Pre-Game Talk: Oilers @ Leafs

How many goals do the Leafs score?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
so Lebrun on Toronto radio today saying he would take Matthews/Tavares over Draisaitl/McDavid, basically saying that Draisaitl is easily the worst of the 4 and McDavid can't make up the ground. Why is Draisaitl so disrespected around the league? If you make the argument that he is mainly a product of McDavid, then you have to say that McDavid is easily the best of the 4 and it should still be the Oiler duo.

I feel like people don't even mention Draisaitl's mean streak. I think that separates him from a lot of the top players in the league. This is a tank who will own physical match-ups in playoff series. Lets not forget some of the work he has done against the Flames just tossing Tkachuk/Gaudreau all over the ice. Always comes in to protect McDavid too.

Toronto media guy peddling Toronto bias to his Toronto listeners.

It's about pleasing your audience, not actually talking hockey.

It's why tsn will always be the way it is.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I don't think Leafs fans are that bad. There are bad apples in every fanbase and because the Leafs have arguably the largest, there are just more bad apples.

If any fanbase understands the suck like we do, it's the Leafs.

Only guys that drive me really nuts are the ones that think any Toronto area boy is going to run there and take a deal to be there.

There is definitely something funky about the fanbase or media or both. There are a number of examples, but the most salient one is the John Tavares commercial. That's one of the creepiest, self-glorifying things I can think of recently happening in hockey.

Reactions: Moreaupheus

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
Oilers.com mentions the goaltender.

Lines at morning skate appear to be:
Nugent-Hopkins - McDavid - Gagner
Rieder - Draisaitl - Chiasson
Lucic - Cave - Currie
Malone - Brodziak - Kassian

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Sekera - Benning

Koskinen

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
In the last 14 years, T.O. made the playoffs 3 times, and haven't won a playoff round.
In that same time frame,Edm. Made the playoffs twice and have won 4 rounds.
I'm not a leaf fan by any means, but this is just dumb.

How about we look at recent results where Toronto has made the playoffs going on 3 years in a row?

Picking 14 years because that's the only way the oilers get an extra playoff appearance is sad.

Toronto is twice what the oilers are right now, but who cares? Why are people so worried about other franchises when ours continues to flop.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Lucic - Cave - Currie

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Sekera - Benning

Koskinen
We have definitely iced worse. That third line has been pretty decent so far.

Reactions: ujju2

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
so Lebrun on Toronto radio today saying he would take Matthews/Tavares over Draisaitl/McDavid, basically saying that Draisaitl is easily the worst of the 4 and McDavid can't make up the ground. Why is Draisaitl so disrespected around the league? If you make the argument that he is mainly a product of McDavid, then you have to say that McDavid is easily the best of the 4 and it should still be the Oiler duo.

I feel like people don't even mention Draisaitl's mean streak. I think that separates him from a lot of the top players in the league. This is a tank who will own physical match-ups in playoff series. Lets not forget some of the work he has done against the Flames just tossing Tkachuk/Gaudreau all over the ice. Always comes in to protect McDavid too.

Really though, what do these guys actually know about hockey? Most of their heads look like lightly inflated balloons being squeezed out of a shirt collar. What's with that, anyways: why are these rumor analysts so squishy?

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

Lucic - Cave - Currie

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Sekera - Benning

Koskinen

Good luck Drai. Absolutely disgusting what this org surrounds him with and he still manages to produce.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

How about we look at recent results where Toronto has made the playoffs going on 3 years in a row?

Picking 14 years because that's the only way the oilers get an extra playoff appearance is sad.

Toronto is twice what the oilers are right now, but who cares? Why are people so worried about other franchises when ours continues to flop.
Its facts, and I picked 14 years because it was from the lock out from when the playoffs were last cancelled and The new NHL began.
Don't be bum hurt Bout Edmonton because of your teams futility.
That's just sad.

And even if we do recent results, like you did with 3 years....

Oilers - 1 playoff rd win
Leafs - 0 playoff rd win

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Good luck Drai. Absolutely disgusting what this org surrounds him with and he still manages to produce.

For sure. I really like that first line though. Nuge has also been carrying bad wingers for most of the season, it's time he got another stint with McDavid too.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Its facts, and I picked 14 years because it was from the lock out from when the playoffs were last cancelled and The new NHL began.
Don't be bum hurt Bout Edmonton because of your teams futility.
That's just sad.

I'm an Edmonton fan, I don't even like the leafs, but if you have to go back 14 years to try and make a point, you're no better than the guys bragging about the glory days when faced with people calling the oilers bad now.

Leafs were bad, oilers were bad.

Leafs are better now because of solid management and coaching.

Oilers are worse than every because of the OBC.

You keep holding onto your opinion that because we made the playoffs 14 years ago though that weve had almost as much recent success as the leafs.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Props to them for making the playoffs but I mean...they haven't won a playoff series since....04? Still take the success they have over ours but it hasn't been sunshine and roses over there either

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
For sure. I really like that first line though. Nuge has also been carrying bad wingers for most of the season, it's time he got another stint with McDavid too.

I think nuge drai and Kassian should be our second line. Drai and nuge each get some support in one another, and Kassian has been good.

Give McDavid Currie and I don't care who else. He can elevate anyone's play, and Currie has been good lately as well.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Props to them for making the playoffs but I mean...they haven't won a playoff series since....04? Still take the success they have over ours but it hasn't been sunshine and roses over there either

I'm aware, and I agree. They're far from succesful, but we're further.

I just hate when people start going back to arbitrary points to back up their arguments.

Like all those stupid sportsnet stats. "Since December 21 at 2pm this player has 21 points, the most of any player since 2pm on that day!"

Like... Come on.

space321

May 11, 2011

lmao I love watching Draisaitl dummy Tkachuk and Gaudreau around, that shit is hilarious

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I'm aware, and I agree. They're far from succesful, but we're further.

I just hate when people start going back to arbitrary points to back up their arguments.

Like all those stupid sportsnet stats. "Since December 21 at 2pm this player has 21 points, the most of any player since 2pm on that day!"

Like... Come on.
Did you not read my reply,or are you being wilfully ignorant?
The 14 years wasnt an arbitrary number.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
More than McDavid having a good night....I'd love to see Drai go nuts tonight to put it in the face of the media saying hes not that good.
Drai will most likely be head to head with Drai the whole night so Tavares goes against McDavid.

Love for Drai to style on Matthews.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Can't watch at work, what's the jist of it?
Nothing too crazy, probably just the standard answer when media asks any NHL player about these two, just thought it was cool coming from Matthews himself

Asked about McDavid comparison: "....those guys in the league, Connor, Sid, that are on their own level, other guys looks at that and want to be on level obviously, but for myself, I measure my self to my own standard.."

On Draisaitl "He's a really good player, he's big, he's strong on the puck...he get's goin he's a tough guy to catch too. Combination of size, speed and skill, his ability to make guys around him better and obviously score goals. He's a dangerous player"

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017

Why are you so worried about people doing what you state above. Who cares either way.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I think nuge drai and Kassian should be our second line. Drai and nuge each get some support in one another, and Kassian has been good.

Give McDavid Currie and I don't care who else. He can elevate anyone's play, and Currie has been good lately as well.

I like the idea of Drai-Nuge-Currie or Drai-Nuge-Gagner. Not sure Kassian is a great fit there. But I do agree.

Reactions: 3IR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad