TSN: Oilers fire Chiarelli - how does this effect moves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Most of this board is actually kind of upset. It means the Oilers finally have a chance of being good.
How can anyone be mad? They signed a goalie with like 30 NHL games under his belt for 4.5Mx3 and then like 2 days later the GM gets fired? That's hilarious and should be recognized as so.
We need a video of all of Chia's screw ups to really appreciate how many years he has set the Oilers back.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
So which former Oiler is coming to be the new GM? :sarcasm:

Koskinen deal seems to have been the final straw?
I would say the standings. Had they won the 3 games they just lost( which was doable ) they're comfortably in the #1 wildcard spot and I don't think todays headlines exist.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Good for Edmonton.

I know Leaf fans and Oiler fans chirp each other a lot... and sometimes they piss me off and we ( Leaf fans) piss them off.

However as much as I hate other teams like Ottawa or Montreal... I still like to see Canadian teams doing well. Plus it can only make for a better rivalry.

Chia was a meat head. Oiler fans have had to endure a lot. Leaf fans know this too well ... we had terrible management for years.

Mcdavid deserves better. Hopefully they can actually figure their way out of this mess that Chia just made worse.

Hopefully while they're looking for a new GM they don't do anything drastic.

I'm guessing maybe they did this now to have someone in place by the trade deadline. Someone hopefully that has some solid connections with other GMs.

I guess you can't really be worse off then having Chia.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They should try to gain extra assets, clear as much cap as possible and re-tool for few years and give them an honest shot.
Build it well.

But they'll end up staying in similar situation as they are now, try a quick fix because having McDavid "pressures" them to be successfull right now.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
I mean, the obvious answer is he does his job as he sees fit until such time as hes not GM.

The real question is why did ownership let him sign the goalie when the entire hockey world saw it coming
Because hes a good developing goaltender? Developing in a sense he hasnt played a single playoff series but he will until his new contract expires

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
As a Jackets fan I am disappointed. The Jackets were waiting on player information over All-Star break before deciding what to do next and so have missed out on taking advantage of Chiarelli this year.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I mean, the obvious answer is he does his job as he sees fit until such time as hes not GM.

The real question is why did ownership let him sign the goalie when the entire hockey world saw it coming

Ya, that was exactly my point.

How can the owner accept this, clearly he doesnt think Chia is fit to the task but let him sign a heavy contract ? Makes no sense

Just a wild guess here but the signing might have came from Lowe and McTavish. They put the blame on Chia (which he deserves) but I wouldn’t be surprised if most of the moves came from them. They might even hire a GM that has the same mentality they do.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I`m not surprised by this - it will be interesting to see how it affect trades until TDL.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I remember one time when I invited the managers I had working for me into a meeting to discuss whether one high profile employee should be terminated or whether we should wait. His manager had almost convinced me to keep him until I got a phone call during the meeting about another one of his screw ups. I can just imagine that the higher-ups at the Oilers had the same thing yesterday. Except instead of a phone call informing them of Chia's incompetence, it was a tsn news alert telling them of Koskinen being overpaid

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
This doesnt make any sense. If the signing was the deciding factor for ownership, they wouldnt have let him do it.
There is a flaw with that thinking.

It is more likely the decision was made based on the fall out of that signing. The media disected this nicely showing the flaws which in turn may have lead to the firing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->