Dreger: Oilers/Leafs talking Kerfoot for Benning trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Unless there's a significant + attached to Benning, that's pretty bad value for the Leafs, even though some people might not be too high on Kerfoot.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
How common is it for Dreger to be this immediate? I mean does he often say things like "it might happen this morning"?

I don't follow him so just curious.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I wouldnt do this as a Leafs fan.

Kerfoot has actually been really solid for us but many just hate the guy because he was part of the Kadri trade and hes not quite as good.

1 for 1 this would be a steal for the Oilers.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I will believe this when I see it. The ONLY logic behind this is it does clear space

Actually the reason to do this is to get a serviceable bottom pairing RHD. The Leafs COULD run him in the second pairing but I really don't recommend it. You'll like him on the bottom pairing. He has been really good for the Oilers since coming back from injury.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
This summer we may see the only piece the Leafs got for a cheap 2nd line center would be Matt Benning.

Did Dubas go to the Chiarelli school of asset management?

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
If true, I guess it means Dubas is comfortable going with Engval/Spezza/Gauthier as the bottom-2 Centers. Personally, I have been really underwhelmed by Kerfoot. I feel like he has been talked up by Colorado fans for a few years and watching him these past 50-60 games he seems like a less skilled Bozak to me. Not great at anything, but also no real glaring weakness besides a major tendency to overpass.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
As an Oiler fan I'm not sure how I feel about this trade. Kerfoot is a decent 3C and Benning is a decent bottom pairing D. Having Benning in the lineup for the Oilers has actually made a difference because when he's out we're putting a rookie on his off side on the third pairing.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
I’d be pumped if the Oilers could pull this off (assuming the add isn’t too much).

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
There's no way the Leafs are trading someone like Kerfoot for Benning 1 for 1 unless there's something else in the works for the Leafs or the trade is bigger than what it is. Kerfoot is a versatile forward that has played some pretty good minutes for the Leafs. He's been very good next to Tavares. I don't think Benning is nearly enough of a quality defenseman and I doubt the Leafs think otherwise.

There might be something there that makes sense though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad