Oilers Broadcast changes

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I don't like "personality injected" into the play-by-play. I want it deadpan and accurate.

It actually angers me when the color commentator speaks, I don't care about your opinion Louie DeBrusk, keep it under 100 words per-night.

The color commentator could be completely removed as far as I'm concerned. Give the viewer the option of selecting audio streams.

The pumped in opinions are worse than the enthusiastic fan soundtrack. I'm not ten, I feel like they're trying to agitate me.

It's up there with someone not flushing a turd.
Play-by-play is just as bad as colour. It's not radio... we can already see what you are saying.

Reactions: Broberg Speed

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Play-by-play is just as bad as colour. It's not radio... we can already see what you are saying.
I'd actually support a ten second delay to the game so they could process a proper robot voice, this over what we are currently treated to. Which is really sad. They can't even find someone to out compete a robot voice. :yoda: for play-by-play and :darth:for color commentary.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't like "personality injected" into the play-by-play. I want it deadpan and accurate.

It actually angers me when the color commentator speaks, I don't care about your opinion Louie DeBrusk, keep it under 100 words per-night.

The color commentator could be completely removed as far as I'm concerned. Give the viewer the option of selecting audio streams.

The pumped in opinions are worse than the enthusiastic fan soundtrack. I'm not ten, I feel like they're trying to agitate me.

It's up there with someone not flushing a turd.

Gold. haha

Absolutely agree, and no reason with present tech people can't just choose options for audio feed. Simply get rink sounds, get captions, get out of town audio feed, get rink DJ feed (yuck) but this is imminently doable, the tech for this all there, and could interactive. I would choose simple rink audio, hear the boards rattling and no color commentary, no annoying PbP getting the names or play wrong.

I'm the consumer, just give me the product options I want, not the one size fits all that you think I want.

Similarly, radio. My concept of radio is hearing music, thats all I want, is the songs, not some DJ that is out of his mind extroverted and just wants to talk to you all day instead of just spinning some platters (old reference) But other people, they want the talk all day, maybe they feel lonely, want to hear somebody else speak, their voice, their words.

My sum impression of Jack Michaels is somebody sitting in a bar all day telling silly stories and panned laughter and you like the beer but the reverberation from the loud barrel is so much you just leave the bar and go home..to your dog barking constantly and it doesn't even know why...

Then you come on here and get my long winded posts...

;)

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
Dreading the broadcast team tonight.
On a separate note, watching the Raptors broadcast, Kia Nurse is doing an awesome job as a commentator. You would think she’s been doing it for years, and very relevant information. really impressed

Reactions: RattsSSV and TB12

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Dreading the broadcast team tonight.
On a separate note, watching the Raptors broadcast, Kia Nurse is doing an awesome job as a commentator. You would think she’s been doing it for years, and very relevant information. really impressed

see if you can get her to provide commentary on the oilers broadcasts

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Don’t know if this counts as Oil broadcast changes but Singh and Cassie Campbell have to be the worst duo in Oilers history. That was, by far, the worst Edmonton Oilers broadcast in television history.

f*** me they were bad.

I'm not kidding when I say someone should make a petition to make sure they never broadcast an Oilers game together ever again.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
National game. Oilers have no say in the announcers.

Cassie is boring and adds no insight.

Singh - meh.

Why did Rogers run Randorf off after they signed Cuthbert?

SportsNet has less announcer depth than Oil has goalie depth.

Randorf was hired by the Lightning.

Agree, this was the worst broadcast pairing and delivery I've ever seen for HNIC. I appreciate Singh's story and that he's breaking in but this game, for the build up it had throughout all networks and fanbases deserved a better, more experienced play caller. Singh is finding his voice and did not add anything to this broadcast. I don't mind Cassie Campbell personally, moreso as an intermission analyst but she also isn't strong with in game analysis and is let down by her voice. Big build up everywhere. The broadcast was significantly substandard.

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
I’m still so mad, I’m posting this twice in different threads

In some ways I have to hand it to Singh and Cassie.

I was overly excited to watch the game last night. Too much, and the loss got me so mad I had trouble falling asleep.

Typically after watching a game where our Goaltender lets in 3 very questionable goals, it takes me at least 2 extra hours to hit the hay.

Cassies voice pitch and constantly talking about the shot clock after the first period (“Since the start of the second period, the Flames have DOMINATED the shots for”) never mind it was almost even in the third and apparently the first period didn’t count

Time Violation: Extra hour to sleep so annoyed me

Then Singh, who is supposed to be a neutral broadcaster, does some f&@king crow bird trill gargle on Johnny Hockey’s goal is the worst thing I’ve ever witnessed on national TV.

Time Violation: Extra hour to go to sleep plus more pissed at the call than the game this morning.

Grrr......slept in way too long this AM. Hoping prepping food for Super Bowl calms me down.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Like I said in the GDT, the Singh / Cassie combo sounded like I was watching a frikken dog show on tv.

7AE61FF1-6153-43EB-B418-298C46533D76.gif

Sportsnet is a joke.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
So we are stuck with sportsnet? I can’t listen to that garbage anymore. I will literally pay more for something else.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I didn't like Singh yesterday. Detected some Flame love there, or so I thought. Man, is he ever getting the dog games. I think we lose every game that Singh calls. isn't he like 0-3 now? Worse?

lol at Hrudey and Burke being angry about the flames play in the first. "they are too good a team to be playing like this" lol They won because of Koski.

Reactions: Oilhawks

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I’m still so mad, I’m posting this twice in different threads

In some ways I have to hand it to Singh and Cassie.

I was overly excited to watch the game last night. Too much, and the loss got me so mad I had trouble falling asleep.

Typically after watching a game where our Goaltender lets in 3 very questionable goals, it takes me at least 2 extra hours to hit the hay.

Cassies voice pitch and constantly talking about the shot clock after the first period (“Since the start of the second period, the Flames have DOMINATED the shots for”) never mind it was almost even in the third and apparently the first period didn’t count

Time Violation: Extra hour to sleep so annoyed me

Then Singh, who is supposed to be a neutral broadcaster, does some f&@king crow bird trill gargle on Johnny Hockey’s goal is the worst thing I’ve ever witnessed on national TV.

Time Violation: Extra hour to go to sleep plus more pissed at the call than the game this morning.

Grrr......slept in way too long this AM. Hoping prepping food for Super Bowl calms me down.

It’s at the point for me now that the play by play is ruining any hope I have of enjoying the game. I feel bad for Singh. Seems like a nice guy, but his broadcasting reputation is unfortunately taking a big hit with this experiment, that should never of happened at this level of hockey. I’m all for diversity/gender hires, as long as the people hired are competent at their job at the level they are hired for. 100% of the blame goes to SN on this. A good employer puts their staff in positions to succeed, knows their strengths and weaknesses, and knows what lane their employee should be in to have success. Singh had found his lane and had great success at it. Nothing wrong with trying to expand from that role, but a quick watch of a demo tape would have had any competent broadcasting executive come to the conclusion that he was not ready for the job, not even close.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I didn't like Singh yesterday. Detected some Flame love there, or so I thought. Man, is he ever getting the dog games. I think we lose every game that Singh calls. isn't he like 0-3 now? Worse?

lol at Hrudey and Burke being angry about the flames play in the first. "they are too good a team to be playing like this" lol They won because of Koski.

I'm pretty sure they haven't won a game that he's called, which makes me dislike him even more.

Guess the true test is to see him call a game that the Oilers dominate...lol

Reactions: RattsSSV

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I posted the mute gif in the GDT as a joke but I literally muted 95% of the game knowing that listening to those two clowns would make me lose sleep (like @Bobieque said)

@RattsSSV posted this in the other thread but think it belongs here as well:

[email protected]

tenor.gif
I sent my email to Sportsnet. Absolutely ripped into that piss poor quality broadcast and the disgusting fact that the PBP person is married to the assistant GM of the Flames. Just a ridiculous conflict of interest. Sportsnet is a joke and it felt good to vent.

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020
He definitely seemed to get more enthusiastic about calling the Flames goals. Is there a connection between him and the Flames or something? One of the goals he was so excited i thought he was having a seizure or something. Weird.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I sent my email to Sportsnet. Absolutely ripped into that piss poor quality broadcast and the disgusting fact that the PBP person is married to the assistant GM of the Flames. Just a ridiculous conflict of interest. Sportsnet is a joke and it felt good to vent.

I emailed them as well. But on the positive side is I figured out synching SN on the PVR to CHED and I don’t have to listen to that pair ever again. Kept the TV muted for the intermission as well. Got nothing good to say about that bullshit broadcast from last night.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I emailed them as well. But on the positive side is I figured out synching SN on the PVR to CHED and I don’t have to listen to that pair ever again. Kept the TV muted for the intermission as well. Got nothing good to say about that bullshit broadcast from last night.
I did the same. Say what you want about Jack and Bob but on their WORST day they are infinitely better than whatever the hell that was last night.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011

Wish there was another option aside from TSN and Sportsnet in Canada. Both Bell and Rogers deserve to be bitch slapped by their poor treatment of good staff (that Dan O'Toole layoff really boils my blood still) and the utter disregard they have for putting a good product to the fans.

The amount of glitches, errors etc with sound, graphics etc on Sportsnet broadcasts coupled by promoting clowns is infuriating.

f*** 'em

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad