Oilers first round pick

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
From the main board trade/FA thread:

Mac just on Edmonton radio was asked if the management group was ready to deal what could be a top 3 pick?

He said, absolutely....the last thing this group needs is another 18 year old.

He was asked what ideally they'd want in return? He said a defencemen on or just coming off entry-level contract...

It is pretty clear which two players on our roster fit MacTavish's criteria, but is anyone comfortable with that price?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
From the main board trade/FA thread:

It is pretty clear which two players on our roster fit MacTavish's criteria, but is anyone comfortable with that price?

No way with Trouba. And not very likely with Bogo and his recent extension. At least not for the 1st alone.

Majikme

Apr 20, 2013
Everybody should be interested in the pick. It will probably be a top 3 pick.

What would it take? Probably Buff or Bogo to start the convo.

Hope Chevy takes note. Buff has been good, but i think we can fill the gap if we can get a first. would rather get the 2015 if possible though

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I do Eberle and 1st for Byfuglien all day. I think that makes us better now and in the future.

Eberle and 1st for Bogosian? No thanks. He just signed long term. He loves the city. He's a great ambassador. He isn't playing as bad as people are saying and I still see big things from him.

I see Bogo/Trouba being a helluva one two punch in the future.

I think Byfuglien is what the Oilers really need IF they can find a way to get more consistent effort out of him.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I do Eberle and 1st for Byfuglien all day. I think that makes us better now and in the future.

agreed with above.
the 2014 vs 2015 draft question is interesting though...which is better - a likely top 6 pick in a 2014 thinner draft or an unknown pick (top 12?) in a better 2015 draft?
(I think we'd have to throw in a 2nd round pick for this trade to fly)

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Eberle+ 1st for Buff is what someone on their board proposed. So I'll go with that.

Apparently Buf can submit a 5-team no trade list every year.

If I were him I would put Edmonton on that list. Probably together with Columbus and Florida, as teams that are just perennial losers.

Bogosian of course has a full no move clause, so would have to agree to any trade, and I can't imagine him agreeing to go to Edmonton.

Guys who no "No trade" clauses, who are still RFAs or signed to long deals, are:

Trouba
Sheifele
Kane
Frolik

I don't see a Winnipeg-Edmonton trade happening. Much like the Oilers, the last thing we need is another 18 year old kid.

The Oilers would be better off looking to trade with a stacked team like Chicago or Boston, who has good players in the system but no room for them to play top line minutes.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Apparently Buf can submit a 5-team no trade list every year.

If I were him I would put Edmonton on that list. Probably together with Columbus and Florida, as teams that are just perennial losers.

Bogosian of course has a full no move clause, so would have to agree to any trade, and I can't imagine him agreeing to go to Edmonton.

Guys who no "No trade" clauses, who are still RFAs or signed to long deals, are:

Trouba
Sheifele
Kane
Frolik

I don't see a Winnipeg-Edmonton trade happening. Much like the Oilers, the last thing we need is another 18 year old kid.

The Oilers would be better off looking to trade with a stacked team like Chicago or Boston, who has good players in the system but no room for them to play top line minutes.
Correct me if I am wrong here Holden, but Bogo shouldn't be eligible for a NMC yet due to years of service.

I know CapGeek says he has one and he probably does, but is it possible that it doesn't kick in for another year or two.

EDIT

Scratch the Richards comment - remembered wrong.

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Correct me if I am wrong here Holden, but Bogo shouldn't be eligible for a NMC yet due to years of service.

I know CapGeek says he has one and he probably does, but is it possible that it doesn't kick in for another year or two.

I am thinking similarly to what happened with Mike Richards.

Could be. I only know what capgeek tells me.

If that was the case though I imagine Bogo would have been given a verbal promise not to trade him...

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Bogo has one more year after this one before his NMC kicks in. But there's no chance Chevy pulls a Holmgren. I would think Bogo would have to ask to be traded before it happens.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

EDIT

Scratch the Richards comment - remembered wrong.

It doesn't kick in yet officially but I bet there is an unofficial agreement that he won't be moved before it kicks in. I don't see an org like TNSE breaking such an agreement if its in place.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I really doubt that Edmonton does Buff for Eberle + 1st Rounder, that's not really what they need at all.

Byfuglien is the kind of guy you add to a contender to put them over the edge IMO, he's good offensively and his defensive weaknesses do get a tad bit overblown but he does have an unfortunate amount of brain farts that lead to goals and Edmonton needs to focus on stopping the goals from going in rather than putting in more (although with being shutout 3 games in a row at home that's certainly an issue as well).

I don't see a scenario where we pry that pick from Edmonton, since it's going to be really freaking valuable. MacT may be a rookie GM, but he's not an idiot.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It doesn't kick in yet officially but I bet there is an unofficial agreement that he won't be moved before it kicks in. I don't see an org like TNSE breaking such an agreement if its in place.

There is no way Chevy trades Bogo after signing a 7 year contract. It would go against everything True North is trying to build. I think over the years we will see this organization being loyal almost to a fault with their core players. Buff is much more likely to be traded, but not as good a fit for the Oilers. I don't see anything happening here.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
You would have to be crazy to not do Eberle, 1st for Bogosian. I would do that in a heart beat. Eberle, Hall, RNH. Any of those 3 I would do with a 1st for Bogosian. Sorry but with Trouba, Morrisey, Enstrom, Buff Im not to worried to give up Bogo. I don't see him as ever being a #1 stud. Too many years in, too many of the same type of huge, costly mistakes every few games. I see Bogo as being a solid #3-#4 on a cup contending team. Eberle is a 1st line, skilled player, who we could use so much for extra scoring, and our PP. Let alone a top 3 pick to go on the shelf with Trouba, Morrisey, and Scheif.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
You would have to be crazy to not do Eberle, 1st for Bogosian. I would do that in a heart beat. Eberle, Hall, RNH. Any of those 3 I would do with a 1st for Bogosian. Sorry but with Trouba, Morrisey, Enstrom, Buff Im not to worried to give up Bogo. I don't see him as ever being a #1 stud. Too many years in, too many of the same type of huge, costly mistakes every few games. I see Bogo as being a solid #3-#4 on a cup contending team. Eberle is a 1st line, skilled player, who we could use so much for extra scoring, and our PP. Let alone a top 3 pick to go on the shelf with Trouba, Morrisey, and Scheif.
I am inclined to agree with you.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
I really doubt that Edmonton does Buff for Eberle + 1st Rounder, that's not really what they need at all.

Byfuglien is the kind of guy you add to a contender to put them over the edge IMO, he's good offensively and his defensive weaknesses do get a tad bit overblown but he does have an unfortunate amount of brain farts that lead to goals and Edmonton needs to focus on stopping the goals from going in rather than putting in more (although with being shutout 3 games in a row at home that's certainly an issue as well).

I don't see a scenario where we pry that pick from Edmonton, since it's going to be really freaking valuable. MacT may be a rookie GM, but he's not an idiot.

Buff would immediately be their best offensive and defensive D man and can play 25 min a night - would help them a lot imo

pretty sure Edmonton would be on his list of teams not to be traded to though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad