TSN: Oilers interested in Mike Smith

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm interested in seeing how they'll figure out the cap to add a guy like Smith+ Nyquist.

Reactions: Estlin

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I'm interested in seeing how they'll figure out the cap to add a guy like Smith+ Nyquist.

The goalie market is so over saturated if guys want to play they're going to have to take cuts and almost pitch themselves to teams. Look what happened to Mason and Lehtonen last year. I believe 3+ good goalies will be without jobs again this year just based on internal growth and cap crunch. I'm confident Smith will take a sweetheart deal where ever he goes if he signs.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The goalie market is so over saturated if guys want to play they're going to have to take cuts and almost pitch themselves to teams. Look what happened to Mason and Lehtonen last year. I believe 3+ good goalies will be without jobs again this year just based on internal growth and cap crunch. I'm confident Smith will take a sweetheart deal where ever he goes if he signs.

Bob& Lehner are the top guys but I doubt you get Smith on a minimun type contract.

Edmonton has 8M in cap space with 9 forwards and 1 goalie, not take away Russell(even more depth goes from the blueline) and you are looking at 12, Nyquist 6M+ Smith 3-4M and it's getting extremely tough to ice a full roster.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Connolly is more likely than Nyquist.

Zero interest in Smith, Holland will sign a UFA goalie so hopefully this is him just kicking tires.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Bob& Lehner are the top guys but I doubt you get Smith on a minimun type contract.

Edmonton has 8M in cap space with 9 forwards and 1 goalie, not take away Russell(even more depth goes from the blueline) and you are looking at 12, Nyquist 6M+ Smith 3-4M and it's getting extremely tough to ice a full roster.

I don't think Nyquist is coming here. It doesn't make sense without some major cap moves in Edmonton. It might be a lot of change quickly if Nyquist is signing.

I'd be curious to see him shore up the forwards. Nyquist and Connolly would really improve this team's forwards.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

After the season Smith had, you’d have to think he’d be cheap.

Yes he was the only reason the Flames didn’t get swept, but he’s not very good anymore.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
After the season Smith had, you’d have to think he’d be cheap.

Yes he was the only reason the Flames didn’t get swept, but he’s not very good anymore.

But if he is taking low dollar deal to be a backup why would he do it on the Oilers? Wouldn't he be more likely to give a discount to a playoff team?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
But if he is taking low dollar deal to be a backup why would he do it on the Oilers? Wouldn't he be more likely to give a discount to a playoff team?
On the oilers he has an okay chance to steal the starters job so maybe he wants to play more than being stuck behind a good starter

Reactions: nturn06

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
On the oilers he has an okay chance to steal the starters job so maybe he wants to play more than being stuck behind a good starter

If he's going to take a discount to be in a tandem I think a team like the Canes makes way more sense. Sounds like they won't be bringing back either of their goalies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Well, he wouldn’t have to uproot his family very far and he has a lot of familiarity with Tippett.

I more question why we would want him than the other way around.

I’d be very pleased if he went to the Canes. I think both Mrazek and McElhinney are better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seanaconda

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016

The Oilers already have replacement defencemen for Russell from Bakersfield. Bear, Jones & Lagesson have been developing in the AHL for a full year now. They can easily replace Russell internally.

The Oilers have a lot depth on d, just not in the top 4.
NHL:
Klefbom
Nurse
Sekera
Russell
Benning

NHL/AHL:
Bear
Jones
Lagesson
Persson

AHL:
Bouchard
Samorukov
Day

Broberg plays in the OHL.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
If he's going to take a discount to be in a tandem I think a team like the Canes makes way more sense. Sounds like they won't be bringing back either of their goalies.
Maybe he wants to stay in Alberta. I have no idea what his home life is like but it could be a factor. Ultimately we're just guessing at what their thinking.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Please no.

He seems like a terrible person, even if you judge him solely by how he wears a hat.

Reactions: Kolja

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad