LeBrun: Oilers in on Nyquist/Donskoi/Connolly

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
LeBrun just dropped an Athletic article saying that on top of the widely reported interest in Connolly, Edmonton has also made inquiries about Nyquist and Donskoi.

I’d love to walk out of July 1st with two of those guys, but I’m not sure how we could realistically afford two.

Reactions: Seedling

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I absolutely do not believe the Oilers are a serious player on Nyquist.

The other 2? Sure.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Nyqvist is going to cost about 5.5M/yr on a 4+ year deal (a major discount compared to Kevin Hayes' deal).

I could absolutely see Holland pushing for him. I'm not sure it would be the wisest move, but I'm sure they're looking at it. He's been a pretty consistent 40-50 point player.

The Oilers can actually afford this type of signing, they'd just need to find a way to drop a D-man's 4M cap hit (Russell and Sekera being the obvious candidates).

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Donskoi and Connolly actually seem like perfect fits for the Oilers should be trying to accomplish. Goose is a nice piece, but will cost more and I'm not convinced he's head and shoulders better than the other two.

Reactions: Sensators

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think Donskoi is a good target for anyone looking to add help to the middle 6.

I feel like he had a pretty good season. Looked faster and stronger than before, and had some success in the top 6 playing with Hertl and Kane at one time when the Sharks were going through one of their hottest streaks of the year. Tailed off towards the end, but im not sure if there was some nagging injury bothering him. I feel like he could've produced more than he ultimately did.

In any case, with Donskoi you get a middle 6 winger capable of 30-40 points. His biggest issue has been inconsistency but that's something he's also acknowledged and works hard to correct.

I think getting out of SJ would be a good step. New opportunity, get out of that comfort zone. I do think Donskoi has potential for 50 points. And if he doesn't reach that, 30+ is still decent for a middle 6 forward who works hard like the typical Finn. His versatility is also nice, having played on pretty much every line in SJ. Doesn't complain.

I wouldn't hesitate to offer something in the 3-range. As soon as the Sharks signed EK, it meant Donskoi is pretty much out guaranteed unless they lose Labanc/Pavelski.

In Edmonton i could see him having chemistry with Draisaitl. Drai is a good finisher, Donskoi can cycle and has enough skill/speed to create chances. And the Double D's sound good.

But yeah what i like about him is whoever is getting him gets a really motivated player in his prime age. I do think Donskoi can become a bit of a late-bloomer. He didn't start taking the pro athlete life seriously until a couple years after being drafted.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Nyquist any way you can. Please and thank you. Instant playoff team.

Haha no. The oilers have many, many, many holes to fill. Nyquist will get overpaid, and we have enough anchors right now for contracts. If we have learned anything it’s stay away from contracts with term on July 1

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
We could absolutely afford Nyquist, and should be very interested... the trouble is after that we might as well pack up shop for the summer unless we're shipping money out somewhere.

Last bit is obviously key. Lots of teams looking to clear cap space, yet all the teams are in on Free Agency. It's an interesting off season.

Depending on what Nyqvist is after it might be tricky still. According to Capfriendly you guy s are at 8.33 left in cap, but with only 9 forwards and no backup goalie. Probably a 13th forward too. So lose probably 3 million on the depth guys, roughly a million minimum for a backup leaves you with 4.33 for Nyqvist (roughly).

Also extreme nitpicking on my part, but "interested in" and "in on" are two different things for the thread title.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
But do any of those players have an interest in playing in Edmonton?

Connolly’s agent was on Edmonton radio yesterday and waxed eloquent about the fit and the opportunity here. The other guys I’m not sure but Nyquist has history with Holland and Donskoi would be an idiot to not see a top six spot there for the taking

Last edited by a moderator:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Nyquist any way you can. Please and thank you. Instant playoff team.

I doubt Nyquist straight up makes them a playoff team.
Goaltending is a massive mystery, defense isn't top10 or anything on paper and the forward depth is really lacking still.
Better team for sure but not a quaranteed playoff team.

Anyways 9M in cap space with 8 forwards and 1 goalie, thinking Nyquist gets 6M that's going to be real tough even with Russell gone.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I doubt Nyquist straight up makes them a playoff team.
Goaltending is a massive mystery, defense isn't top10 or anything on paper and the forward depth is really lacking still.
Better team for sure but not a quaranteed playoff team.

Anyways 9M in cap space with 8 forwards and 1 goalie, thinking Nyquist gets 6M that's going to be real tough even with Russell gone.

Nurse has definitely improved and getting better.

Larsson bounces back

Bouchard helps the PP halfway through the season when he makes his debut.

Klefbom can only get better from last year( down year ), our defense core gets into the top 16 if barely.

Bringing in a 50 plus point man who can think the game well, and adds more hockey sense to our top 6 and isn't slow makes the Oilers better then lugging 10 point man Lucic around at 6 mill.

Goaltending yes is a question mark, but then again plenty of teams around the league have this issue going in every year.

Grab a decent bottom 6 forward for Puljujarvi or go after Burakovsky,

adding speed demon Nygard to improve team quickness and this team all of a sudden looks more capable

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Last bit is obviously key. Lots of teams looking to clear cap space, yet all the teams are in on Free Agency. It's an interesting off season.

Depending on what Nyqvist is after it might be tricky still. According to Capfriendly you guy s are at 8.33 left in cap, but with only 9 forwards and no backup goalie. Probably a 13th forward too. So lose probably 3 million on the depth guys, roughly a million minimum for a backup leaves you with 4.33 for Nyqvist (roughly).

Also extreme nitpicking on my part, but "interested in" and "in on" are two different things for the thread title.

Bank on Brandon Manning being buried, clearing up another million. I'd imagine Brodziak will be buried as well (he was horrawful last year) which would clear up another million.

Jujhar Khaira will be signed, but not to much more than what he's making now. Call him and Brodziak a saw off, salary wise.

Out of the necessity for cheap contracts I'd guess three Condors get promoted. Two forwards, one defenceman.

I think we see Russell traded this summer for picks/futures, maybe with a bit of retention.

Assuming we did sign one of Nyquist/Donskoi/Connolly, we'd probably be looking at something like this to start the year:

Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
Benson-RNH-Nyquist/Donskoi/Connolly
Lucic-Haas-Gagner
Nygard-Cave-Khaira
Gambardella/Currie/P. Russell/Carr/Ennis/Camp job winner/whatever

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Jones/Lagesson-Benning
Persson

Koskinen
Mrazek/McElhinney/Smith

I don't think it's a playoff team, but it's an upgrade over what we already have.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
The Oilers have never signed a free agent before because no one wants to play in Edmonton but there's always a first time.

Connolly’s agent was on Edmonton radio yesterday and waxed eloquent about the fit and the opportunity here. The other guys I’m not sure but Nyquist has history with Holland and Donskoi would be an idiot to not see a top six spot there for the taking

What I'm saying is that a UFA may consider more than money when choosing his destination. These players may see an organization (the Oilers) whose team is not ready to be competitive for a couple of years, at least, and that has cap problems and several holes in the lineup. In addition, who knows how Holland will do? His final years in Detroit did not inspire confidence. Furthermore, I don't think that the appeal of playing with McDavid trumps all those other concerns/questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad