Oilers Have a Winning Record/Even Vs. East For 4 Years Running

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just kinda noticed this, but the Oilers have a winning/even record vs. the East for 4 seasons straight. It might be more than that.

11-12 season
7-6-3 record

12-13 season (no games vs. East/lockout season)
N/A

13-14 season
14-14-4 record

14-15 season
15-14-3 record

15-16 season
17-15 record

We are soooo in the wrong conference, lol. The funny thing is the bulk of the complaining about the Oilers and the lottery on this board seems to come from Eastern Conference fans ... don't want the Oilers to win the lottery ... here's a solution ... move them to the East :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The Stanley Cup Final will be a cakewalk if the Oilers ever get into the playoffs.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Just kinda noticed this, but the Oilers have a winning/even record vs. the East for 4 seasons straight. It might be more than that.

11-12 season
7-6-3 record

N/A

13-14 season
14-14-4 record

14-15 season
15-14-3 record

15-16 season
17-15 record

We are soooo in the wrong conference, lol. The funny thing is the bulk of the complaining about the Oilers and the lottery on this board seems to come from Eastern Conference fans ... don't want the Oilers to win the lottery ... here's a solution ... move them to the East :sarcasm:

I kinda like living in the west

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
This adds credence to my theory that Toronto is way worse than we are, moreso than the standings indicate.

SCIENCE!

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm sure there are a few factors to it, but it is a decent indication that the Eastern Conference just isn't as good as the West.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
East is a god damn joke. Id give my left nut to be in that conference. The style of play is all offense no defense. Even when the Oilers lose vs East teams its a close loss

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
This adds credence to my theory that Toronto is way worse than we are, moreso than the standings indicate.

SCIENCE!

Agree, Also the Caps are not the best team in Hockey. Put the Kings, Blues, Ducks, Hawks and maybe even SJ and Dallas in the East and they would be well in front of every one else.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Agree, Also the Caps are not the best team in Hockey. Put the Kings, Blues, Ducks, Hawks and maybe even SJ and Dallas in the East and they would be well in front of every one else.

I agree, put any of those teams in East and theyd dominate. i think those big west teams are built too much for West right now and would have to adjust a bit if thye played more in East. Probably get some more skill

But yeah a team like Buffalo or Toronto is sitting comfortably in East. If they were in West theyd be horrendous

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005

11-12 season
7-6-3 record

N/A

13-14 season
14-14-4 record

14-15 season
15-14-3 record

15-16 season
17-15 record

How good is that really, though? A game or two over .500 puts you solidly in 22nd in the entire NHL.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I always see the difference as:
- The East thinks the Oilers are a ****** team that you can beat easily. Hey, it will be a fun game and we get to win.
- The West knows the Oilers are a dumb team that will beat itself when given an opportunity. Hey, it will be a boring game but we get to win and not consume too much energy.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
East have improved somewhat as a conference this year but so have the Oilers. At least in the East now there are a handful of clubs that play fairly sound 200ft hockey.
This has been a rarity in the EC.
That Montreal was considered as recently as a year ago to be one of the best clubs in the EC is testimony to how much of a joke that conference was as recently as last year.

But I think a number of EC clubs have had a wake up call and that they need to be doing a lot more to play an all round game. EC play has improved.

That said WC getting stronger as well.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
How good is that really, though? A game or two over .500 puts you solidly in 22nd in the entire NHL.

Just crunched the numbers. The 4yrs combined prorate to 85pts on an 82 game season. Around more than 20pts that this team has averaged in that span and moving it from outlier bad to part of normal curve distribution. In terms of Rank ordinal change might not be all that different but in terms of differentiation around mean it would be huge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad