Post-Game Talk: Oilers Getting Cocky

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Off the top of my head it was 1988 and Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier this late in a season.

edit, wrong, guess it was just 2 seasons ago.

I didn't think Leons 77pts that season got him top ten. Wow, scoring has sure gone up in the league since then.
Got a bonus for it. Snatched it away from Eichel in the final game of the season. He wasn’t happy about it.:laugh:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Minny sure looked bad. They just let guys walk by them. In their own end they were closer to the puck a lot, but didn't even try go for it.

It was like we were wearing Minny jerseys

Good call on Talbot. Guy showed he was mad and went back and played like a guy that had to play for something.

Do like that Hitch was off the bench longer than Russell. Gotta love the NHL concussion protocol.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I didn't quote "in this bubble of a city". That was my interpretation. "Fishbowl that is pro sports pretty much anywhere". Ya no, Edmonton is a fishbowl where we can follow their lives because it's a smaller city compared to any other NHL city. it's a metaphor. Definitely not anywhere

Why make an interpretation that purposely casts the rising star player in a poor purview. The reader is left to wonder from your posts at what Darnell stated and how bad it was. You make it sound as if Nurse was blatantly disrespectful of the city. That's what one is left with after your posts. Fortunately we have the actual interview to compare it to, and viewing that leaves one with an entirely different impression than you had.

Lets Embrace and Celebrate instead that Darnell Nurse is on a months long run of being a near elite D producer, supporting offense, making plays, being an integral part of the PP, etc.

Last edited:

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Because realistically in an 82 game schedule you don't get that level of play every game from everybody. Oilers treating this like a playoff game and had more intensity than Minny, who started slow and felt their way into the game. This was mostly a product of a team that had to win vs one that figured they didn't need the pts. But you can only get this kind of outworking the other team maybe 20 times a year.

Trouble is the Oilers don't win other ways due to a lack of scoring depth and run support.

Even in this game everything that happened is based around the Oilers top 3 forwards. Nobody else really factors, ever really. I say this despite Khaira, Kass having big games. They just don't add much on the scoresheet.

I know that playing with playoff intensity in the regular season can't happen for more than a handful of games, but the parts I watched they simply looked like they played better in ways that weren't related to effort - more crisp passing, less dumb turnovers. Looked improved mentally and more focused.

My question was more, why aren't they focused in the other games.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Game of inches, so much parity in this league.

You could say 1 win in last 7 games, or you could say got points in 3 of last 4 games.

Tough task tomorrow, but if, and its a big if, we can win against the Sharks, things are looking up.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Minny sure looked bad. They just let guys walk by them. In their own end they were closer to the puck a lot, but didn't even try go for it.

It was like we were wearing Minny jerseys

Good call on Talbot. Guy showed he was mad and went back and played like a guy that had to play for something.

Do like that Hitch was off the bench longer than Russell. Gotta love the NHL concussion protocol.

Minny is an extremely bipolar club. You never know which version you are getting. Two of the Oilers goals were pure gifts. One on a really stinky goal that Dubnyk let in. (he still seems to do that more than other high calibre goalies) another on a horrendous misplay by Zucker who got stripped in NZ on an easy dump in opportunity while his team was changing lines. These were AWFUL misplays. You can't make 2 mistakes in a game that bad that result in GA and expect to win. Those were the difference.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I know that playing with playoff intensity in the regular season can't happen for more than a handful of games, but the parts I watched they simply looked like they played better in ways that weren't related to effort - more crisp passing, less dumb turnovers. Looked improved mentally and more focused.

My question was more, why aren't they focused in the other games.

Nah, the puck battle level last night by the Oil was very intense. Especially around the Oiler net it was a warzone. Its energy expended, and as much as anybody wants it games like that don't occur in regular season every night. They don't even occur anymore in every game in playoffs. With players getting stronger, harder to play against physical expenditure increases. The amount of battle required in hockey has drastically increased, but conversely the amount of games has stayed the same. This favors clubs that have deeper lineups or that can win with speed vs muscle. The Oilers are stuck in the same current no mans land as the LA Kings. A big team that extends a lot of effort to win games. Kings have to dominate an opponent to win. They can only do that so many times. Same thing with this current Oilers roster.

Look at Khaira for instance. Shifts in opponent end where it looks as his life depends on maintaining puck and using puck possession as a defensive tactic. But you won't see that every night. The Oilers were particularly engaged in this one. They've shown they can play around 3 games in a row like this. Then they are back to being taxed. The usable roster here is far too thin.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Minny is an extremely bipolar club. You never know which version you are getting. Two of the Oilers goals were pure gifts. One on a really stinky goal that Dubnyk let in. (he still seems to do that more than other high calibre goalies) another on a horrendous misplay by Zucker who got stripped in NZ on an easy dump in opportunity while his team was changing lines. These were AWFUL misplays. You can't make 2 mistakes in a game that bad that result in GA and expect to win. Those were the difference.
We usually make numerous mistakes like that a game.

We've also had teams make those mistakes against us in the past, but we never would capitalize. Team really needed that one last night

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Thank God all the wildcard teams out west are horrible. It's great fortune the Oil are still in the mix but this window will close up quick if a couple teams get hot. Seems now that Blues and Hawks are favorites. Gotta muscle one out

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Oilers win and only (barely) 2 page PGT so far.
Hfoil not happy

I think most people are resigned to the fate of the team.

Missed the game last night but it sounds like there were some positives namely Talbot so enjoy the win while we can because the next one might not come for a while.

Oct 15, 2008
Game of inches, so much parity in this league.

You could say 1 win in last 7 games, or you could say got points in 3 of last 4 games.

Tough task tomorrow, but if, and its a big if, we can win against the Sharks, things are looking up.
Boob Stuffer reveals himself.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Why make an interpretation that purposely casts the rising star player in a poor purview. The reader is left to wonder from your posts at what Darnell stated and how bad it was. You make it sound as if Nurse was blatantly disrespectful of the city. That's what one is left with after your posts. Fortunately we have the actual interview to compare it to, and viewing that leaves one with an entirely different impression than you had.

Lets Embrace and Celebrate instead that Darnell Nurse is on a months long run of being a near elite D producer, supporting offense, making plays, being an integral part of the PP, etc.

Fair enough, I do love Darnell Nurse, jumped the gun on quick judgement
Well said

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
I'm concerned that you know how to photoshop but don't know how to screenshot:huh:

Just a dumb trend in the design community where you take a pic of your laptop when your design is still a work in progress (or even finalized which is dumber).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad