident stars that are not completely convinced they need to play a smart, solid, all round game. Instead we get selfish, individual contributions instead of sound team hockey.

The Habs play the latter. Given how these two clubs currently play the game I'll bet on the team approach anytime.

The most frustrating thing is the Oilers could, and probably should, start to be good right about now. But they're spinning the same wheels instead so far.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Let's see how Hall does with another full game at LW.

Much of the - was center/Van game related.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
:laugh:

sorry...what a DOMINATING performance by the HABS.

good for your team:handclap: hope for continued success.

p.s. habs fans should not be commenting other fans with "Continue to support mediocrity." posts:help:

Where did you get the idea I was a habs fan? Is it because some of us are tired of the same mediocre BS and refuse to give management a pass any longer? Keep drinking your kool-aid or thinking that anyone not praising mediocrity must be an opposing teams fan. :laugh:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Where did you get the idea I was a habs fan? Is it because some of us are tired of the same mediocre BS and refuse to give management a pass any longer? Keep drinking your kool-aid or thinking that anyone not praising mediocrity must be an opposing teams fan. :laugh:

Where the hell have we said we're mediocre? We haven't been mediocre in years.

Hell, being mediocre led us to be bad because we refused to accept the truth after the 2007 season.

If you're tired then do something besides whine on an internet message board. If you're so sick of this team, then prove it.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Where the hell have we said we're mediocre? We haven't been mediocre in years.

Hell, being mediocre led us to be bad because we refused to accept the truth after the 2007 season.

If you're tired then do something besides whine on an internet message board. If you're so sick of this team, then prove it.

Nobody just "proves it". It's all fluff.

If someone is tired of something they always have a choice to change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->