Oilers Drafts - What I Would Have Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
I am a relatively new Oilers fan. I grew up in Ontario a Toronto Maple Leafs supporter but became disenfranchised when they traded away Tuuka Rask. Cheering for another NHL team while living in Ontario seemed disingenuous so I started watching junior and minor midget hockey almost exclusively at that point. When I moved to Edmonton two years ago, I figured it was an ideal time to start rooting for another NHL team. I didn't think it would be possible for another team to be as poor at drafting and developing talent as the Leafs, but having watched what they've done in the draft since I got here, it seems like the Oiler are.

That conclusion lead me to think to myself who would I have taken? It's awfully easy to go back in time and find someone that everyone seemed to miss, so I've decided to put together this list for the last three years (not many players outside of the first round have made it yet) to see if I actually could have done better.

To try to put some parameters around this what-if exercise, I will only say what I would have done on draft day. As such, I won’t really speak to players I would have taken with picks that were traded at some point prior to the draft other than a brief mention, but I don’t think they value their picks enough and trade them away far too liberally – which is half the problem. Here's what I'd have done:

2012:

Number 1: I’d have taken Yakupov. It’s not looking like the best pick now, but in the OHL he looked pretty special. Seventeen year-olds generally don’t score 100 points in that league. Now it looks like Galchenyuk or one of the defencemen would have been the way to go, but I’m trying to be honest here. No change - Yakupov.

Number 32: Matt Finn from the Guelph Storm. I think most people would agree that there was a little bit of a hometown overpayment on Moroz. There are choices here, but I would have picked Finn. Finn over Moroz.

Number 63: The Oilers need some depth at the goaltending position, and I would have taken Daniel Altshuller. The Generals tender instantaneously becomes the top goaltending prospect in the Oilers system. Andersen has the inside track at this point, but I didn’t know who he was in 2012. Altshuller over Khaira.

Number 93: People talk about the Oilers’ speed, but I don’t see it beyond Hall. I’d have taken Barrie Colts speedster Andreas Anthanasiou with this pick. You can’t do this in the show, but boy is it fun to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8naQZfhoKcs. This you can do in the show, and boy it would be nice to see some more Oilers who can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eizJ2WtCv1A. Athanasiou over Gustafsson.

Number 123: All things being equal, I always pass on someone from the NCAA in favour of a player from the CHL due to the quality of the competition and the comparatively large sample size. I don’t know anything about Laleggia but I’m not excited about a 5’10” defenceman. If I’m going with someone under 6’ with this pick, I’m going with Seth Griffith and his back-to-back Memorial Cup appearances. Griffith over Laleggia.

Number 153: It pains me, but I’m taking a London Knight for the second pick in a row. For similar reasons to Griffith, I’m taking Knights agitator Ryan Rupert instead of John McCarron. Rupert over McCarron.

2013:

Number 7: I’m not a big fan of Nurse’s; not that he isn’t going to be an NHL player, just that I don’t think he plays defence well enough. My guess is that he will be like a Schultz 2.0. I don’t think he’ll end up being the best defenceman available at 7 – in fact I’m not sure he’ll be in the top three (I like Bigras, Zadorov, and Ristolainen more). I watched him a lot as a Minor Midget and think Bigras will be the best defenceman of the bunch…but I don’t know that I could have stretched to take him at 7. Still, since Ristolainen and Zadorov are already in the show, that seems like cheating so I'm going to go bold. Bigras over Nurse.

Number 37: I likely would have taken the deal for this pick (for 57, 88 and 96), but would have been upset when Zach Nastasiuk went at 48. Another guy I’ve been watching since MM, he would be the guy to go into the corner and get the puck – something the Oilers could definitely use.

Number 57: Assuming I did get offered the deal above I would have kept this pick and taken the local kid Eric Comrie. Can’t have enough young goaltending prospects and Comrie replaces Alshuller as the most promising in the Oilers system. Comrie over Roy.

Number 68: Baptiste or Kujawinski would have been nice here (pick traded for Fistric in January 2013).

2014:

Number 3: I am all over Michael Dal Colle here. He had 39 goals and 95 points in 67 regular season games; he picked up the pace in the playoffs with 20 points in 12 games. I would have also let him develop, like the Islanders are doing (but the Oilers are not with Draistl). Interesting to me that both Alberta teams passed on Dal Colle, but I would have taken Bennett before Draistl too. Dal Colle over Draistl.

Number 33: McKeown would have been nice here; some were talking about him in the same breath as Ekblad in September 2013 (not this former Barrie Colts STH – but I do like him). This pick was traded as part of the package for Perron in July 2013.

Number 63: I would have taken Valiev here. This pick was traded as part of the package for Scrivens.

And the Oilers didn't have any other picks... Thoughts?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
What GM in their right mind would take Bigras over Nurse at the 2013 draft? Nurse was top 10 ranked and Bigras was ranked around 40. The only players that would have been acceptable to select at 7th overall would have been Ristolainen, Nichuskn and to some extent the cluster of centers like Horvat, Lazaar and Domi.

2014 draft it was either Draisaitl or Bennett. Dal Colle is good but not top 4 pick good.

2012 it was Yakupov all the way. Regardless of how things are looking now he was the right pick at the time, just overkill for this team. They should have traded that pick on draft day.

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
Number 7: I’m not a big fan of Nurse’s; not that he isn’t going to be an NHL player, just that I don’t think he plays defence well enough. My guess is that he will be like a Schultz 2.0. I don’t think he’ll end up being the best defenceman available at 7 – in fact I’m not sure he’ll be in the top three (I like Bigras, Zadorov, and Ristolainen more). I watched him a lot as a Minor Midget and think Bigras will be the best defenceman of the bunch…but I don’t know that I could have stretched to take him at 7. Still, since Ristolainen and Zadorov are already in the show, that seems like cheating so I'm going to go bold. Bigras over Nurse.

Stopped reading after this :facepalm:

stoff

Apr 19, 2007
You might have scouted hear players quite a bit and obviously know a lot about them but you should look outside the ohl a bit. There's more than just that league to look at. You did make some upgrades but everyone can do that with hindsight. You also made a lot of downgrades like Bigras over nurse and dal colle over draisaitl.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
shogun99: I'm not sure what you mean by acceptable to draft Bigras at 7 - to the fans or the media? Scheifele was drafted at 7 ahead of players like Namestnikov and McNeill and turned out to be a better pick. Of course maybe Couturier should have been the pick...

Hugo: OK

stoff: Fair comment. I am very biased towards the OHL because I've seen it the most - about 50 games a year live and double that on TV up until 2013 and about 25-30 games a year on internet stream since I moved here. I only watched a handful of live Q games a year from 2010 - 13 (mostly the Saint John Sea Dogs) and never any Bantam or MM. Since moving here I do watch a fair amount of WHL hockey live. I go to the John Reid AAA Bantam tourney as well, but that's difficult to compare against MM in Ontario. The only time I've seen any international players is at the WJC, or WJC pre-tournament games. My assessment is that the two way skill is in the OHL, the Q is all offense no defense, and the WHL is where you get the physical play. I prefer two way skill. I'm sure there are other players who would have been better picks; I'm choosing the ones I have knowledge about.

For clarity, I would have picked Ristolainen and Zadorov ahead of Nurse, not Bigras...but since they're both contributing in the NHL right now that seems a little hindsight 20-20...and that's why I said Bigras. Having said that, I'm open to a bet a pint that Bigras contributes (whatever that looks like) before Nurse.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
This is kind of dumb. Changing our picks from the last 3 years doesn't make us a significantly better team.

Having said that, if I was drafting our team would have been:

Voracek-Seguin-Yakupov
Nichuskin-RNH-Toffoli
Pouliot-Jenner-Bennett
Hendricks-Gordon

Carlson-Petry
Klefbom-Schultz
Merrill-Fayne
Finn

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
shogun99: I'm not sure what you mean by acceptable to draft Bigras at 7 - to the fans or the media? Scheifele was drafted at 7 ahead of players like Namestnikov and McNeill and turned out to be a better pick. Of course maybe Couturier should have been the pick...

Hugo: OK

stoff: Fair comment. I am very biased towards the OHL because I've seen it the most - about 50 games a year live and double that on TV up until 2013 and about 25-30 games a year on internet stream since I moved here. I only watched a handful of live Q games a year from 2010 - 13 (mostly the Saint John Sea Dogs) and never any Bantam or MM. Since moving here I do watch a fair amount of WHL hockey live. I go to the John Reid AAA Bantam tourney as well, but that's difficult to compare against MM in Ontario. The only time I've seen any international players is at the WJC, or WJC pre-tournament games. My assessment is that the two way skill is in the OHL, the Q is all offense no defense, and the WHL is where you get the physical play. I prefer two way skill. I'm sure there are other players who would have been better picks; I'm choosing the ones I have knowledge about.

For clarity, I would have picked Ristolainen and Zadorov ahead of Nurse, not Bigras...but since they're both contributing in the NHL right now that seems a little hindsight 20-20...and that's why I said Bigras. Having said that, I'm open to a bet a pint that Bigras contributes (whatever that looks like) before Nurse.

You have to go by draft ranking before the draft happened regardless of how the players turn out later. During the draft, especially 1st round picks, the teams usually stay on the general consensus of scouting services. You won't see a team with a top 10 pick go way off the board with a pick that was ranked 30 spots lower. Why don't we just draft Subban in 2007 instead of Gagner or ROR instead of Paajarvi in 2009. If the Oilers drafted Bigras 7th overall in 2013 the entire scouting staff would have been fired on the spot.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Picks that I didn't like at the time (over the past 5 years):

- Bigos/Hesketh - ie. who????
- Pitlick over Toffoli
- Musil over Jenner
- Moroz (although I didn't hate this pick as most posters here did)

In contrast, I'll give credit to the Oilers for the Marincin and Klefbom picks, Marincin was ranked as a 3rd/4th rounder, and Klefbom was ranked lower than some of the other prospects available at the time. Khaira is tracking well also, but I refuse to say he was a good pick until he actually plays in the NHL.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Bigras over Nurse? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Also Dal Colle over Draisaitl makes no sense with our organizational depth.

Mowgli

Nov 14, 2014
Draisaitl over Bennett was a weak response to having a weak team. Dal Colle over Bennett is grossly short sighted and likely short memoried.

Doesn't matter anyways. With what they've done to neuter Draisaitl they would've made Bennett play through injury or slotted Dal Colle in the lineup s despite not being ready.

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
Dal Colle couldn't even make the Junior squad (and I know why after how he played against the Russians - Fleury too I was not impressed with).

The organisational need was BIG centerman. If we were a 'big' team already then I agree Bennett is the choice, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if 10 years from now Bennett is way ahead of Dri in points, goals, etc. but the fact remains this team needs a big centerman to compete in the west down the road. Bennett ain't it.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Hindsight is easy, though.

I could say:

Voracek over Gagner
Hall
Trade Eberle + for 2nd overall and draft Seguin
Murray
Trade 7th + Marincin for Schneider
de Haan over Paajarvi

Gambl0r83*

All these prospects are in their teens. How can you possibly call them 'failures' or not good as the next prospect at this stage? Half of them haven't even played in the NHL yet. Darnell Nurse is going to be a beast of a D-man, J. schultz 2.0? W-t-f??

Lawl at this thread

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
What I would have done is take all the better players than the ones we drafted :sarcasm:

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
It's easy to go back 8 years later and second guess. That's why I focused on the last three years. At least my assessments are made on having watched these players live - in MM, OHL, WHL, and for those who were there Top Prospects and the Memorial Cups in Mississauga, Saskatoon and London - dozens of times over the past few years. Has anyone else here seen Darnell Nurse or Chris Bigras play live more than 5 times? At all? I've been posting about these kids since they were in Don Mills and Barrie MM respectively - long before the Oilers picked Nurse. Many laughed on these boards when I said if drafted, Ekblad could have been the Oilers best defenceman as soon as this year; he's proving that to be true. I guess we'll see...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad