Post-Game Talk: Oilers def. Canucks - 3-0

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
You aren't going to win with you supposed best players playing like this. Wasted an excellent goal tending effort and some of the defense was wretched.

Good

Demko - team is consistently allowing people to jam through the crease. Defense is mostly fall back to the goal and seemingly hope that with enough body mass around the net the puck will somehow hit something. Often our defense is tripping all over Demko. Demko had to be heroic in this game to keep it close

Virtanen - after some Virtanen dumbness in the first, he then had the best game he has had since before the season was stopped last February (or whenever it was). Got in the middle of things and drove the puck to the net. Look the most dangerous of all the forwards. Probably next game he reverts back to standing around but he showed some real flashes in this one. Maybe team should phone around tonight and see if there are any trade possibilities.

Hoglander - more determination than anyone else on the team. If you hoping for a tank maybe we should keep Nils off the ice. Maybe he should be like the rest and settle down into better tank type mode

Bad

Gaudette - goes without saying. Try someone else - he can't contribute.

Hughes - getting stripped at his blue line way too much. Real problem down low in his zone where he simply can't handle size. Other teams have him figured out offensively and simply let him drift around the perimeter with the puck. Might try Myers at the point on the PP

Pettersson - total no show. Couldn't handle the puck, couldn't make a pass and shoved around on defense. Right now he is the definition of a player in a sophomore slump (as is Hughes) He is not deserving of some massive contract. Bridge deal at about Boeser price is all the team should be looking at with Pettersson. Same goes for Hughes.

Boeser - No show. Accomplished nothing. Confidence may be waning.

Schmidt - him and Edler were both pushed into poor passes and poor plays. The little chemistry they seemed to be developing has disappeared. Schmidt got caught a couple of times outside the blueline when the puck came around to his point and couldn't keep the puck in which illustrated his lack of focus.

Hawryluk - didn't see much of him but what we did see wasn't that impressive. And this is a Benning special - a player Benning has always really liked (cause he scored a ton of points at bantam or something) Probably a lot better ways of spending the limited money they had in the off season and if you are not going to play him why put him the lineup. McEwen played well enough to deserve another game and likely gets a negative attitude if he is shelfed for little reason. Some of the lineup choices being made seem mindless.

Hamonic - got a little better as the game went on (when he did actually play) but his first period was just terrible. At this point: Stecher >>>>>>>>Hamonic

One thing that really bothers me is that some players and Green will have to come and explain another loss in the post game presser. Why is Benning able to duck away into the shadows. Shouldn't he be accountable and try to protect his coach and players. Instead he slips away like the seeming coward he is. It like the end of the year fan meetings the team once had. Soon as the questions got even moderately tough, Benning quit them. Now he only sits down, occasionally, with reporters who ask the soft ball questions.

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Feels cherry picked. In the period of time I just searched Demko was .895 in 9 games and Holtby.897 in 6 games.

Demko isnt a problem but I’m still unsure.
I think I saw some advanced metrics this morning that placed Demko in the top five or ten in the NHL. Let me see if I can dig it up

Edit:

Obviously no idea if it’s actually a good metric or not

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks gave up four clear-cut breakaway chances in the first period....only some miracles from Demko that we haven't seen since the Vegas series kept the score 0-0.

This Canuck team is absolutely atrocious defensively. The same mistakes; the same bonehead decisions with the puck; and just bleeding high quality shots and chances. At some point you have to look at what's going on behind the bench. There's a direct link between bad defense and bad coaching.

I simply have no patience for those who claim that the Canucks problems are all personnel related. When you're near the bottom of the league in goals allowed, it starts and ends behind the bench.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Yeah, I don’t hate him. He’s the wrong coach for where this team and roster are at at the moment, but he’s not a bad guy and - IMO - still has a bright future as a coach ahead of him.

Likewise, I can only fault Green so much when Benning gave him this sad excuse of a roster to work with. We're basically a two line and one D pairing team with a whole lot of passengers.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Getting more prospects and picks is not going to save this team.

Titanic is sinking, all the life boats have gone. We’re all the men left scrambling up top for the final show down.

The door was big enough for 2 people. She was selfish

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
And the hits just keep coming...

Continue.
Just an idea.

Would be cool to put up a feed to the live Rob Fai post game show on you tube. Perhaps pined to the top of each page of the post-game thread if that is possible.
What he is trying to do is quite something, bringing on top voices like Jpat and The Stanchion, as well as allowing callers.

Just thought it would be nice to support media going up against house radio,And help the direction of the post game thread...

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
A cap team is contending with Ottawa and Detroit. Bahahhahahahaha.

This is what I don’t understand. How can this not be a fire able offence? You have free range to spend every penny allowed. You’ve drafted in the top 10 four times since you’ve been GM.

how in the f*** can you be a basement team?

Aquilini is spending 90 million dollars on a team that can’t be worse than a team he could have spent 60M (cap floor).
That extra 30M can’t feel good, even to a billionaire.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Just an idea.

Would be cool to put up a feed to the live Rob Fai post game show on you tube. Perhaps pined to the top of each page of the post-game thread if that is possible.
What he is trying to do is quite something, bringing on top voices like Jpat and The Stanchion, as well as allowing callers.

Just thought it would be nice to support media going up against house radio,And help the direction of the post game thread...

Mehhhhhhhh. Where does it end. Everyone has their own show. Should we pin Dave Pratt’s podcast? What about Stanchion, Brough, etc etc.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Quite a few post arguing who merits the most blame for this mess, but the truth is all of them do.

Ownership. Managements. Coaches. Players. Terrible. All of them.

Sell it. Fire them. Strip it to the studs. There is very little worth salvaging here aside from a handful of young forwards, one underperforming dman, and maaybe Demko. Hard to judge your goalie when he doesn't have one good defensive dman or defensive forward in front of him. Not one.

Reactions: Luongos Knob

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Time for someone to step in. Something has to happen. This is ruining the young players we have here. This team doesn’t get along. They aren’t close. Next year someone else should be captain..

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Soon as Benning and Weisbrod are gone, I'm hopping onto team #tradeMiller

I kind of wonder, with all this worry about having a losing culture if it's worth keeping the core intact. Clearly there are some huge issues in the room if there's any fire where all the smoke comes from about this team quitting on themselves. I'd start at Green and the lack of defensive and transitional systems for the third straight year in a row. After that, maybe a small reset and shake things up? I still have no idea what Virtanen is still doing on this team. Management clearly doesn't want another Neely on their hands but it's pretty clear he's a lost cause. Gaudette I'd look at sending as well in addition to Miller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad