Pre-Game Talk: Oilers in the SENS Den, Thurs 7:30 TSN | Cheap Beer Edition

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Just got back from the game, don't know how it looked on TV but Anderson looked terrible tonight, he couldn't stop anything, why didn't they pull him?

Good crowd tonight, must have been around 16,000 give or take, tons of Oiler fans. I guess McDavid is the new Crosby with the kids these days, lots of #97 jerseys.

Reactions: gab6511

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Just got back from the game, don't know how it looked on TV but Anderson looked terrible tonight, he couldn't stop anything, why didn't they pull him?

Good crowd tonight, must have been around 16,000 give or take, tons of Oiler fans. I guess McDavid is the new Crosby with the kids these days, lots of #97 jerseys.
I dare say that the number of Oilers jerseys rivaled blue team shirts when Toronto is in town. But the Oilers fans weren’t jerks.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Because let's face it, Condon wouldn't have been any better.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Some fans seem genuinely confused as to how Hoffman ends up in the doghouse of every coach for whom he plays. There's your answer. Any coach watching that goal, and that horse÷×@& effort, is guaranteed to pop a vein. Have some pride, man...

yeah, that was bad.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Some fans seem genuinely confused as to how Hoffman ends up in the doghouse of every coach for whom he plays. There's your answer. Any coach watching that goal, and that horse÷×@& effort, is guaranteed to pop a vein. Have some pride, man...
I find it stranger how people want to pretend Ryan is good defensively and isn't one of the weakest players around on the puck and boards. I find it easier to defend a guy like Hoffman in a 5-2 game who actually produces than a guy like Ryan who doesn't and still dogs it. That's just me. In the Ryan thread someone actually said they've never seen Ryan be lazy and weak, which is just nuts cause its just normal for him. I think Hoffman is lazy and weak but he's actually a top line guy so its so much easier to forgive. Ryan can be awful in all zones and people will still defend him. Its really bizarre.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Eh, I've seen worse over the years.

Maybe there have been worse, but that doesn’t excuse Hoffman’s effort on that play. Garbage effort. Get off the f***ing ice if you’re going to do that.

Maybe he really doesn’t want to go to Edmonton, and he thought that would sour them on him.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I haven't watched an entire game since the trade deadline...

I've pretty much watched the first period and a half of every game since the deadline.

The other half of those games, though... it's hard to stay emotionally invested in a team when you know it's in their best interest to lose games for the rest of the season. I understanding that losing is statistically the best thing for us right now, but watching it is hard, and quite frankly I have better things to do with my time once the games get to the point we were at in the 3rd period down 5-1.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I've pretty much watched the first period and a half of every game since the deadline.

The other half of those games, though... it's hard to stay emotionally invested in a team when you know it's in their best interest to lose games for the rest of the season. I understanding that losing is statistically the best thing for us right now, but watching it is hard, and quite frankly I have better things to do with my time once the games get to the point we were at in the 3rd period down 5-1.
"Fan"

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Oh good. Is this what we're going to do today? Fight?

I don't have time for internet dick-measuring bullshittery today. However you think this argument will go, just assume that you won it (because regardless of how it will go, you will have assumed you won it anyways regardless of what argument I present), and let's all save ourselves the time and the aggravation of a wasted day of back-and-forth bickering over literally nothing.

You're a better fan than I am because you spent an extra half hour watching a listless, directionless, shell of a team with literally nothing left to play for (and an effort level that reflects that) continue to lose, and somehow think you are a better fan because of it. Or are you a better fan because you simply had the luxury of free time to indulge yourself by continuing to watch after it was 5-1 halfway through the third period, while I had actual work I was actively putting off that needed to be done to watch the game instead, and decided that the remainder of the 3rd period would be better used to complete said work once the game was out of reach?

Regardless of reason, I must congratulate you on this hard fought victory this morning. Your trophy is in the mail, but your key to the city must be picked up at city hall, as I'm told they don't deliver.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Andy wasn't great but McDavid ate the young defensemen ie Chabot and Wolanin. You can see the bad of Hoffman on that last play too.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I find it stranger how people want to pretend Ryan is good defensively and isn't one of the weakest players around on the puck and boards. I find it easier to defend a guy like Hoffman in a 5-2 game who actually produces than a guy like Ryan who doesn't and still dogs it. That's just me. In the Ryan thread someone actually said they've never seen Ryan be lazy and weak, which is just nuts cause its just normal for him. I think Hoffman is lazy and weak but he's actually a top line guy so its so much easier to forgive. Ryan can be awful in all zones and people will still defend him. Its really bizarre.

This does not bode well for the team when the highest paid player & their best goal scorer are both seen by fans to be weak & lazy defensively. Add to that the goalies who have been terrible & the captain having a crappy season defensively too & you get one of the worse teams in the league. Is it the players who are not performing to expectations or is it the coach who can't seem to motivate them to be better? Or both?

Management IMO clearly seems to have taken the coaches side & wants to ship out some players if he can get the return he wants & get other teams to take on some bad contracts. Hoffman, Ryan & Karlsson have all been mentioned in trade rumours for a reason, I suspect. The goalies have not but they should be since they too have been so bad. We've also heard about troubles in the room this yr & maybe this is why because a few of these "star players" are not trying hard enough defensively & quitting on plays. They're not playing as a team but individuals who have lost their mojo & are just going through the actions at times or in some games. I'm always amazed at how weak mentally this team has been yr after yr & how easily it is for some of them to just give up or quit on plays. Hopefully, the next group of players to take over this team will have more jam to their game & be much tougher physically & mentally.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

I don't have time for internet dick-measuring bull****tery today. However you think this argument will go, just assume that you won it (because regardless of how it will go, you will have assumed you won it anyways regardless of what argument I present), and let's all save ourselves the time and the aggravation of a wasted day of back-and-forth bickering over literally nothing.

You're a better fan than I am because you spent an extra half hour watching a listless, directionless, shell of a team with literally nothing left to play for (and an effort level that reflects that) continue to lose, and somehow think you are a better fan because of it. Or are you a better fan because you simply had the luxury of free time to indulge yourself by continuing to watch after it was 5-1 halfway through the third period, while I had actual work I was actively putting off that needed to be done to watch the game instead, and decided that the remainder of the 3rd period would be better used to complete said work once the game was out of reach?

Regardless of reason, I must congratulate you on this hard fought victory this morning. Your trophy is in the mail, but your key to the city must be picked up at city hall, as I'm told they don't deliver.
Sorry, I was just joking. I checked out of the game around the 2nd period to grill a panini. Just making a joke around how a bunch of people here gauge other's fandom by how much money they invest in the team.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I don't have time for internet dick-measuring bull****tery today. However you think this argument will go, just assume that you won it (because regardless of how it will go, you will have assumed you won it anyways regardless of what argument I present), and let's all save ourselves the time and the aggravation of a wasted day of back-and-forth bickering over literally nothing.

I Might be wrong, but I thing he meant it as a joke poking fun at those who throw quotes around the word as opposed actually trying to be critical of your post...

Either way, it's pretty clear that the practice is clearly toxic

Reactions: BonkTastic

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

I think you fell for it ;)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Seriously. Doesn't look good on video but there were 2 lines of defence behind Hoff. A D who did nothing to prevent McDave from shooting, and a goalie who couldn't stop an easy shot five hole from the outside.

Yes. Ceci and Duchene were pylons right along with Hoffman on that one. 3 pylons on that play.

Reactions: Sensinitis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad