Speculation: Oilers/Bruins

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Production DOES matter... and throughout his career he has PRODUCED an average of 28 points per season. If you think that garners a 1st or a 2nd round pick that’s your right. The team I root for is in dire need of RW scoring and I wouldn’t give up more than a 4th for Chiasson, even as a last resort option.

And you totally avoided commenting on the discussion points I posted. He’s a 28 point scorer in the NHL up to this point in his career. So what’s your sales pitch to a team looking for a RW scorer? He’s not a young kid with kids of potential. At his age he is what he is, and he IS a 28 point scorer. His stats have yo-yo’d, one season with points in the teens, the next with point totals in the 20’s. He’s cracked 30 points ONCE in his career.

I do think some playoff team would offer a second rounder would it if thought Chiasson was a missing ingredient. Honestly the scoring is just a bonus.

Do I see Boston being a fit? Not necessarily. Specifically I’d be calling the Islanders. Trotz knows exactly what Chiasson can do for a team’s playoff run and I’m sure would advocate for him.

You want a rental scorer? You could do worse than Chiasson, but he brings more than that. Certainly he’s a 28 point guy throughout his career. That in and of itself with a Nothing cap hit is worth more than a fourth. Strong numbers - though they’re over his career high - don’t DECREASE that price.

Hell Pat Maroon got a 3rd and a C prospect. At absolute least Chiasson should swing that much.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Production DOES matter... and throughout his career he has PRODUCED an average of 28 points per season. If you think that garners a 1st or a 2nd round pick that’s your right. The team I root for is in dire need of RW scoring and I wouldn’t give up more than a 4th for Chiasson, even as a last resort option.

And you totally avoided commenting on the discussion points I posted. He’s a 28 point scorer in the NHL up to this point in his career. So what’s your sales pitch to a team looking for a RW scorer? He’s not a young kid with kids of potential. At his age he is what he is, and he IS a 28 point scorer. His stats have yo-yo’d, one season with points in the teens, the next with point totals in the 20’s. He’s cracked 30 points ONCE in his career.

You've made the "not young, no upside" and the "unsustainable" point twice. What does that matter to a team trading for a rental (who is having a good season)? A team is only paying for 2-3 months of depth as they approach the playoffs. The premium is paid by market prices for guys that can help NOW, not futures. One could argue having a hot season helps, not hurts his value.

Also nobody said a 1st. That's crazy talk. The objection was to a 4th... also crazy talk. If you can find a guy who had 17 goals (+ perhaps by the time the deadline comes) at the deadline and was traded for a 4th, I guess we'd all have to eat our words. I don't think there will be an example.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I could see the Bruins giving up a 3rd at the deadline for Chiasson or I could see them giving up a prospect who has little chance at making the team in the next few years in Boston but could be given that chance in Edmonton.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I do think some playoff team would offer a second rounder would it if thought Chiasson was a missing ingredient. Honestly the scoring is just a bonus.

Do I see Boston being a fit? Not necessarily. Specifically I’d be calling the Islanders. Trotz knows exactly what Chiasson can do for a team’s playoff run and I’m sure would advocate for him.

You want a rental scorer? You could do worse than Chiasson, but he brings more than that. Certainly he’s a 28 point guy throughout his career. That in and of itself with a Nothing cap hit is worth more than a fourth. Strong numbers - though they’re over his career high - don’t DECREASE that price.

Hell Pat Maroon got a 3rd and a C prospect. At absolute least Chiasson should swing that much.
Pat Maroon has averaged 39 points per season throughout his career and brings a physical element to his game which Chiasson doesn’t.

I’d pay a 3rd for Maroon before I pay a 4th for Chiasson

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
You've made the "not young, no upside" and the "unsustainable" point twice. What does that matter to a team trading for a rental (who is having a good season)? A team is only paying for 2-3 months of depth as they approach the playoffs. The premium is paid by market prices for guys that can help NOW, not futures. One could argue having a hot season helps, not hurts his value.

Also nobody said a 1st. That's crazy talk. The objection was to a 4th... also crazy talk. If you can find a guy who had 17 goals (+ perhaps by the time the deadline comes) at the deadline and was traded for a 4th, I guess we'd all have to eat our words. I don't think there will be an example.
Of course it matters. He’s having a breakout year at age 29, in a contract year to boot. On an Edmonton that’s failing. Without looking at the numbers I’d assume he’s getting more icetime, and his shooting % is up. The odds are he’ll resort back to his career average numbers when he moves to another team.

If you think a team will gamble that he’s suddenly performing at a higher lever at this point in his career and totally disregards his career numbers and gives up a 2nd for him, then good for you. It’s nice to live life optimistically

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad