Oilers, Flames and Canucks moving their AHL teams to Canada for 2020-21

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
If the arenas are still not open to the public. They will probably simply play in the same NHL arenas as their affiliate teams.

Depending on their lease agreements it could open them up to lawsuits or whatever...breach of contract and penalties.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I have been thinking it may make sense to have the AHL teams almost be taxi squads to the NHL. They can just match the NHL schedule. Reduce travel expenses, have an expanded set of players for the NHL to have available on a call ups notice.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
I have been thinking it may make sense to have the AHL teams almost be taxi squads to the NHL. They can just match the NHL schedule. Reduce travel expenses, have an expanded set of players for the NHL to have available on a call ups notice.

Problem with this is...you have a bunch of independently owned teams that need to play games in order to pay their bills. So probably not likely...there will be an AHL season this year just not sure how many games and when it starts.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
The Oilers and Flames would have to permanently move their AHL teams to western Canada for that to be feasible.

Wouldn't the WHL have to sign ooff on this? I thought there was an agreement between the NHL and WHL to keep non-NHL pro hockey out of Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, Washington, and Oregon.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Wouldn't the WHL have to sign ooff on this? I thought there was an agreement between the NHL and WHL to keep non-NHL pro hockey out of Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, Washington, and Oregon.

None that I am aware of. The AHL was in British Columbia as recently as 2012 and the ECHL was in British Columbia as recently as 2011. Any agreement would also likely be illegal with Canada's competition law.

Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Problem with this is...you have a bunch of independently owned teams that need to play games in order to pay their bills. So probably not likely...there will be an AHL season this year just not sure how many games and when it starts.

I absolutely understand that and ultimately my scenario pretty much removes the AHL ownership. It would be more like a European soccer Reserves team.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
I absolutely understand that and ultimately my scenario pretty much removes the AHL ownership. It would be more like a European soccer Reserves team.

The danger of such a system is how much interest in hockey (and thus the NHL) is lost from non-NHL markets if the NHL teams are the only 32 pro teams in NA?

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
If the local leadership is not going to allow fans in the stands, I highly doubt there will be an AHL season in 2020-2021. There is no TV revenue to fall back on, and the fans are the way the teams meet cost. Here in NY, hockey fans are not the Governor's normal support group so I highly doubt he allows anything near the needed capacity for any of the minor leagues that play throughout the state.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->