Pre-Game Talk: Oilers hit the beach for Fall break in Ft Lauderdale vs the Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
From the smallest of mole hills....

...to the mightiest mountains of the Himalayas:

The game is going on, the team on the ice getting disemboweled, and J Schultz is munching potato chips with a grin and all the mirth of a kid in a movie snacking. (while the coach behind the bench would probably not approve of the dietary regimen)

While Taylor Hall is next to him texting/checking messages with complete detachment.

Maybe not symbolic, but not something I'd be be doing or would think is good taste at the time.

Eakins has several times stated that when he was ever an HS, or injured, he wouldn't be spending time up there munching popcorn, he would be paying attention to the game, taking notes, and learning something from watching.

T Hall, J Schultz not being particularly good students but then we already knew that.

Right.

A multimillionaire player the team has high expectations of and who has sucked so much he's practically HS is sitting up there eating potato chips DURING the few hours of employ a pro hockey team actually has, DESPITE a headcoach advocating a fitness and health regime and you don't think theres a problem? This is BLATANT disregard for what the headcoach is requiring from his players and a little shocking its happening at this place of employ and during the few business hours that there are.

lol that HNIC caught it. A camera crew felt it was interesting enough..

But then you're the same poster thinking its fine some players on a team go on a bender after getting blown out of their home rink once again. Apparently anything is fine. Just don't get arrested or anything.

The reason stuff like this bothers some fans is we pretty much realize how dialed in these players are.

At this point my Schadenfreude would pay to watch these players bag skated and barfing up snack food.

Fans are disgusted, reactions like this are going to occur. Unfortunately some of the star players on the club aren't having those reactions. I imagine Ference will have a few words with some of these guys.

It was hilarious J Schultz looked amused and like he didn't have a care in the world while his club was getting murdered on the ice.

A club that has been blown out 4 games in a row at home and outscored 17-2.

Not the least bit upsetting apparently. Too bad Shultz's detached grin didn't match the concern of everybody else in the building.

It is caption worthy.

You don't get what caring looks like, thats fine.

Glenn Hall threw up before every game. I realize that kind of caring is gone but when two players the club is tossing millions/year at look less concerned about a horrendous game then anybody sitting in the stands something is wrong.

The TV crew apparently thought enough of this as well to hilite it. I thought it was hilarious tbh.

The camera can pan on virtually any face in the crowd. A look of concern or disgust is etched on almost any face. All game. Although we know which faces don't have the slightest concern. Lets remember the context here is the worst couple of games EVER played by a homeside on Rexall ice. It isn't just another game.

How odd that I would expect the players to have even the level of engagement that most of the fans in the building would. But then they're not concerned about paying for tickets or parking or anything. They're getting paid countless millions for not having a care in the world. Rock on, what a gig.

Things I do know.

The team captain, Ference, disgusted in whats gone on with the team, with the attitudes, and calling out the lack of attention to detail on this club. A believer in dedication to fitness, 100% commitment himself.

A coach wanting the players to practice elite healthy regimen and one of his players sitting AT THE GAME munching on potato chips.

With the latter, heres the thing. When I was competitively training potato chips and junk food weren't in my diet, period, for well over a decade. or anybody else I would train with. I wasn't even a professional athlete, just dedicated. People that train to that degree or have had any experience with that know how much that junk food puts you off that game. Nobody seriously training stuffs junk food down their face and expects any great results.
Peak fitness is an all in or not complete to compete lifestyle.

you either get this or not.

I expect more out of professional highly paid athletes that are hired to be the best they can be.

Although I expect it wouldn not be hard to see some of these guys going out ordering pizza and drinking beer.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Have no idea why it matters Schultz was eating chips and Hall was texting. Absolutely arbitrary to any problems with the team.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Have no idea why it matters Schultz was eating chips and Hall was texting. Absolutely arbitrary to anything problems with the team.

They also probably laugh at dirty jokes, flirt with girls, swear, play video games, drive over the speed limit, forget to wash their hands before dinner and hit the snooze button...just like the rest of us

What they should be doing is moping around after every game and sitting in their rooms, grounded due to their terrible play...at least according to some

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Man you know things are bad for a team when a PGT has gone 3 pages and no one has yet made fun of the Panthers. As a Panthers fan, I think we can all agree that even though one of these teams has to win tomorrow, we both still lose in the long run.
If I was going to place a bet on this game I'd be betting on your team. That's how bad things are going for Oilers are right now. No time to worry about the Panthers problems.

doggone

Nov 4, 2013
The game is going on, the team on the ice getting disemboweled, and J Schultz is munching potato chips with a grin and all the mirth of a kid in a movie snacking. (while the coach behind the bench would probably not approve of the dietary regimen)

While Taylor Hall is next to him texting/checking messages with complete detachment.

Maybe not symbolic, but not something I'd be be doing or would think is good taste at the time.

Eakins has several times stated that when he was ever an HS, or injured, he wouldn't be spending time up there munching popcorn, he would be paying attention to the game, taking notes, and learning something from watching.

T Hall, J Schultz not being particularly good students but then we already knew that.
all those notes Eakins took sure did him lots of good...

TimeForAnOilChange

From OTTERS 2 OILERS
May 4, 2010
Made by MacTambLowe
should rename all the GDT's to "RIP 2013-14 Season, We Hardly Knew Ye"

and to those who are actually still watching (i'm not, but to those who can still stomach this gong show), here is a pick me up tune by Rob Zombie...

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
LOL. Who cares about Schultz snacking on chips or Hall checking his phone? There's nitpicking and there's being insane, and criticizing these guys for this is insane!

Did anyone even consider that they only cut to Hall and Schultz between plays? What are they supposed to do? Stare intently at the ice at all times even when they're between plays? Should they pull out a telescope and examine the ice during intermission? Clearly these guys are just obsessed with stuffing chips into their face and can't stop staring at their phones. Messier has clearly got to Schultz, poor kid is living off Lays potato chips now.

There's lots to criticize but this is too much.

Jul 19, 2012
Enough already, it's water under the bridge.

Edm lines sound like

Hemsky RNH Eberle (line voted most easiest to push around in the league)
Smyth Gagner Yakapov (a defensive nightmare)
Jones Gordon Arcobello (do we not have a more sizable AHL winger? He is useless here)
Gazdic Acton Eager (the most useless 4th line in hockey)

D
Petry Smid
N Schultz Ference
Fedun Larsen
(Not one of these guys strikes fear into the opponent)

G - Dubnyk.

Score 3-2 Fla Shootout in a snooze fest
Scores for the rest of the road trip
TB 7 Oilers 3
Phi 5 Oilers 2 and 3 more Oilers injured as the Flyers beat the gawd out of us
Chi 6 Oilers 1

Entire coaching staff canned, Lowe canned, MacT kept on. Brings in Messier to coach. Coffey and Anderson assistant coaches. Katz appoints his kid as President Hockey Ops.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
This is what you're mad about?

XopbzdO.gif

AF83upP.gif

It's too bad about the obstruction... could've been perfect.

I am disconcerted that a couple Oilers are sitting up there with not a care in the world. Not to mention Schultz chowing down on chips right at the game he's getting paid to be at.

Not sure why people can't get even that part. The org is telling the players to live healthy, they clearly want to eliminate junk food, they've made that statement often and even as it pertains to media, that they want the org to emulate healthy eating, living, exercise etc. and heres a lame ass that apparently doesn't pay attention to anything munching junk food right at the game. As long as coach isn't looking eh?

OK, but anyway, I guess no reason to have any concern that two players at the game could give a **** whats happening to the team down on the ice and with Schultz looking relaxed and happy about it. I must not understand milennials well. Apparently this is what you do when the org you're working for and getting paid by is going right down the toilet. Just munch out wondering if you can switch the game to a cartoon..or if theres anything else on..

Again I wouldn't be saying much of anything if this wasn't happening during the worst home game in the history of the franchise. Too much to expect them to even look shocked, concerned, hell, I'll even take uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
I am disconcerted that a couple Oilers are sitting up there with not a care in the world. Not to mention Schultz chowing down on chips right at the game he's getting paid to be at.

Not sure why people can't get even that part. The org is telling the players to live healthy, they clearly want to eliminate junk food, they've made that often and even as it pertains to media, that they want the org to emulate healthy eating, living, exercise etc. and heres a lame ass that apparently doesn't pay attention to anything munching junk food at the game.

OK, but anyway, I guess no reason to have any concern that two players at the game could give a **** whats happening to the team down on the ice and with Schultz looking relaxed and happy about it. I must not understand milennials well. Apparently this is what you do when the org you're working for and getting paid by is going right down the toilet. Just munch out wondering if you can switch the game to a cartoon..or if theres anything else on..

Again I wouldn't be saying much of anything if this wasn't happening during the worst home game in the history of the franchise. Too much to expect them to even look shocked, concerned, he;;, I'll even take uncomfortable.

They should be seething mad, tossing chairs in the press box!

doggone

Nov 4, 2013
Have no idea why it matters Schultz was eating chips and Hall was texting. Absolutely arbitrary to any problems with the team.

kudos to you sir armand01...the know it all Replacement hit HR's in several softball games don't you know. He is qualified therefore to tell anyone including professional athletes how to pass commercial breaks in "try hard" fashion. Dude needs to seriously take some time off from "team activities". While we can appreciate your enthusiasm as an Oiler fan but me thinks you can get carried away a bit at times. This being one of those times.
I would have rather Schultz picked the higher calorie All Dressed chips. Replacement is spot on there...kid needs to get bigger for sure.
Just joined and hope the guys can turn it around...ads here are BS by the way

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
People upset at our players regimes off ice need to relax. These kids are dumb as door knobs, they will continue to do dumb stuff daily off ice, you can't just microanalyze everything and expect to remain sane. Replacement, did you know that in Hall's rookie season his staple dinner was Kraft Dinner? Hall and Schultz's should know by now, so I leave their diet to them.

Popcorn is not an issue. The real concern is their attitude on ice and if their producing results.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
They should be seething mad, tossing chairs in the press box!

Being mad would be a start. Lets see if the country club will ever have any of that going on behind closed doors.

Mind you these two would be a focal point of it on any half decent club with expectations. Good thing this isn't one.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Being mad would be a start. Lets see if the country club will ever have any of that going on behind closed doors.

Mind you these two would be a focal point of it on any half decent club with expectations. Good thing this isn't one.

Not only tossing chairs IN the press box... Tossing chairs OFF the press box.

That'll teach the fans to boo!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
People upset at our players regimes off ice need to relax. These kids are dumb as door knobs, they will continue to do dumb stuff daily off ice, you can't just microanalyze everything and expect to remain sane. Replacement, did you know that in Hall's rookie season his staple dinner was Kraft Dinner?

Popcorn is not an issue. The real concern is their attitude on ice and if their producing results.

meh,

Its just an expression of frustration over the club and particularly their efforts on home ice. That and I brokedown and bought some tickets this year to see this sorry ass club.

I like to get some rants out of my system now and again. Sometimes people like em, sometimes not.

lol at the bolded. Why am I not surprised at all. :amazed:

I have high expectations, I'm the fan of the wrong clubs..:laugh:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Not only tossing chairs IN the press box... Tossing chairs OFF the press box.

That'll teach the fans to boo!

Tossing chairs around in the dressingroom I wouldn't be entirely opposed to at this point. Hey maybe even a few medicine balls. get these suckers to exercise without realizing it..

Mind you on this club it would probably result in 5 longterm injuries..

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
meh,

Its just an expression of frustration over the club and particularly their efforts on home ice. That and I brokedown and bought some tickets this year to see this sorry ass club.

I like to get some rants out of my system now and again. Sometimes people like em, sometimes not.

lol at the bolded. Why am I not surprised at all. :amazed:

I have high expectations, I'm the fan of the wrong clubs..:laugh:

I know how you feel, it pissed me off a bit seeing Schultz stuffing his dumb face with some chips/popcorn/whatever.
However to me it's not a prime concern, I couldn't care less if all our players looked like Big Buff or Phil Kessel, I just want to see their heads in the game.

Last edited:

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Tossing chairs around in the dressingroom I wouldn't be entirely opposed to at this point. Hey maybe even a few medicine balls. get these suckers to exercise without realizing it..

Mind you on this club it would probably result in 5 longterm injuries..

They should be doin' squatz, eatin' oats and gettin' swole, bro.

RKD

Jul 27, 2006
Calgary
www.twitter.com
Not that it matters, because I find this discussion to be on the ridiculous side, but he's eating popcorn. And a tiny bit at that, after a day of practice and working out.

Yeesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad