Confirmed with Link: Oilers Claim Valentin Zykov

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Drake is the reason im ok with continuing to develop benning. the guys who come out of NCAA take a year or 2 to adjust to the heavy game schedule that the CHL guys are already used to. Petry was the same way. maybe he is or isnt a player but im not ready to give him away for free yet.
Benning may improve marginally from a #6/7 to a #5 Dman but his pay will increase significantly. We already can't justify paying him 1.9M. I can't imagine how much he will ask in 2 years

Showcor3

Sep 27, 2017
E-town, Berta
I might be reading too much into this but the interesting line in the article is "Zykov has been cleared to play in Canada". Odd it didn't include the USA or say "North America". US Immigration being a bag of dicks?

They play in Denver next week so hopefully he has full clearance by then.
He was already playing in America for the hurricanes. This delay was a working in Canada papers

Reactions: McFuhryous

North

Jun 25, 2009
Benning may improve marginally from a #6/7 to a #5 Dman but his pay will increase significantly. We already can't justify paying him 1.9M. I can't imagine how much he will ask in 2 years

By that time you hope one of the guys from the AHL makes him expendable.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
By that time you hope one of the guys from the AHL makes him expendable.

Benning can be made expendable by basically any #6 you could sign in free agency or acquire in a trade. We don't even need an AHL guy to replace him - just sign another Gravel or trade for another Wideman.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
Benning can be made expendable by basically any #6 you could sign in free agency or acquire in a trade. We don't even need an AHL guy to replace him - just sign another Gravel or trade for another Wideman.

lol, ok bud.:rolleyes:
Benning is a legit #3 at WORST.:thumbu:
gtfo out of here with that junk. :mad:
dude is gonna carry us to the promised land. :nod:
Just need some confidence and he's a perennial 30 G scorer. :cool:

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
He was already playing in America for the hurricanes. This delay was a working in Canada papers
Not directed at you Showcor3 but to continue this discussion. As a Canadian who has worked in the US since 2000, I've had years of VISA experiences/issues. Things are not as easy as "he played in the US so all he needs is a Canadian VISA".

There are many different classes of VISA's and they all depend on your country of citizenship and the country your employer (and therefore you the potential employee) is in. If it's USA/Can, then it's easier. For this situation, not so. When he worked for the Hurricanes, he had a US-based VISA for him as a foreigner to work in the USA, and then a different exemption/Canadian work-VISA (not exactly this but for the sake of argument let's call it this), that was tied to his US-based employer and the fact that he had to travel to Canada for work.

When we picked him up on waivers, his old VISA's were essentially null and void. He had to get a Canadian VISA for him to work in Canada for a Canadian club. His old one was tied to the Hurricanes and the USA so it doesn't apply anymore. Then, to work in the US (travel for work with his Canadian club), there's more red tape, again since he is from Russia (somewhere close to there lol).

It sucks but I can totally see why it took so long. At least on the US side there are special cases for certain classes of workers to speed the process up (highly specialized jobs for doctors, hockey players, etc.), but for the regular person it takes tons of time...

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
He was already playing in Carolina so I think he already had his US Visa?

I'll admit, aside from foreigners needing a work visa, I have no idea how else the immigration process works especially for pro athletes.

Seeing he is a Russian playing pro hockey in NA, would he not have already had a Canadian visa in order to play games in Canada? It must have been more of an immigration issue than a work visa issue.

Either way, whatever the hold up was, I'm glad it's finally sorted out.

@subnet: lol, when I was typing out my post, you were typing yours. Thanks for the detailed explanation, I figured because he was working for a US company and now a Canadian one, all the US documents would be terminated and he's basically starting fresh with immigration documents. So in the end, his Canada one went through but the US is the holdup here...hopefully it gets sorted before they fly to Denver, which isn't for a week so it should be.

Last edited:
Reactions: subnet

North

Jun 25, 2009

Benning has played better since his return to the line up. If he can make himself tradeable then great.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Here's what I don't get...surely Zykov 'worked' in Canada before. After all, the Hurricanes would have visited Canadian cities, so what's the holdup now?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Here's what I don't get...surely Zykov 'worked' in Canada before. After all, the Hurricanes would have visited Canadian cities, so what's the holdup now?
Doesn't really matter. The Visa was set for working out of the US with travel to Canada. Now he needs a visa for working out of Canada and travel to the US

Reactions: subnet

North

Jun 25, 2009
We can't afford to move him. We should be hoping that he gets better and rounds out into a solid bottom 6 defender that doesn't hurt. Someone that can play 15 minutes a game and lower the top end guys from playing so much

I’m not saying move him now. I’m saying we need our prospects to progress to the point that we can trade players like Benning or Nurse which would allow us to plug holes elsewhere.

At some point the prospects have to make certain players expendable.

That’s going to be in the future obviously.

Right now and in the future we need Benning and Nurse to be better so they are attractive assets to acquire for other teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->