Proposal: Oilers-devils (hall for larsson part 3)

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I think I made a hall for larsson thread part 2 back in the day. I may not have. Oh well.

Here's my proposal:

Draisaitl + caggigula + aberg + nurse + Larsson + benning

For

Wood + bratt + hischier + butcher + vatanen + santini

Here's the rationale:

The oilers don't have a lot of cap space, they are weak on the wings, their power play was poor last season and they need right handed defence for the short term. They can't sign nurse to a contract and fill out the rest of the roster without making a move. Due to chiarelli giving nmc's to underperforming players like Russell lucic and sekera, they can't be moved without permission and it seems rather unlikely they get traded or are willing to give permission to be traded. In this proposal, the oilers trade draisaitl for a worse offensive but younger, cheaper and better defensive center that produces points. Hischier also has more potential to grow than draisaitl (he is younger and good, that's why). The two wingers they acquire in the proposal, Wood and bratt, are two fast, young scoring wingers that are exceptionally cheap and will help increase their winger depth. To help out their terrible power play, they get butcher and vatanen. The oilers also get santini who I believe has top-4 upside but is coming off of a terrible season. He gives them a stop gap for when Bouchard and bear make the club full time. If he doesn't live up to his top-4 potential, then he can be traded, but if he does, then that makes the deal better for the oilers and gives them more high end players on the right side of their defence. He is a restricted free agent that will probably make around the same money as benning on his next deal.

The devils need a top-4 left shooting defender and talks on a contract with miles wood haven't been great according to a report that was used to make a thread on hf. In that thread an oilers fan asked what would the cost be. That bares no relation to this thread whatsoever. In this trade, the devils get a top-4 left shooting defender that can sign a long term contract because his team has cap space to do so. They need a physical (and at least decent) presence on their defence, as Andy Greene is no longer a top-4 dman.
The devils also acquire the best player in this deal and would get him locked up for 7 seasons. He may make less money than hischier when hischier gets his post elc deal so the devils save cap there, albeit probably not by a lot. He has great chemistry with hall in Edmonton when they were good players amd now will play with eachother when they are great players. To replace vatanen, the devils get a familiar face back in Larsson and can officially say the won the hall for Larsson deal. The devils get benning who replaced santini on the right side bottom pair of defence. He had a decent season last season and his new contract will cost roughly the same amount as santini's. Also in this deal for the devils is caggigula and aberg. Caggigula adds speed to the fast paced devils and aberg adds some scoring, who will replace the wingers they give up in this proposal. In the ahl, aberg was very productive but has not been able to put it together to the NHL yet. He gets that chance in New Jersey in this proposal.

The oilers end up with 14 million dollars of cap (an increase of 9 million) with santini and wood needing a contract while the devils end up with 10.6 million dollars of cap (a decrease of 9 million dollars) with nurse needing a contract.

I was inspired to make this from the draisaitl thread that's currently on the main boards

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
As a neutral fan:

Draisaitl = Hischier
Larsson = Vatanen
Nurse > Butcher
Santini > Benning

Give me Wood and Bratt any day of the week over Caggiula and Åberg.

Reactions: Pure

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
As a neutral fan:

Draisaitl = Hischier
Larsson = Vatanen
Nurse > Butcher
Santini > Benning

Vatanen and Butcher are superior to Nurse and Larsson in my eyes, but overall this is a fair assessment.

Don't like the idea for the Devils at all.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Oilers give up the better defencemen, Devils give up the better forwards (but Oilers give up the best one)

IMO, in terms of overall player impact today

Draisaitl > Hischier
Nurse>Vatanen
Larsson>Butcher
Benning>Santini
Aberg<Bratt
Caggiula<Wood

Hischier and Butcher have a lot of upside, but we were sold upside for a decade and Edmonton fans have no stomach whatsoever for more future promises.

Overall think Edmonton is worse today, and gets left banking hard that guys like Butcher and Bratt dont regress after their first overall season. That’s a hell of a hope and a prayer that found money stays found.

While Hischier is a very good player and might be a 70 point C in this league, Draisaitl is there now and the last thing an already incredibly young roster needs is to get even younger and less experienced at key positions.

No thanks. But neither team does this and you know that.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Why are the Devils trading away all their good young assets that are starting to prove that they are part of the future for lees assets that up til now haven't done the work in Edm in terms of playoff birth.

They are younger, cost less and have way higher ceiling.

Big NO from New Jersey.

Reactions: New Jersey

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Wow. Nurse and Larsson are not better than Vatanen or Butcher.

An artful level of bad. Players full of potential and more cost-control for a bunch of guys who, outside of Drai, have never reached theirs.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
As a neutral fan:

Draisaitl = Hischier
Larsson = Vatanen
Nurse > Butcher
Santini > Benning

A couple of things.......
1- I think the OP is nonsense.
2- Draisaitl > Hischier.......at this moment until he isn't. You are implying that H's potential is higher than Drai which I currently don't agree with due to lack of NHL playing time, let's revisit this in a few years but it should be pointed out Drai has three 50+pt seasons and 2 are 70+.
3- No man should ever say "Give me wood" publicly.

Reactions: jgreen

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
3- No man should ever say "Give me wood" publicly.

Ha, can't believe I didn't notice that.

Also, Hischier's D+1 season was almost as good as Drai's D+2. I guess it's ok to take the more proven player but Hischier could easily end up as the better player in a few years.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Seems like a realistic deal the likes of which definitely happen all the time in the real world.

Anyway, this thread will just devolve into a bunch of hot takes about how Draisaitl secretly sucks and Nurse has no hockey IQ because reasons.

Reactions: 780il

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I have zero interest in this from an Oilers perspective. Unless a young #1 Dman locked up long term is coming back to the Oilers, I have zero interest in trading Draisaitl.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Oilers give up the better defencemen, Devils give up the better forwards (but Oilers give up the best one)

IMO, in terms of overall player impact today

Draisaitl > Hischier
Nurse>Vatanen
Larsson>Butcher
Benning>Santini
Aberg<Bratt
Caggiula<Wood
Draisaitl > Hischier - agree with your take on this
Nurse>Vatanen - Disagree though nurse is younger ,Vatanen is the better dman.
Larsson>Butcher Larrson better defensive dman, Butcher smoked him in points. so this is a toss up.
Benning>Santini San so far benning is beter
Aberg<Bratt you are correct on this one as well
Caggiula<Wood this is correct as well

So for the most part i agree with you but Sammi V is better than nurs.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
3587099bb75f8b60320c1d22b9e9f6cd.jpg

Reactions: Sherwood71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad