Oilers lose 3-0 to the Ducks

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
A few statistical gems about our captain.

5 takeaways and 17 giveaways this year. By far the worst ratio on the team of any forward at .29, 2nd worst forward is Smyth at .58, Horcoff is twice as bad in that department as the next forward.

I've stated this before. He has 1 game winning goal in his last 154 games played and went a span of 134 games in a row without a game winning goal.

Zero short handed goals in the last 7 years (1230 minutes on the ice). During that time we have had 23 players score 38 short handed goals.

Over the last 5 years, 34 goals even strength, 25 goals on the pp. 37% of his points during that time came via the pp.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
A few statistical gems about our captain.

5 takeaways and 17 giveaways this year. By far the worst ratio on the team of any forward at .29, 2nd worst forward is Smyth at .58, Horcoff is twice as bad in that department as the next forward.

I've stated this before. He has 1 game winning goal in his last 154 games played and went a span of 134 games in a row without a game winning goal.

Zero short handed goals in the last 7 years (1230 minutes on the ice). During that time we have had 23 players score 38 short handed goals.

Over the last 5 years, 34 goals even strength, 25 goals on the pp. 37% of his points during that time came via the pp.

But poor Horcoff has had zero veteran support and has had to shelter/babysit the likes of Gagner, RNH, Hall, Eberle, Cogliano, Nilsson, Brule, POS, etc during his time.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Really hope they buy out Horcoff this summer and that Smytty does the right thing and retires. Gagner has been very frustrating to watch this last stretch of games.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Meanwhile the donkey balls captain is saying we played a good game, or 'not that bad'.

Another season, another 6 million in the bank for him (or whatever it is if they were paid pro-rated because of the shortened season). So yeah, he's a happy man. Thankfully it goes down next year to 4 mil, a lot closer to what he should've been making all along. Cap hit still sucks, though.

Maybe MacT can pull off miracle of all miracles and trade him for a real team leader. Someone who hates to lose.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
They don't need the money next year. It's not your money. Haters stop hating

They don't need the money if they want to stay exactly where they are or worse..

But if they want to win and get out of the ******* hole they're in, they'll buy him out and use the money where it's needed..

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
They don't need the money next year. It's not your money. Haters stop hating

1) Yes they do need the money next year when shedding the contract of a very badly flawed player who brings nothing of note and is easily replaceable might allow you to pick up other more useful players.

2) The moment the Edmonton Oiler hockey club essentially got the city to build them an arena while claiming they were poor all of the teams financial moves are relevant and important to me.

oilfan09

Jan 11, 2010
Not sure why people rag on Horcoff all the time...Yes he is not worth the 5.5mil/year but why do you care? Are you paying him? Are we close to cap hit? Answers are No to both questions so just stop with all the hate.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
I hate when people say , "it's not our money. Who cares!"

Well, when hardcore fans emotionally and financially invest in a team, we do care how that money is spent.

Spending it idiotically (Like a Horcoff contract) can hinder the team for a while.

Gate revenue is where most of their wages come from. Of course we care where our money is going.

Yes, we can stop spending it too.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Not sure why people rag on Horcoff all the time...Yes he is not worth the 5.5mil/year but why do you care? Are you paying him? Are we close to cap hit? Answers are No to both questions so just stop with all the hate.
Because the 5.5 million dollars can be spent on a better player that would make our team better? It's pretty simple. Even if he was payed 2.5 million, he's still a terrible player.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton

I strongly disagree with this logic. Yes all the fans are paying him. People watching TV are paying him. He gets a chunk of all of that.

The cap hit argument is irrelevant. There's a serious problem with this guy getting the money he is but because you're not at the cliff yet it doesn't matter? Eventually it will be a problem whether it straps us because of future contracts or the fact that some players think they're entitled to more money because of what Horcoff got.

The contract aside now, the guy deserves every bit of hate he gets. He doesn't hit, he doesn't fight, he doesnt score, he doesnt get points. What does he do other than win faceoffs? He is next to ****ing useless, however because our center depth is so bad people think that we need him or something.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Because he flat out sucks and I've had enough of him.

He could be playing for $1 and I'd still want him bought out.

It's time to move on from all the "going through the motions" players that have been around for this rebuild.

Horcoff and Hemsky need to go.

Addition by subtraction.

oilfan09

Jan 11, 2010
I don't disagree that he is bad or he is not worth it but I just don't see the point in buying him out when we were nowhere close to the cap for the past couple seasons. Some of you guys said that we can spend the money on a better player but why haven't we? Like I said, we are nowhere near the cap and have never spent any money close to the cap so buying or not buying out horcoff should not affect our team moving forward in general. Also, it was not Horcoff who pointed a gun at Lowe for that contract.....He obviously earned it (at that time) but failed to deliver.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
1.I don't disagree that he is bad or he is not worth it but I just don't see the point in buying him out when we were nowhere close to the cap for the past couple seasons.

Agree

Some of you guys said that we can spend the money on a better player but why haven't we? Like I said, we are nowhere near the cap and have never spent any money close to the cap so buying or not buying out horcoff should not affect our team moving forward in general.

Agree/Disagree

Also, it was not Horcoff who pointed a gun at Lowe for that contract.....He obviously earned it (at that time) but failed to deliver.

Disagree. In congract negotiations two parties come from both sides and try to meet a middle ground. Horcoff/Agent had to be asking for around 7 million a year. I really doubt Lowe just said here have 5.5 million a year.

Secondly, he never earned it. His 70 point season was because of Hemsky and Smyth. His 50 point season was his only good season, and that somehow amounted to awarding a 29 year old grinder a 6 year 5.5 million deal. That has to be one of the dumbest moves in all time.

How many people get better from 29 to 35? just a total stupid contract. I hate Lowe and I hate Horcoff.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Buying out Horcoff is not about the money.

It's about buying out a crap player who is blocking the team from finding a replacement that can play hockey on a team that lacks NHL caliber players.

Horcoff has been dead in the water for 3 years now, and is only slightly less ineffective than Smyth, who looks positively prehistoric.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Remember, it's the tier 1 fans that pay his salary. Only they have the right to complain. All of us tier 2 fans need to **** and go back to our man caves, watching the game on tv like the commoners that we are.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
What does he do other than win faceoffs? He is next to ****ing useless, however because our center depth is so bad people think that we need him or something.

He has been under 50% on the dot the last three years before this one and is clinging to 50 this year in part because he is facing weaker face off opposition. It is because he can't win draws that we had to get Belanger and then Smithson.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Buying out Horcoff is not about the money.

It's about buying out a crap player who is blocking the team from finding a replacement that can play hockey on a team that lacks NHL caliber players.

Horcoff has been dead in the water for 3 years now, and is only slightly less ineffective than Smyth, who looks positively prehistoric.

Above all these issues which have been pointed out. The bloated salary, the lousy production, all of it stands the #1 reason he should be gone.

He's a very poor captain at a time when this team is loaded with young kids trying to figure out how to win. That is reason why he needs to go. Total culture change.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010

My dislike for him has nothing to do with how much he is paid because he's only paid as much as someone was willing to pay him. Don't blame him at all for that, good for him for getting paid more than he's shown to be worth on the ice.

My dislike for him comes from the fact that he is a below average player, shows no real on ice leadership, is not our best player on either side of the ice, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->