Oilers, Leafs, Flames near the bottom, Sens near the top - Analytics report

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
You realize the reason people use advanced stats is to limit the faults of human observation as much as possible, right? The argument your making is that a single non-expert observer (you) has done such a good job of viewing every single Leafs play of the past x number of games that this single non-expert observer provides better analysis of the games than indicators (shots and percentages) collected from every game by multiple people who are paid to do so.

Did you watch every second of the game intently? Did you never stop to talk to your buddy, eat some food, or drink some beer? Were you 100% sober for all of the games? Did you never let your mind wander to any other topic? Did you always follow the puck from end-to-end without watching what was happening on the bench or in the crowd? Did you keep track of the number of shots off the rush vs the number of dump-ins, or was it just a "feeling" you got from watching the games? Were you entirely unemotional while watching? Did you track the distance of each shot from the net?

Because those are just a chunk of the human factors that lead to faulty, garbage analysis of sports, especially fast-moving ones like hockey, and the reason that some people prefer numbers that, while imperfect, are better than a single non-expert observer (or a single observer of any kind).

In conclusion: hurr durr.

Haha that was cute, but this has nothing to do with my person game-watching routines nor any nonexistent implications that my statements are based on emotion. If it were, it would sway to dismiss the Leafs success as I want anything but for them to succeed.

This is per professional coaches, scouts, and executives that DO watch, re-watch, and analyze every second of game in conjunction with statistical support to conclude that the Leafs capitalized off the rush. All this information can be found in the recent Summer Interview series on Maple Leafs Hot Stove, which has an uncanny ability to get better and more pointed interviews with hockey staff then I've seen in any main media outlet or internet source league-wide.

In conclusion: nice try, thanks for coming out.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
They do. They tend to defy averages based on providing a superior shot differential.

In terms of percentages, I don't have any citations on-hand, but there has been a strong correlation found between shot attempts (Fenwick, Corsi) and scoring chances, and there is very obviously a strong correlation between scoring chances and goals.

So yes, as an earlier poster said, goals determine the winner. However, goals are variable based to a notable degree on luck (not majority, but notable) and thus very difficult to predict. The ability to outshoot, however, is based substantially less on luck and thus easier to predict. Just because a team outshoots does not mean it will outscore and thus win, but long term it is the best way to analyze hockey. It's certainly better than "lol but this guy hits hard and scares other guys" or "look at the heart this team plays with".

Isn't there a section for this?

I don't go into that section because I'm not interested in advanced stats crap. This isn't baseball

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
How can anybody say this? One bounce can be the difference between eternal glory and being entirely forgotten.

I'm pretty sure that comment deserved a :sarcasm:

Either way, of course luck has something to do with the game. That said, a team that "statistically" had tonnes of luck, is not necessarily going to repeat. While a team that had minimal luck "statistically" is more likely going to at least stay in a similar position.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
How, exactly, does one take last season's results and use them to predict how teams will perform the next year?

Different Season, Different Teams, Different Training Regiments in the Off-Season, Different Schedule, Different Divisions.

The base variables have changed to such a drastic effect that I can't see how it would be effective.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Makes sense really. The Oilers were not hard to play against last year and outside of Hall, didn't create much. Not sure how they've changed their roster much, Perron should help, so I can see where these numbers come from.

RNH being healthy should lead to some improvement. Eberle is a good player but IMO he's the complimentary player in that pairing. RNH gets going and suddenly Eberle is scoring a lot more goals.

KingKopitar11*

Lol this guy is an idiot. It always turns out to be the opposite when "analysts" make an "analysis".

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
I guess I should have put the :sarcasm: in the post.

Its absurd to leave out luck in hockey, which is exactly what Vollman tried to do.
Again, he isn't trying to leave out luck, he's making the likeliest projection according to his model. Predicting which star player is going to tear his ACL because he skates over a rut in the ice during preseason is not a fruitful venture and it is asinine to do so. It's like saying that a poker player is leaving luck out when calculating the odds that Ace-King suited will beat a pair of Fives.

Master_Of_Districts

Apr 9, 2007
Black Ruthenia
"Analysis" had Leafs finishing 12th in the East last year.. :laugh:

How does that negate the reasonableness of the prediction?

Because of the randomness that inheres in an 82 game sample, the best team in the league (with respect to underlying talent) could miss the playoffs in any particular year.

If that happens, does that mean that the person who predicted the team to finish first is a fool?

Of course not.

The fool is the person who fails to understand that there is an imperfect correspondence between talent and results.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Precisely.

Related - folks who didn't use analysis made a lot of predictions last year that turned out to be silly. Is that a mandate to use analysis? No. And neither is this a reason to toss it all out.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
How does that negate the reasonableness of the prediction?

Because of the randomness that inheres in an 82 game sample, the best team in the league (with respect to underlying talent) could miss the playoffs in any particular year.

If that happens, does that mean that the person who predicted the team to finish first is a fool?

Of course not.

The fool is the person who fails to understand that there is an imperfect correspondence between talent and results.
And of course, it wasn't an 82 game season we had, it was 48 games which meant even more variance in the results.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
RNH being healthy should lead to some improvement. Eberle is a good player but IMO he's the complimentary player in that pairing. RNH gets going and suddenly Eberle is scoring a lot more goals.

Really the one thing I think I can take from this is that yes perhaps the Oilers may have been the worst team last year. Doesn't mean they'll be the worst team this year though perhaps likely though. If we just based the next years standings off of last years performances nothing would really ever change.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
How, exactly, does one take last season's results and use them to predict how teams will perform the next year?

Different Season, Different Teams, Different Training Regiments in the Off-Season, Different Schedule, Different Divisions.

The base variables have changed to such a drastic effect that I can't see how it would be effective.

Almost 24 hrs later from your post, I'd also like to know.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Really the one thing I think I can take from this is that yes perhaps the Oilers may have been the worst team last year. Doesn't mean they'll be the worst team this year though perhaps likely though. If we just based the next years standings off of last years performances nothing would really ever change.
Given that the rankings have the Senators at a 1 in 3 shot of winning the President's Trophy we can make a reasonable guess that they're projecting some change.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Analytics suggest the 29th overall Leafs team was far better than last years Leaf team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->