Oilers Broadcast changes

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Michaels is somebody that hasn't figured out that the characters on the Flintstones are named after rocks.

He thought Fred Flinstones boss was named Slater.. actually said that in the telecast, not as a joke. Not as a Principe pun.

When you realize the person you are having to listen to for hours every telecast hasn't figured out the Flintstones.

Wait till he gets to the Simpsons..

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Respectfully disagree. He is light years better than Quinn and any other regional PBP guy in Canada and most US markets. I love his banter and back and forth, its like watching a game with a buddy almost. Love me some Jack!

I wasn't a big fan of Jack when he was on radio, but having watched three games with Singh, I will never criticize Michaels again. ;) Very few play by play guys are perfect, but I will gladly accept Jack and Louie for every game if that would mean no more Singh and Cassie ever again. Dance with the devil you know.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I wasn't a big fan of Jack when he was on radio, but having watched three games with Singh, I will never criticize Michaels again. ;) Very few play by play guys are perfect, but I will gladly accept Jack and Louie for every game if that would mean no more Singh and Cassie ever again. Dance with the devil you know.

I have the streaming feed on but listen to Cam. Tonight there was about a 2 minute lapse between Cam and Jack but it's good to hear the goal before seeing it.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Michaels is somebody that hasn't figured out that the characters on the Flintstones are named after rocks.

He thought Fred Flinstones boss was named Slater.. actually said that in the telecast, not as a joke. Not as a Principe pun.

When you realize the person you are having to listen to for hours every telecast hasn't figured out the Flintstones.

Wait till he gets to the Simpsons..

He was pretty close, Slate vs Slater. If that's you're biggest complaint for him on the night, then he had a pretty good broadcast. ;)

Reactions: Drivesaitl

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I have the streaming feed on but listen to Cam. Tonight there was about a 2 minute lapse between Cam and Jack but it's good to hear the goal before seeing it.

That long of a lapse eh. Good thing I didn't have my phone nearby, or the Score app would have ruined the game.

Reactions: oilers'72

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

When Cassie is the better of the duo last Saturday, you know Singh really sucks

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So I have a couple of questions with regards to the intermission guys that bring in.

1. Wasn't Shannon fired from Sportsnet?
2. How was a TSN employee in Jason Strudwick on the broadcast?

Are they just allowed to invite whoever they want now? Seems odd as we've had Shannon, Struds, Stauffer and Brown.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
So I have a couple of questions with regards to the intermission guys that bring in.

1. Wasn't Shannon fired from Sportsnet?
2. How was a TSN employee in Jason Strudwick on the broadcast?

Are they just allowed to invite whoever they want now? Seems odd as we've had Shannon, Struds, Stauffer and Brown.
Struddy works on Gregor’s show and Gregor isn’t an employee of TSN. Gregor buys the airtime from the network. So Struddy would be an employee of/with Gregor and not a TSN employee.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
When Cassie is the better of the duo last Saturday, you know Singh really sucks

The sound of their voices combining was like someone scratching a blackboard. Before the end of the 2nd I LOST it with those 2 and switched to the Oilers radio stream.

And on CHED, while my mind is on the topic

Moon>>>>>>>>>Michaels

Moon brings the game to life with how he uses his voice, Michaels is so monotone compared to him.

Moon actually gives me mini Rod Phillips vibes.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
The sound of their voices combining was like someone scratching a blackboard. Before the end of the 2nd I LOST it with those 2 and switched to the Oilers radio stream.

And on CHED, while my mind is on the topic

Moon>>>>>>>>>Michaels

Moon brings the game to life with how he uses his voice, Michaels is so monotone compared to him.

Moon actually gives me mini Rod Phillips vibes.
Moon and Debrusk would make for an amazing tandem. I’m really hoping some American team takes a liking to Michaels and offers him a better gig to get him away from the Oilers.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
End of the period on CHED...and all Bob cares about is regaling Cam with stories about the time the bus didn't show up for the Golden Bears football team, and right off the kickoff, a future gold medal Olympian returned it for a touchdown.

I did not make this up.

Reactions: oilers'72

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I’ve caught the first periods of some of these early start time games on CHED on the way home from work, and I have to say, I think Cam Moon is very good. I don’t totally hate Jack like a lot of people, but Cam’s play-by-play is so smooth and efficient.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
End of the period on CHED...and all Bob cares about is regaling Cam with stories about the time the bus didn't show up for the Golden Bears football team, and right off the kickoff, a future gold medal Olympian returned it for a touchdown.

I did not make this up.

I wasn't that much attention but Cam was with the Rebels when they were going to start a US Division swing. Highway through the mountains was closed due to heavy snow. The team had to stop for the night at a truck stop. The staff was friendly and the guys took in the stop but had to sleep on the bus. A local TV station showed a little of their overnight stay. Game was put off a day, IIRC.

Reactions: JordanGalhanth

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm pretty much done with Michaels.

Singh is still finding his voice, I have some time for him.

Cassie is awful. Wish we got Cuthbert more.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I'm pretty much done with Michaels.

Singh is still finding his voice, I have some time for him.

Cassie is awful. Wish we got Cuthbert more.

I dislike Michaels but chalk it up mostly to his style than outright competence. When he is actually calling the game he’s fine IMO.

Singh though has serious deficiencies in his craft that need major work. Second language or not, I don’t get why he is allowed to do what essentially is on-the-job training at the highest level. It’s embarrassing for everyone involved.

Cassie is... somehow worse than Singh. There are three other women alone on the network who I believe could do a far, far better job so it’s not like my opinion is rooted in sexism or anything. She’s just flat-out terrible and needs to go yesterday.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad