Oilers Broadcast changes

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
"We really feel Cassie Campbell-Pasquele really adds an element of brilliant commentary and with the exposure of Connor McDavid and the Oilers, we here at Rogers Sportsnet felt now was the time to promote her to the play by play chair for all #Oilershockey games this season."

I think I'd boycott Rogers if they hired the wife of the Assistant GM of our biggest rival, and we'd all have to let them know it's unacceptable. Regardless of how skilled she is or isn't that's traitorous to a fanbase.

Reactions: RattsSSV

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Chris Cuthbert didn't leave tsn to do regional games. If he calls Oilers (or anyone else) this year it'll be on a saturday or other cross-canada game.

Edit: Clarification

Considering all games in the Canadian Division are vs. other Canadian teams and Rogers has regional contracts with 3.5 Canadian teams, plus national broadcasting rights, I could see it happening at least for this year that they assign him to a Western team.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I saw him do an LA Kings game a few years back when they were auditioning for Bob Miller's replacement. He was great.

Yeah, my biggest complaint with him has always been the sidebar conversations mid-play and even had him DM reply to me in a Twitter comment about it. His reaction suggests he wouldn't change that, but on TV sidebar's may actually add to the broadcast when there is a bit of a lull in the play.

Reactions: Del Preston

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
For people who hate Quinn, watch the broadcasts of the other Canadian teams and observe how good we have it.

I think I heard somewhere that Remenda isn't coming back.

That isn't a big deal. He's been getting phased out anyway.

My issue with Quinn, besides the fact that he butchers names constantly, is that his voice is associated with the Decade of Darkness for me. Not really his fault but a fresh voice would be welcomed.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Gene is horrible, only reason i dont watch the beginning to listen to his stupid jokes

I mean I haven't listened to a pre-game, intermission, or post game report in years. And to be honest I tune out the announcer/colour during the game too. There is nothing of value that comes out of any of them.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Hopefully optimistic, but Quinn has also been calling Oilers games for longer than I've been watching hockey, so I literally grew up listening to him and will be sad to see him go if he is indeed replaced. Also, keep Gene.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
I think the other factor too might be that Jack isn't local (or wasn't when he came to the Oilers 10 years ago). I'd much rather the Oilers have hired an Alberta boy like Ryan Rishaug or Bryan Mudryk...someone who at least grew up with Rod and knows that the flamboyant, distracted, talkshow-host style of PBP just doesn't get the job done.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
For people who hate Quinn, watch the broadcasts of the other Canadian teams and observe how good we have it.

I think I heard somewhere that Remenda isn't coming back.
I’m with you 100% on this. Quinn is far from perfect, but I really feel it’s the case of the devil you know is better than the devil you don’t when it comes to play by play guy. I’ve had Centre Ice a couple of times now and hearing some of the local guys from around the league really gave me an appreciation for Quinn.

Reactions: Samus44

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I like Kevin Quinn, he's the voice I associate with Oilers games. That said, if we get Cuthbert for a year I'd be thrilled.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That isn't a big deal. He's been getting phased out anyway.

My issue with Quinn, besides the fact that he butchers names constantly, is that his voice is associated with the Decade of Darkness for me. Not really his fault but a fresh voice would be welcomed.
Grass is seldom greener. Unless Quinn is being replaced by Cuthbert (which I really doubt he will), we'll probably get Randorf or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad