Proposal: Oilers-Leafs(reuniting McDavid with his best friend, Morgan Rielly)

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Oilers get:
  • Morgan Rielly($5M x 2 years)
  • Andreas Johnsson($3.4M x 3 years)
Leafs get:
  • Oscar Klefbom, $333k retained($3.85M x 3 years)
  • Ryan Nugent Hopkins($6M x 1 year)

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Why in the hell would the Leafs trade their best defenceman without a clear upgrade coming back? Klefbom and Nuge are good players but definitely not what they need.
Not to mention, this doesn’t make a whole lot of sense for the Oilers side of things either. We also need to upgrade our defence and keep what little quality top 6 forwards we have.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
As much as this is silly..... are mcdavid and rielly even friends?

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I think this trade makes a lot of sense for both teams :sarcasm::sarcasm::huh:
How is this going to help either team? Id enjoy an explanation for this proposal.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
You a Panthers fan? What would you want for Weegar or Ekblad?

Neither are likely available as they formed our 1st pairing on defense and were the only good pairing we had all year.

FLA isn't likely to trade Barkov or Ekblad, Huberdeau may be the piece moved if they want to plug some holes on defense and add picks in the 2020 draft.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
This makes the Leafs a substantially worse team. Zero incentive to move by far their best d-man.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Why in the hell would the Leafs trade their best defenceman without a clear upgrade coming back? Klefbom and Nuge are good players but definitely not what they need.
Not to mention, this doesn’t make a whole lot of sense for the Oilers side of things either. We also need to upgrade our defence and keep what little quality top 6 forwards we have.

I think this assumes Matthews is traded for that D upgrade

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I just want to add that a team that will have hard core cap issues in 2021 will want to add another f/a pending because it will be so easy for Leafs to keep Hopkins, Anderson, and Hyman in 2021. Good luck with that.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
If the sole purpose of the trade is to reunite McDavid and Reilly just trade McDavid to the Leafs. I am sure they would accept almost any proposal. That is the easiest way. Unless of course, reuniting is not the only purpose.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I just want to add that a team that will have hard core cap issues in 2021 will want to add another f/a pending because it will be so easy for Leafs to keep Hopkins, Anderson, and Hyman in 2021. Good luck with that.

Dubas likes full season rentals.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Seems like all recent Leaf proposals are for guys we would not trade.

AM, JT, MM, MR, JM and FA are not available. You are wasting your time proposing them.

Reactions: Petrus

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Seems like all recent Leaf proposals are for guys we would not trade.

AM, JT, MM, MR, JM and FA are not available. You are wasting your time proposing them.

Who is JM?

Scratch that... Muzzin. I'm just slow

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Edmonton needs actual defenceman, not more forwards.

Huh? Do you have any idea what you're talking about? The Oilers definitely need forwards. However the upgrade from Klefbom to Reilly probably isn't worth the downgrade from RNH to Johansson.

If the Leafs are looking for RHD then Larsson should be their target.

Keep in mind Oiler fans just how lousy the Oilers D were with Russell playing #4D on the right side with Larsson out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad