I’ve heard word that the flames and Oilers pbp people are just switching teams*

*that word was out of my mouth

Reactions: oilers'72

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Why would they do that? Each west city already has a guy who actually lives there. I think Quinn once said he moves to Edmonton semi-permanently each season. Cuthbert doesn't live in any of those places afaik.

The point being that they maybe are trying to cut costs, minimize travel and as such may assign him to a city where they were planning on moving on from the current guy or where someone had been contemplating retirement and just use the guys you've assigned regionally for the national broadcasts. When a national broadcast features american teams just use their feed as they probably couldn't send one of their guys anyways.

If they assign one crew each to Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary and Toronto for regional games then odds are any national games will feature at least one of those teams and if not you send whoever from one of those crews that isn't working a game that day since it's impossible that all 7 teams play on the same day (i.e. National Games featuring two of Winnipeg/Ottawa/Montreal are the only games where you wouldn't already have a crew on hand so they'd still maintain one travelling crew, but only one).

I don't mean to presume Cuthbert will be assigned to Edmonton, but the circumstances of this year, I could see them assigning him to a city.

ardsa

Apr 9, 2012
We have no idea if HNIC will even pick up USA games this year.

There can only be at max 3 games this year any one day involving a Canadian team. If they have 4 set crews that is sufficient. If OTT and WPG are playing on a Saturday, then there will be at free broadcast crews in VAN, EDM, CGY, or TOR to call the game from that location.

3 person booth will be tough this year. I cannot imagine there will be between the glass colour commentary. COVID distancing will eliminate that position.

Reactions: oilers'72

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don’t think broadcasters are allowed to travel with the team so maybe each broadcast will just be the home teams broadcasters?

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I don’t think broadcasters are allowed to travel with the team so maybe each broadcast will just be the home teams broadcasters?

Why wouldn't they be allowed?

I do see it play out that way though to save costs for the year.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
I can foresee Sportsnet doing a hub style broadcast centre, without regional broadcasts and no travel, like we saw during the last playoffs. At least in the west or for Alberta.
I’m not sure how TSN will figure in for some of the teams west of Alberta.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Hopefully optimistic, but Quinn has also been calling Oilers games for longer than I've been watching hockey, so I literally grew up listening to him and will be sad to see him go if he is indeed replaced. Also, keep Gene.

I associate Kevin Quinn with abject incompetence. You could give him cue cards and he wouldn't get the players right. Most of Quinns time the team has been just as bad so the whole broadcasts have looked like amateur hour.

Plus his country dumb looks always reminds me of this guy from Hangover.

Last edited:
Reactions: brentashton

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I’m with you 100% on this. Quinn is far from perfect, but I really feel it’s the case of the devil you know is better than the devil you don’t when it comes to play by play guy. I’ve had Centre Ice a couple of times now and hearing some of the local guys from around the league really gave me an appreciation for Quinn.

He's Vanilla but it's safe. I don't think he's perfect but I'm with you in knowing it could be a lot worse. Quinn is legit competent compared to many. I want an announcer who doesn't want to be the show but simply descibes whats going on and Quinn does that. I like the game of hockey, I don't need it dressed up. I agree he fumbles names too often but that's a minor issue compared to some of the guys out there.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
If Michaels ends up on tv I’m actually for it. He would be a great TV PBP guy. He’s dreadful on the radio because he does TV PBP anyway. Oilers moving right to left in their white sweaters with blue trim. News flash Jack nobody can see the jerseys you’re on the radio.

Last edited:

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
I want an announcer who doesn't want to be the show but simply descibes whats going on and Quinn does that. I like the game of hockey, I don't need it dressed up.

And THIS is precisely the issue with Jack. Even when he abandons the stories and calls the game, his PBP is cluttered with a ton of over-the-top cliches and catchphrases (stuffs it home, back door, biscuit, d-to-d). The contrived emotion wears on the ears too...it sounds like Gilbert Gottfried trying to impersonate a WWE announcer.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Why wouldn't they be allowed?

I do see it play out that way though to save costs for the year.

I think NHL imposed Covid restrictions. Stauffer was saying they aren’t allowed to travel with the team this season. I’m not sure, just speculating / questioning what’s / why is going on as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->