GDT: Oilers@ LEAFS, 7:00pm, TV: TSN RADIO: TSN 1050

Status
Not open for further replies.

xsiej00

Mar 20, 2017
Kosice
Leafs look to shut down McDavid, Oilers in second meeting

From article by Kristen Shilton

Maple Leafs’ head coach Sheldon Keefe knows that many of the accolades his team has garnered on its current 10-game point streak fall on top players like William Nylander, John Tavares, Mitch Marner and Auston Matthews.
But the real story of Toronto’s success goes beyond its first two forward lines.
“A lot of attention gets put on our guys who produce a lot and at a high rate, and we certainly need those guys to produce,” said Keefe after the Leafs’ practice on Sunday. “But you also need balance; you need the other guys to contribute at different times. Even our fourth line. Sometimes they don't get to produce in terms of the puck going in the net…but they’ve kept the puck in the offensive zone and allowed some of our best guys to come over the boards fresh to get scoring chances so that's part of the balance too is just getting those types of contributions that assist the difference-makers to do their thing.”

It would be hard to decipher, based on the last 10 games, which of Toronto’s units is truly its top one anyway, setting up a 1A-1B situation between Matthews’ and Tavares’ groups.
The Leafs don’t mind that though and appreciate how it enhances their attack, while giving everyone plenty of chances to rack up points. Over the last 10 games, Matthews has produced 17 points (nine goals, eight assists), Marner has 16 (six goals, 10 assists), Nylander has 15 (eight goals, seven assists) and Tavares has 11 (three goals, eight assists).
“I think it’s been great,” Matthews said of the offence coming together. “I feel like all four lines are contributing and obviously depending on the night, one line is maybe contributing more than others, but when we’re balanced and everyone is involved, it’s pretty hard to contain.”
Recently the Leafs have also benefited from timely secondary scoring, from a go-ahead goal by Travis Dermott in Winnipeg on Thursday to a sensational set-up from Kasperi Kapanen to Pierre Engvall against the New York Islanders on Saturday. Knowing that offence can come from anywhere these days takes some of the pressure off the Leafs top point-getters, allowing them to play the game more freely.
“When you’ve got all four lines that can create offence, you just become that much harder to defend,” Tavares said. “You’re very confident that you're going to find your opportunities and find ways to break through so you're able to stay patient. You’re able to control the game and have good possession and defend well, knowing you don't have to press or count on one or two lines.”
READ MORE
https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-maple-le...d-edmonton-oilers-in-second-meeting-1.1422820

Last time Leafs met Oilers...

MAPLE LEAFS GAME DAY LINES
Zach Hyman Auston Matthews Mitch Marner
William Nylander John Tavares Alex Kerfoot
Pierre Engvall Jason Spezza Kasperi Kapanen
Mason Marchment Frederik Gauthier Timashov/Brooks

Morgan Rielly Tyson Barrie
Martin Marincin Justin Holl
Travis Dermott Cody Ceci

Frederik Andersen
Michael Hutchinson

SICK BAY
D Jake Muzzin (foot)
LW Andreas Johnsson (leg)
LW Trevor Moore (concussion)
RW/LW Ilya Mikheyev (wrist)

Last edited:

xsiej00

Mar 20, 2017
Kosice
Actually we are facing the best powerplay (29,6%). Better stay away from the box. Personally would like to see Brooks over Marchment on 4th.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
I hope Timashov plays. Thought he's been playing good, and he played very well vs the oilers last time.

Reactions: CelticDruid

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I missed out on seeing Gretzky and Lemieux live. Jagr I saw towards the later part of his 30s, and he left me in awe. Want to see McDavid live one day and take in all his speed and skill in person. Hope those in attendance tonight do so.

Guess I'll have 41 chances of that in a few years time when he becomes a Leaf. :nod:

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I missed out on seeing Gretzky and Lemieux live. Jagr I saw towards the later part of his 30s, and he left me in awe. Want to see McDavid live one day and take in all his speed and skill in person. Hope those in attendance tonight do so.

Guess I'll have 41 chances of that in a few years time when he becomes a Leaf. :nod:

I was lucky enough to see him 3 years ago the year they made the playoffs. That was the night it went to ot and kadri won it for us by stripping McDavid of the puck. Can confirm, he is fast as hell.

I remember seeing Kessel fly down the wing thinking he was fast. Made him look like a bum.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
I was lucky enough to see him 3 years ago the year they made the playoffs. That was the night it went to ot and kadri won it for us by stripping McDavid of the puck. Can confirm, he is fast as hell.

I remember seeing Kessel fly down the wing thinking he was fast. Made him look like a bum.

I remember Kessel winning the fastest skating contest during one of the All-Star games so if McDavid makes him look like a bum, he must make mostly everybody else look like what comes out of the bum.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Are you saying he's not a good player? Do we really prefer Timashov, Brooks or Marchment over Johnsson?

Yeah, it would be a huge boost actually.

No, I'm not saying that he's not a good player. I just don't see the boost really.
I don't see Johnsson as a player who is a good fit for the role timashov and marchment are playing
He's an upgrade on Brooks, when Brooks has played up the lineup, I'm just not convinced I guess that Johnsson being added changes much in our overall group

Matthews line is on fire
Tavares line is on fire
third line is playing really well as Engvall/Spezza/Kapanen

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
No, I'm not saying that he's not a good player. I just don't see the boost really.
I don't see Johnsson as a player who is a good fit for the role timashov and marchment are playing
He's an upgrade on Brooks, when Brooks has played up the lineup, I'm just not convinced I guess that Johnsson being added changes much in our overall group

Matthews line is on fire
Tavares line is on fire
third line is playing really well as Engvall/Spezza/Kapanen

He's a pretty good player and would likely give a pretty significant boost to our puck possession and scoring abilities.

I get that we're winning and everything is rosey but Johnsson would be a pretty significant upgrade over anything that Marchment and Timashov provide. Come on now. It's not even close and you know it.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He's a pretty good player and would likely give a pretty significant boost to our puck possession and scoring abilities.

I get that we're winning and everything is rosey but Johnsson would be a pretty significant upgrade and that's a good thing.

He IS a pretty good player, no argument. I don't want anyone to take this as me talking crap about Johnsson. He's a good player, and I like him. And who knows maybe, he gets added into that Tavares/Nylander line and they get even better, I'm just not sure how much better that line can be than it has been lately. Johnsson himself is a significant update on that wing, I just think the boost we get from him playing there might be much more modest, especially given he's just returning from injury

Actually wait... Kerfoot is there. Kerfoot/Johnsson are pretty close

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Wonder who goes against mcdavid/Draisaitl tonight? Matthews or tavares?

So, based on the practice lines it looks like McDavid and Drai will be on separate lines tonight, so if I had to guess I'm thinking Tavares get McDavid. Matthews gets Drai. We shall see though. Wouldn't be shocked if it's other way around.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
He IS a pretty good player, no argument. I don't want anyone to take this as me talking crap about Johnsson. He's a good player, and I like him. And who knows maybe, he gets added into that Tavares/Nylander line and they get even better, I'm just not sure how much better that line can be than it has been lately. Johnsson himself is a significant update on that wing, I just think the boost we get from him playing there might be much more modest, especially given he's just returning from injury

Having Kerfoot back on the third line and Spezza on the 4th line should provide a boost to those two lines as well. Brooks and Marchment go back to the Marlies.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If Johnsson is ready, he's likely joining Tavares and Nylander. That would push Kerfoot back to the 3C spot and provide more balance to the top 9.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
5 Things I Think I’d Do

Toronto Maple Leafs Notebook: Will this style of play work in the playoffs?

1. I think what we’re seeing out of Alex Kerfoot (playing with Tavares and Nylander) is something that many people said over the summer – he’s better on the wing than at center. He can use his speed a little bit more, is freed up a bit offensively because he doesn’t have to work defensively, and it definitely helps playing with linemates that can get him the puck the way John Tavares and William Nylander can. In nearly 80 minutes together at even strength, Tavares and Kerfoot have combined for 7 goals for, 1 against, and a corsi-for of over 59%.

I think acquiring a defenseman is obviously the most important thing the Leafs can do, but adding a depth center would be a nice move that allows Kerfoot to more permanently play on the wing. It doesn’t have to be a big name or anything over the top, but some sort of bottom-six center is somewhere between a nice-to-have and a need-to-have move.

I think calling up Rasmus Sandin only makes sense at this point if Jake Muzzin is going to be out for an extended period of time still or someone else gets hurt. Otherwise, he’s not really going to get in at this point over Rielly, Muzzin or Dermott when they are healthy. If a few more games of Marincin saves burning a year on Sandin’s ELC, that actually is worth it for this team. I think Sandin likely can play in the league at a decent level at this point, but he isn’t sliding right into the top four and the Leafs aren’t exactly in a spot where they can shrug at the financial impact of that move.

I think Michael Hutchinson is starting to make a case that he can be the backup for the rest of the season. I’m not convinced just yet, but he’s at least making it a conversation.

With only two games this week, I think it’s easy to give Frederik Andersen both starts, even though it’s two games in three days. The following week, the Leafs play four in seven games. The second game — at home against the New Jersey Devils — should likely be Hutchinson’s start again.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Wonder who goes against mcdavid/Draisaitl tonight? Matthews or tavares?

They have been on seperate lines since Yamamoto has been recalled. Looking forward to seeing some of the best players in the league tonight.

Good luck

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

Seen Gretzky and Lemieux various times. I have seen them both live together at Canada Cup in the 80's (1987). I have seen McDavid live 8 times now. Never seen anything like it actually
So when do u get your 41 chances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad