Speculation: Oilers/Bruins

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Kassian is a meathead who can’t play a lick of hockey. We have Wagner as a physical 4th line presence, absolutely ZERO need for that stiff Kassian.

Bruins need a 3rd line center. Nugents Hopkins is a 2nd line center, and makes too much money to be cast as a 3rd line center. And I wouldn’t want to pay him 6m to be miscast as a top 6 winger.

Oilers fans like DeBrusk. But so do Bruins fans. Kid is really good and will only improve. No chance you’re acquiring him for your scrubs. Klefbom Nurse aren’t getting you DeBrusk. Neither is Puljujarvi or Yakowhatever his name is. Neither is a mid to late 1st. To get DeBrusk Oilers would need to put Draisaitl on the table. And I’m guessing they aren’t interested in doing that. And even then, I think Draisitl is overpaid

IIRC, you also used to claim Hall couldn’t return Lucic, so maybe your valuation is slightly off of reality

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Backes, Kampfer, for Looch 50% retainted and a 2nd round pick.
100% impossible unless Oilers are swinging another deal.
Backes/Lucic both make 6 Million and Oilers are right up against the cap. They'd essentially be taking on 4 extra million with the proposed trade above.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
No need whatsoever for Kassian. Bruins 4th line is very solid, Kassian not needed.

I’ve never been a fan of Chiasson, but he’s having a decent year. I’d assume he would be someone who’d potentially interest Sweeney as a 2:59pm 3rd line winger if he strikes out at the deadline.

Maybe Chiasson for a 4th?

I can name 15-20 wingers rumored to be available who I’d prefer over Chiasson.

I would damn well hope we could do better than a 4th for a guy with more goals and more points than DeBrusk...

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
No need whatsoever for Kassian. Bruins 4th line is very solid, Kassian not needed.

I’ve never been a fan of Chiasson, but he’s having a decent year. I’d assume he would be someone who’d potentially interest Sweeney as a 2:59pm 3rd line winger if he strikes out at the deadline.

Maybe Chiasson for a 4th?

I can name 15-20 wingers rumored to be available who I’d prefer over Chiasson.

That is really low for a guy who is having a good year and only $650,000 with no term. A 2nd is more reasonable.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Yeah nothing suspicious about a career 20 point guy shooting 24%. No chance for regression there. Come on.

Uh, other players who have career years are being offered only for a premium on here. A 4th for Chiasson is easily beaten by a number of other teams looking for offense. No one is asking for a 1st. A 2nd is fair value. Easy to add to even a cap limited team and no term. So make your own evaluation and sign him, or not, in the off season.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I would damn well hope we could do better than a 4th for a guy with more goals and more points than DeBrusk...
Chiasson is 29 yrs old with a career high of 35 points (in 2013 season). Since then his point totals have been: 26, 14, 24, 18, and 27 thus far this season. So are you insinuating Chiasson at 29 years old is having a breakout season and will continue to improve his scoring totals? Because history tells me that he’s a bottom 6 winger who will score points in the mid 20’s per season on average.

Not sure why you mentioned DeBrusk when discussing Chiasson. DeBrusk is 22 years old, in his 2nd season, and in his rookie year scored 43 points (better than Chiasson’s career high). So please tell he how the two are related.?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Uh, other players who have career years are being offered only for a premium on here. A 4th for Chiasson is easily beaten by a number of other teams looking for offense. No one is asking for a 1st. A 2nd is fair value. Easy to add to even a cap limited team and no term. So make your own evaluation and sign him, or not, in the off season.

I'm not sure that we could land a 2nd but a 3rd is a must, anything less would be selling low.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Unfortunately I only see the Oilers trading small parts. I would like to think they could make a real impact trade to give something to feel positive going into next season, but not hopeful on that.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
That is really low for a guy who is having a good year and only $650,000 with no term. A 2nd is more reasonable.
See my other post. Chiasson is 29 yrs old who has averaged 28 points per season thus far in his career (including this season).

Ya teams will be tripping over themselves to give up a 2nd round pick for that

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
All Oilers trade threads should be locked...we have nothing available that anyone wants...Thanks Chia

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
See my other post. Chiasson is 29 yrs old who has averaged 28 points per season thus far in his career (including this season).

Chiasson isn't averaging 28 points this season. He has 27 in 46 games. He is also 28, not 29. Your post is a complete fabrication.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Chiasson isn't averaging 28 points this season. He has 27 in 46 games. He is also 28, not 29. Your post is a complete fabrication.

I think you misunderstood. He meant including his rates for this season, its still only 28. Regardless, no need to fight about Chiasson. If you want a 2nd rounder, go elsewhere and good luck.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
The moves, if any, are more likely to be minor in nature...send out Kassian, Brodziak, rent out Chiasson, etc. That's if the deals exist.

They could get quantity for Draisaitl or RNH, but quantity isn't the issue. Better off keeping what little they have.

Any real move is just going to be paying someone to take something. Better off going after UDFAs and trying to fix the front office to really deal with this mess. Can't afford to deal value unless you're winning the trade.

I kept looking at it from the NYR perspective, but the pieces aren't really there, or the cap gets messy. A package of Zucc+Fast could be valuable, but balancing that cap gets tricky, never mind the problems of moving a first or a prospect for the Oilers. What works for one doesn't work for the other.

There's some promising prospects in Benson, Maksimov, Bouchard, Yamamoto, Safin, and even Marody could turn into a quality player.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Chiasson is 29 yrs old with a career high of 35 points (in 2013 season). Since then his point totals have been: 26, 14, 24, 18, and 27 thus far this season. So are you insinuating Chiasson at 29 years old is having a breakout season and will continue to improve his scoring totals? Because history tells me that he’s a bottom 6 winger who will score points in the mid 20’s per season on average.

Not sure why you mentioned DeBrusk when discussing Chiasson. DeBrusk is 22 years old, in his 2nd season, and in his rookie year scored 43 points (better than Chiasson’s career high). So please tell he how the two are related.?

Because production matters and someone will offer a lot more than a 4th for a guy with a statline of 17-10-27 and a Cup ring from last season.

Reactions: TFHockey

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Because production matters and someone will offer a lot more than a 4th for a guy with a statline of 17-10-27 and a Cup ring from last season.
Production DOES matter... and throughout his career he has PRODUCED an average of 28 points per season. If you think that garners a 1st or a 2nd round pick that’s your right. The team I root for is in dire need of RW scoring and I wouldn’t give up more than a 4th for Chiasson, even as a last resort option.

And you totally avoided commenting on the discussion points I posted. He’s a 28 point scorer in the NHL up to this point in his career. So what’s your sales pitch to a team looking for a RW scorer? He’s not a young kid with kids of potential. At his age he is what he is, and he IS a 28 point scorer. His stats have yo-yo’d, one season with points in the teens, the next with point totals in the 20’s. He’s cracked 30 points ONCE in his career.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Not a 2nd rounder, but he could easily have some interest for a mid round pick. He was a cup winner only a year ago after all. Not a bad guy to have at your disposal if you can get him on the cheap.

What really stands out though, overall, is how Chiasson, a guy who was very much a depth player on a cup winning team, is so much better than 6 of the wingers we dress nightly. A guy who wasn't a guarantee to be in the lineup for one team has been another's 3rd best winger. Gross. Thanks Chia.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Not a 2nd rounder, but he could easily have some interest for a mid round pick. He was a cup winner only a year ago after all. Not a bad guy to have at your disposal if you can get him on the cheap.

What really stands out though, overall, is how Chiasson, a guy who was very much a depth player on a cup winning team, is so much better than 6 of the wingers we dress nightly. A guy who wasn't a guarantee to be in the lineup for one team has been another's 3rd best winger. Gross. Thanks Chia.
That’s fair. Me personally I’d offer a 4th from Boston if Sweeney can’t land a bigger fish. But I could see a desperate team giving up a 3rd maybe, hoping he catches lightning in a bottle for one playoff run.

Let me ask Oilers fans this, let’s say Chiasson has a career year this season, let’s for the sake of discussion assume he scores 48 points this season (what he’s currently on pace for). What would you want your GM to sign him for on a new contract?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad