Oilers Fans: If you had a choice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Between picking first overall and selecting Austin Matthews in the offseason, or having your team just miss the playoffs and pick between 10-14 in the draft, what would you choose?

I feel like at this point if I were an Oilers fan I would be more content in seeing the current roster improve in the standings and give hope for next year rather them finish close to last place, even though they would obtain another high-end prospect. I'm curious to see what Oilers fans think however.

Note: I'm not saying they can't make the playoffs this year. Clearly after this win streak they have a good shot of making it if they continue to play well. But hypothetically, if they starting to lose and playoff hope was dwindling, would you prefer your team have another high draft pick or for them to finish just outside of a playoff spot but give hope for next year?

Most Oiler fans have wanted even marginal success over another first overall for years.

McDavid is the only guy who we fluked out on to get that is technically worth the pain and anquish of so many brutal years.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Barely miss ainec

And then win the lotto ;)

But for reals just miss

This.

Looking ahead to the draft, the Oilers should be able to get a fitting prospect even if they're in the 10-14 range. The morale boost from actually improving would be worth it, especially if it helps them sign some players

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton
If we're talking hypotheticals, I'll take a playoff run. Sick of only having the draft to look forward to. Keep winning games. No interest in Auston, zero.

Woodtkachuk

Jun 2, 2011
If they got last place again the only thing it would mean is that their youngsters are taking steps back instead of forward.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
We've had to watch our team lose for years. We're sick of it. We want progress, and a return to respectability. Fighting for the playoffs is the start of that.

You're almost guaranteed to make progress next year with Mathews. And with an extra center, that makes RNH expendable for a good defenseman.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
You're almost guaranteed to make progress next year with Mathews. And with an extra center, that makes RNH expendable for a good defenseman.

I don't want to wait another year. I don't think you understand how awful it is to watch garbage hockey for a decade. I'd love to have Matthews, but not at the expense of another wasted year. We can still trade Nuge if we acquire a 3rd line C who is capable of filling in in case of injuries. And if we can't win with McDavid, and Draisaitl as our top 6 centers, adding Matthews to the mix probably won't make a lick of difference.

No more losing. No more.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I don't want to wait another year. I don't think you understand how awful it is to watch garbage hockey for a decade. I'd love to have Matthews, but not at the expense of another wasted year. We can still trade Nuge if we acquire a 3rd line C who is capable of filling in in case of injuries. And if we can't win with McDavid, and Draisaitl as our top 6 centers, adding Matthews to the mix probably won't make a lick of difference.

No more losing. No more.

If you don't make the playoffs, you wasted a year. Progressing up the standings only to miss the playoffs isn't really 'not wasting a year', ask any regular playoff teams GM if he wasted his year when they do miss the playoffs.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
If you don't make the playoffs, you wasted a year. Progressing up the standings only to miss the playoffs isn't really 'not wasting a year', ask any regular playoff teams GM if he wasted his year when they do miss the playoffs.

MacTavish.....is that you ?

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

If you look at it in black and white, maybe.

It's not a wasted year when the players gain confidence, and shake off the loser mentality that has dogged the team for years. It's not a wasted year when the psyche of the team, the fans, and the city gets a big boost. It's not a wasted year when Todd's system shows the players dividends. Fighting for a playoff spot is a major positive for this club, and can only help them going forward.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011

Yeah..... No. **** the draft. Would have rather not been pathetically bad last year and not got McDavid too.

But we were, and we did. The line must be drawn here. This far no farther.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
MacTavish.....is that you ?

Could be Lowe or Tambo too :)

When you have lost as much as the Oilers have, you're not going to turn into a contender in 1 year. There is gonna be a year in there where you go from crap to close to a playoff spot. And there will be a year where you get destroyed in the playoffs in the 1st round. So, those are 2 milestones that we haven't even come within a sniff of achieving. So, if we aren't gonna try to do the first one this year, when the heck are we?

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
If i was an oiler fan definitely barely miss the playoffs. Atleast your better than 10+ teams instead of being in the basement all alone aswell as being the leagues laughing stock.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Barely miss playoffs AINEC

Getting another 1st overall would just make me mad

BUT if we just missed and still won 1st overall, I'd die laughing

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
I would choose for the Oilers to barely miss the playoffs since that would mean they are really getting it together. If they were in a position where Mathews was to be selected, that would make me wonder what was going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad