Oilers, Flames and Canucks moving their AHL teams to Canada for 2020-21

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Sad for local fans, but can't say that I'm surprised. Fully expecting the AHL to follow the NHL's rumored example if they make a Canada division next season.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I doubt Abbotsford would want the Heat back. Stockton certainly doesn't after they ruined hockey here.

Surrey is talking about building a 10,000 seat arena.

AHL-wise, Abbotsford wouldn't accept anything other than Vancouver's affiliate.

Surrey just spent $52mil on an ice skating complex, unlikely they're going to drop money on an oversized arena.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Sad for local fans, but can't say that I'm surprised. Fully expecting the AHL to follow the NHL's rumored example if they make a Canada division next season.

Saw a story somewhere that said there might be an end to the border being closed...instead of a 14 day quarentine, there is some type of advancement on a rapid test that could be used in airports. Thus eliminating the need for the 14 day period etc. Again can't remember where I saw it but it made reference to sports teams that would have to travel back and forth.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Saw a story somewhere that said there might be an end to the border being closed...instead of a 14 day quarentine, there is some type of advancement on a rapid test that could be used in airports. Thus eliminating the need for the 14 day period etc. Again can't remember where I saw it but it made reference to sports teams that would have to travel back and forth.
Here's one version ... https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/simmons-pilot-covid-19-testing-program-could-see-all-toronto-teams-homeward-bound

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I'm not in the area to see that but this was posted on the Canucks boards about a new area

Opinion: Proposed 10,000-seat indoor stadium would catalyze downtown Surrey | Urbanized

This sort of thing happens all the time and everywhere.

Surrey had one group which tried to do the exact same thing about 3 years ago and another one about 3-5 years before that. All groups made it clear it can't be done without public money, and Surrey makes it clear to them every single time they won't use much public money on a project like this. It is the time-tested method of attempting to raise public interest in a project which has no chance of going through on its own. Surrey came out with a strategic plan for public works and future infrastructural projects in 2027. This wasn't even included in a mock-up.

It has been tried everywhere from Toronto to Long Island. Very rarely does it work. These sorts of news articles don't come out when they're going to work.

Reactions: DoyleG and LuckyDay

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I imagine the Flames and Oilers will try to look for one of the nearby WHL teams that can't play or they share a rink with their respective NHL clubs.

Vancouver could do either Victoria or Abbotsford/Chilliwack.

That is until COVID is announced over.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
In the event of a Canadian Division, does the AHL stay at 4 divisions or adopt a weird 5 division setup this season for the remaining Pacific Division teams to avoid excessive travel?

This is what I would assume a probable 5 division layout would be:

Atlantic
*Bridgeport
*Charlotte
*Hartford
*Providence
*Springfield
*Wilkes-Barre/Scranton

North
*Binghamton
*Cleveland
*Hershey
*Lehigh Valley
*Rochester
*Syracuse

Central
*Chicago
*Grand Rapids
*Iowa
*Milwaukee
*Rockford
*Texas

Pacific
*Colorado
*Henderson
*Ontario
*San Diego
*San Jose
*Tucson

Canadian
*Belleville
*Bakersfield (Relocation by Edmonton)
*Laval
*Manitoba
*Toronto
*Stockton (Relocation by Calgary)
*Utica (Relocation by Vancouver)

Last edited:

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... This is what I would assume a probable 5 division layout would be:

Atlantic
*Bridgeport
*Charlotte
*Hartford
*Providence
*Springfield
*Wilkes-Barre/Scranton

North
*Binghamton
*Cleveland
*Hershey
*Lehigh Valley
*Rochester
*Syracuse

Central
*Chicago
*Grand Rapids
*Iowa
*Milwaukee
*Rockford
*Texas

Pacific
*Colorado
*Henderson
*Ontario
*San Diego
*San Jose
*Tucson

Canadian
*Belleville
*Bakersfield (Relocation by Edmonton)
*Laval
*Manitoba
*Toronto
*Stockton (Relocation by Calgary)
*Utica (Relocation by Vancouver)
You left out the footnote for all those asterisks ...

* - DNP (Did Not Play)

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
FYI, Sasktel Center/Blades have a clause that doesn't allow any higher level hockey unless it's the NHL.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
I recently read something where it said that all 3 of these teams probably are NOT moving to canada this season due to the cost of doing it.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Thanks...not sure if it was that exact story but it is basically the same as what I read.

A couple of the airlines have worked with a company from Maine (Promerica Health) to develop a test where people can take getting off the plane and get results on their phone via text or email within an hour. It's an option but with governments getting ready for shutdown I do not suspect we will see the US/Canada border reopen before May at the earliest.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
You read well. Scott Howson confirmed in an interview with a Utica TV reporter today that all 3 Canadian NHL teams with US based AHL teams will keep them in the US this season.

Full Story: AHL President Says Comets Will Remain in Utica This Season

Thank you I'm glad to know that all that schooling paid off....lol. On a serious note I wish I could remember where I read it. I just remember the article talking about how cost prohibitive it would be for those 3 teams to make a 1 year trek up to canada. and how they probably didn't feel comfortable spending the money in these times.

Reactions: UticaHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad