Pre-Game Talk: Oilers Hawks Game 2

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Dear Dave

You had the best line in hockey with the DRY line.
You have the best player in hockey with McDavid who elevates the play of anyone he plays with and can win games by himself.
You put a proven playoff goal scorer on the 4th line with a center who has the confidence of a teenager with braces and an acne problem at his first dance.
You barely played a player who is arguably as fast as McDavid who we gave up 2 2nd round picks for to play with McDavid.
Your playing 2 small wingers in the playoffs with Leon and wonder why that line couldn’t cycle the puck to the top point producer in the league.
You sat two of your fastest players while we got skated into the ground.
You had a bottom pair without a puck mover.
Your gut goaltending decision was a massive fail.
You have to change the lines and goaltender for Game 2 or it’s over.

AA McDavid Neal
RNH Draisatl HB
Nygard Sheahan Archibald
Chaisson Haas Kassian
Get Jones on the bottom pair with Russell
Koskinen in net

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Big win boys. I don’t think many people predicted a sweep. First loss was a tough one but Oilers in 4.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Here are some advanced stats in the form of a pie chart:

ZomboMeme 02082020015123.jpg

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Dear Dave

You have the best player in hockey with McDavid who elevates the play of anyone he plays with and can win games by himself.
You put a proven playoff goal scorer on the 4th line with a center who has the confidence of a teenager with braces and an acne problem at his first dance.
You barely played a player who is arguably as fast as McDavid who we gave up 2 2nd round picks for to play with McDavid.
Your playing 2 small wingers in the playoffs with Leon and wonder why that line couldn’t cycle the puck to the top point producer in the league.

AA McDavid Neal
RNH Draisatl HB
Nygard Sheahan Archibald
Chaisson Haas Kassian
Koskinen in net

Thank you for posting this on my behalf. Perfect summary. Khaira is a decent pk who is otherwise useless. Benning just gives me fits.

Njfj

Feb 14, 2015
Smith taking a lot of heat. The first goal aside make the argument the other goals were on him.

2 tip-ins
Toews left alone in the slot

Edit - 4th goal McDavid gives the puck away behind the net and the D can’t pick up Toews before Kubalik Centers the puck.

Reactions: Mez

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Smith taking a lot of heat. The first goal aside make the argument the other goals were on him.

2 tip-ins
First goal aside? We all saw it coming, why should he get a pass for that. I still remember game 2 where Smith handling the puck gave the Kings 2 unnecessary goals. This is the playoffs, we cant afford for that to happen. The other goals I agree with, the players left him hanging but a save here and there would have been nice and would have instilled more confidence in me and clearly many others. Play Koskinen for the qualifyers and if we make it to the next round then we should *maybe* try Smith because we have more games to play.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Dear Dave

AA McDavid Neal
RNH Draisatl HB
Nygard Sheahan Archibald
Chaisson Haas Kassian
Koskinen in net
Well said

we lose this, say goodbye.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Tippett was the most unprepared member of the organization for game one. Smith's career playoff SVP is meaningless today. He is over the hill and clearly not as consistent as Koskinen. I would like to see Jones and Haas in. Benning and Khaira sitting. Wouldn't hate seeing Nygaard in for AA either, but willing to give it one more game. Also not affraid to swap Kassian for Archibald or Chiasson if he dogs it.

Ennis-McDavid-Kassian
RNH-Leon-Yam
AA-Sheahan-Archibald
Neal-Haas-Chiasson

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Honestly, I'll be happy if they just put in some effort and don't get embarassed. The bar has been lowered so maybe that will play to their advantage. They are no longer the favorite but rather a laughing stock.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
First goal aside? We all saw it coming, why should he get a pass for that. I still remember game 2 where Smith handling the puck gave the Kings 2 unnecessary goals. This is the playoffs, we cant afford for that to happen. The other goals I agree with, the players left him hanging but a save here and there would have been nice and would have instilled more confidence in me and clearly many others. Play Koskinen for the qualifyers and if we make it to the next round then we should *maybe* try Smith because we have more games to play.

The Kubalik one timer wasn't a good goal. Smith was practically on his goal line for a 30ft shot.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

2 tip-ins

Edit - 4th goal McDavid gives the puck away behind the net and the D can’t pick up Toews before Kubalik Centers the puck.
Interesting that Koskinen didn’t let in 5.... against the same squad? Did a fairy stop the pucks?

Reactions: fresh meat

Njfj

Feb 14, 2015
Interesting that Koskinen didn’t let in 5.... against the same squad? Did a fairy stop the pucks?

I get needing a scapegoat. You can rewatch all of the goals on nhl.com

goal 1 - Smith
goal 2 - PK unit all collapsing on Kane in the corner
goal 3 - tip-in
goal 4 - McDavid
goal 5 - a save would have been nice but incredible. That Kubalik shot was hammered and placed top shelf.

Reactions: Messrules11

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
The Kubalik one timer wasn't a good goal. Smith was practically on his goal line for a 30ft shot.
I was avoiding watching the highlights but yeah first goal was all on smith, 2nd on the team giving all the time in the world for toews, third goal was good deflection on maata’s shot, 4th goal klefbom was puck watching and left Kubalik all alone in front of Smith, yeah Kubalik’s second goal he gave himself no opportunity to make that save, he would have dislocated his shoulder if he wanted to grab that puck.

It was a mixture of both the players failing in front of him and Smith swimming around but he was shaky from puck drop. I have no clue why after the 4th goal he was still on just to maybe instill more confidence in the players.

He hasn't noticed yet how his players start scrambling and panicking when Smith goes into his erratic idiot mode? Not sure he's right that the players have equal confidence in Smith. I'm sure they love him as a person, but their play in front of him shows the real story.

Yeah I remember throughout the season the players would play an overall more calm game win or lose in front of Koskinen. With respect to Smith, while good I don’t think the players played the same way in front of him. I remember reading posts here that confirmed my line of thinking a while ago as well. It’s all good, game 2 is do or die and I think they get their heads out of their asses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Koskinen would have let those goals in as well, they were rockets upstairs, not Koskinen’s specialty. We have a young core and aging goalies, not a good mix.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Off the draw. No goalie within 2 seconds of puck drop is coming out to challenge the shot.

Agree to disagree. Smith was slow to react in my view. Doesn't mean I'm right. I think we can both agree he didn't make a single big save.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Koskinen would have let those goals in as well, they were rockets upstairs, not Koskinen’s specialty. We have a young core and aging goalies, not a good mix.
Smith may be the better goalie but the team plays better in front of Koskinen.

As the guy signed up long term and looking solid in exhibition he should have started. Smith has lost to the Hawks multiple times this season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->