Post-Game Talk: Oilers Getting Cocky

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Consistency is hard when confidence is low.
Confidence is a load of BS.
If you're in the NHL there are fewer than 1,000 people in the world that play hockey as well as you do.
According to the IIHF there are more than 1.4 million hockey players in the world.
If you have confidence issues playing in the NHL, what should the other 0.007% of the hockeys players in the world do to get over their massive failures in life?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
We won the battles in the important parts of the ice all night long. That’s how you win.

Maybe. We also allowed some great chances against and our goalie came up big and bailed the team out, while Dubs gave us some gifts. It was basically just one goalie stealing and one giving away. Feels good to win and since we did it's easy to say we won the important battles, but you have your 18 skaters play exactly the same every night, and I doubt over the long term you win more than you lose in this league.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Why can't that team show up every game?

Because realistically in an 82 game schedule you don't get that level of play every game from everybody. Oilers treating this like a playoff game and had more intensity than Minny, who started slow and felt their way into the game. This was mostly a product of a team that had to win vs one that figured they didn't need the pts. But you can only get this kind of outworking the other team maybe 20 times a year.

Trouble is the Oilers don't win other ways due to a lack of scoring depth and run support.

Even in this game everything that happened is based around the Oilers top 3 forwards. Nobody else really factors, ever really. I say this despite Khaira, Kass having big games. They just don't add much on the scoresheet.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Maybe. We also allowed some great chances against and our goalie came up big and bailed the team out, while Dubs gave us some gifts. It was basically just one goalie stealing and one giving away. Feels good to win and since we did it's easy to say we won the important battles, but you have your 18 skaters play exactly the same every night, and I doubt over the long term you win more than you lose in this league.

Yeah, Talbot was solid, played an excellent game and didn't give the Wild anything, or much to shoot at. He made one error all game. Pretty solid performance. He made a lot of good plays and stops. Talbot puck handling also much better (generally) than it used to be.

What I like about him is how hard he continually works on his game. He was miles better than Dubnyk tonight.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
Solid game in my opinion.

1. It was clear that offensive possession time was the strategy when they went up. The Oilers executed this strategy well, particularly the Nuge and Khaira lines.

2. Brad Malone made two big mistakes in the first and got away with a penalty in the second. I'm not a fan and think we need a replacement.

3. Cave looks like a younger version of Brodziak. I have no problems with him winning faceoffs as the 4C.

4. Can we please just run Manning and Gravel as our bottom pairing? I cannot understand why Hitch can't see how terrible Benning is.

5. It's so much more calm with Klef back - we missed him sorely...I think Larsson looks so much better with Klef.

6. Loving that set play on the PP with Leon going backhand to forehand in the slot. This kid is a player and is going to be a bargain for the majority of his contract.

7. Great bounce back game by Talbot... Played really well. I was really anxious for the first 8 minutes to see what would happen on the first shot though.

8. Rattie with a great game - I think he meshes well with McDavid

Reactions: Kolja

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Glad we won but that second period was f ugly. Can't rely on goaltending forever. And can somebody just get the puck on net for a dirty goal rather than pass it around the perimeter?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
If you're in the NHL there are fewer than 1,000 people in the world that play hockey as well as you do.
According to the IIHF there are more than 1.4 million hockey players in the world.
If you have confidence issues playing in the NHL, what should the other 0.007% of the hockeys players in the world do to get over their massive failures in life?

Saying players can't lose confidence in their games? Think it happens all the time. Did you see Fleury in net for the Pens for like 5 straight playoffs crawling around like a baby in the net? :) Guy had to see a sports psychologist for some years to finally get it together again.

Lots of these guys are in the NHL because of talent, hardwork and usually because they destroyed everyone on the way to making the NHL. Once you get there though, it's the toughest league in the world. Lots of guys have their confidence swinging up and down while they play and win and lose against the best. They're still human. Bad thoughts and doubts can still get in their heads.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton

Just because you're better than the majority doesn't mean you can't have confidence issues.

Obviously it's not in the same ballpark, but I'm currently a top 3 ish player in western canada in a competitive video game, but still drop matches due to confidence issues.

I can be playing someone who just walked on, but if they get lucky even once, you can start to overcompensate, or overthink the mistake you made which can lead to playing absolutely terrible. Things that you were doing before then with ease start to feel more difficult because of one mistake you can't get out of your head.

Now this is mostly for fun, and prize pools are in the hundreds, I can only imagine how rough it would be to make such a mistake when it's your job and your future rides on you being able to eliminate those mistakes.

Talbot letting in 1 weak goal to start the game almost certainly plays with his head and hurts his confidence, especially when he's done it so often. I think a major part of these early goals is him overthinking not allowing a goal in the first few minutes, and then when it does, he has trouble recovering mentally.

People will say "oh toughen up, forget it happened, get over it, etc". But no amount of outside encouragement can completely eliminate self doubt.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Don't usually dislike the Wild; however, their announcers really had me cheering for a decisive victory. Wes Walz with the "call of the game" saying that McDavid only passes to his buddies.

Reactions: Del Preston

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Draisaitl tells Rieder; Scoring ain't no thing, scoring be easy..

UniqueNippyGoat-small.gif

Big German tank leads the Edmonton Oilers in scoring.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Congrats on displaying your lack of knowledge of sports.

Reactions: nally

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Gotta say it too. Zucker, aside from his braindead hit on Russell made one of the worst hockey plays I've seen this season. He has all kinds of time to get to a loose puck at our blueline, skates casually into it, doesn't get the dump in, Lucic strips him, puck going up ice and Wild caught changing line sand Nuge passes to Rattie for the easy goal. 2-0 Oilers, all Zucker, all day. What an awful play by him. Should be stapled to the bench after weak ass play like that.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Gotta say it too. Zucker, aside from his braindead hit on Russell made one of the worst hockey plays I've seen this season. He has all kinds of time to get to a loose puck at our blueline, skates casually into it, doesn't get the dump in, Lucic strips him, puck going up ice and Wild caught changing line sand Nuge passes to Rattie for the easy goal. 2-0 Oilers, all Zucker, all day. What an awful play by him. Should be stapled to the bench after weak ass play like that.
You try telling that to a guy who trains MMA in the off-season :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad