News Article: Oilers: Eakins will need to be much better in year two in order to keep his job

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
If the Oilers make the play-offs this season, you can have control of my avatar for the duration of those play-offs and off-season until the start of the 2015-2016 season.

Game on bro. Don't worry, I'll study your posting history and keep a close eye on your likes and dislikes.

Challenge accepted.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I don't understand why everyone thinks this is a sentiment.

The Oilers have been ABYSMALLY RUN for a LONG TIME, and are VERY DESERVING for ALL of the criticism they receive... AND NOTHING IS BEING DONE! If there is any fanbase in the NHL that is allowed to incessantly complain it's the OILERS. 29 other teams would agree with this. THATS HOW BAD WE ARE! WE RECEIVE PITY from 29 other teams! INCLUDING CALGARY!

Do you realise that we are historically the WORST team in the entire expansion era of this sport?

You are both right and wrong. This org has been run very poorly for years. That has to change...like yesterday.

Nothing is being done? I cannot agree with that, if you are referencing the players of the team, and even Management. MacT has changed a crapload of personnel on the team. Pretty much the entire lineup. Including Bucky and Smith. Not to mention Dellow.

As far as management, I view the Bob Nicholson hire as quite a major change in the way things will be run around here. I could be wrong though.

Time will tell.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
I think the oilers need to show some faith in their coaches and hold players responsible for bad plays. I don't think in the Eberle, Hall, Nuge era these guys have ever felt threatened. They have LT contracts and when the fans get restless the coach gets thrown under the bus. It's a bad culture. I would like to see them establish some solidarity and trust with the coaching staff. It's up to management to establish an all for one attitude within the organization this year. IMO

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
This article is a lot of wishful thinking. Unless Lowe and Mactavish go with him, Eakins survives this season regardless of what his record is. The clock won't start ticking on him until the start of the 2015-16 season.

If the Oilers are competitive at the TDL Eakins keeps his job. Anything less and he should be gone. No free pass this year. Sure there are holes to be filled. That's been the case for each of the last 20 seasons.

It's pointless to keep Eakins around if the team can't make progress this year. The regression last year was palpable. Last year's debacle can be excused if the team proves it has bought into his system with their play this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad