Oilers Broadcast changes

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I worked with Tony for a couple years. Genuinely the nicest human you'll ever run into, no job too big, too small, or "beneath him" and a smile on his face 100% of the time.

Yes he’s a super nice guy and I find him very polished on TV. I hope he gets noticed by SN or TSN and is in the bigs soon!

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Damn, I went on the wrong network last night and listened to the Canuck play-byplay guy all night. You want to hear some terrible play calling? I found it.

I did the same thing till I texted my buddies and asked why we got stuck with the shit Vancouver broadcast and they texted me back and told me to get with the program lol.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
How is it assumed in the thread that Michaels is just assumed to know more about hockey than Singh. What is that actually based on? They both love the game and been around it for a longtime. Just asking.

I mean I like that both are getting their chances, both have paid their dues, and both have moved up the ladder and been around the game a long time and love the game. Both deserve to be doing broadcasts. ftr sometimes I would watch Singh do the Punjabi broadcasts because he's just so much fun. So I'm more familiar with Singh.

I don't listen to the radio broadcasts. Michaels from his broadcast yesterday just seems pretty run of the mill. Has a few words he throws out there, quips. I mean my high standard is memories of the best TV broadcasters that ever lived, or that probably ever lived.

In anycase both Michaels and Singh are vast improvements on Kevin Quinn, who was gifted the job while others like Michaels and Stauffer were working the trenches. I didn't get the impression Quinn even knew that much about hockey. For all he added to commentary he could have been a weather reporter.

in anycase the broadcasts are improved

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Jack Michaels is honestly one of the best in the business. I don't understand how people dislike him. His voice is just perfect for play by play. There's no other PBP guy today I'd rather have calling McDavid and Draisaitl's magic.

I'll give it some more time. Again really appreciated your breakdown yesterday.

Reactions: McOvechking

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Did the Canucks PBP crew do the games this week from a studio in Vancouver? Just assumed they were here.

This year's rules require that only the home team will have their broadcast crew in the building.

Wednesday wouldn't have been an issue in Vancouver because that was a national broadcast, but yesterday's regional broadcast would have had their guys calling from a studio in Vancouver. I also noticed the delay on Calgary's game and they would also have been calling from a studio because the game was played in Winnipeg..

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Loved Jack and Louie tonight with Tony filling in for Gene. 10000 times better than Quinn Remenda and Gene. Nothing against Gene but I am a big Tony Brar fan. Wish Quinn well. Remenda, he can be cleaning toilet stalls somewhere in San Jose for all I care.

PS nice touch to see Strudwick and Stauffer -who has a face for radio but knows his stuff. They need to turn the lights down, he is squinting all the time.
I don’t think he was squinting, it’s just that his face real estate has taken over and left him slits for eyes

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just want to clarify some misperceptions that have been stated in the thread, as if they were some kind of fact.

1) Singh is a professional broadcaster. He completed broadcasting school at Mount Royal College. Michaels has no such background, just fell into amateur radio broadcasting. Thus Singh is trained in dictum, enunciation, tone, cadence of speech. Michaels has no such education and vocal training and effects kind of trailed out drawl. From the standpoint of professional speaking Singh is easier to listen to, and hear what he is saying. Singhs cadence also quicker than Michaels, meaning he can say more words in less time and keep up with the play.

2)Singh has been a professional broadcaster for much longer than Michaels and started TV in 2004 With TSN, then With CBC and has been broadcasting ever since. Both have paid dues, Singh has played a lot more, is more experience, and has the broadcasting post secondary education.

3) Some peculiar claim that Michaels knows more about hockey. Singh has been around hockey his whole life, from his own record played from a young age and saw hockey as a great and integral way to fit in, to be with other kids, play with other kids. Great stories on that. Michaels doesn't even know how to skate, has never played hockey, and just became more familiar with the game through him being a 3 sport radio commentator in some small town. Michaels was even told by other broadcasters to focus on hockey, not through a particular passion for hockey.

4) Singh is a local kid, born and raised in Wetaskiwin, "where cars cost less" just miles away from Edmonton, very local kid and family. Michaels is from some town called Meadville, wouldn't know where that is, but somewhere in the US. He didn't come to Alberta until 2010.

So I hope this has dispelled some unfortunate false assumptions about the backgrounds and qualifications of the respective broadcasters. I mean I'm glad for the changes but Singh is imminently qualified, knowledgeable about hockey, is a local kid, a great local story known by many, and I would like to see him get more chances. But then again I tend to always be in support of local hires and supporting local.

Just felt that false claims made in the thread should be rebutted. Perceptions often being different than reality.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Jack Michaels is honestly one of the best in the business. I don't understand how people dislike him. His voice is just perfect for play by play. There's no other PBP guy today I'd rather have calling McDavid and Draisaitl's magic.

If I was neutral fan, I would think he's an awful homer.
As an Oiler fan, I appreciate the passion he brings and do think he's a decent PbP away from Stauffer especially but his goal calls are over the top homer. That's fine for radio but I think for TV, he needs to be a little more objective.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Singh is actually much more well known than Michaels, Nationally, or internationally. I'll state as well I don't understand how people dislike him. Many people that follow hockey love him, I've watched games in their homes. I've seen how Singh spreads the joy of hockey into many homes. Singh has furthered hockey in this mosaic of Canada.

I think Edmonton broadcasts would be more revered, watched, even internationally known with Singh behind the microphone. Singh would certainly bring more audience to the telecasts. Which ultimately is better for the Oilers. At least they should mix it up. Give each some broadcasts. I think it makes it even more interesting having different nights for each.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I'm just personally happy that I no longer have to see or hear from Drew Remenda ever again.
Hearing that clown constantly gush over the opponents while criticizing even the littlest things in regards to the Oilers was just tiring. Least he can go back on being a sharks fan that he preciously loves.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Singh is actually much more well known than Michaels, Nationally, or internationally. I'll state as well I don't understand how people dislike him. Many people that follow hockey love him, I've watched games in their homes. I've seen how Singh spreads the joy of hockey into many homes. Singh has furthered hockey in this mosaic of Canada.

I think Edmonton broadcasts would be more revered, watched, even internationally known with Singh behind the microphone. Singh would certainly bring more audience to the telecasts. Which ultimately is better for the Oilers. At least they should mix it up. Give each some broadcasts. I think it makes it even more interesting having different nights for each.

I don’t dislike him. Sounds like a great guy. He’s just not ready to do PBP in English at the NHL level. The difference between the two games was night and day. Wednesday was amateur hour from the get go. Thursday was a professional broadcast. Personally I don’t want to listen to a guy for a whole season while he has training wheels on and try’s to figure it out. That’s what much lower leagues are for. But we all see things differently. Even though I have no idea how anyone could rationally see this differently. ;)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This year's rules require that only the home team will have their broadcast crew in the building.

Wednesday wouldn't have been an issue in Vancouver because that was a national broadcast, but yesterday's regional broadcast would have had their guys calling from a studio in Vancouver. I also noticed the delay on Calgary's game and they would also have been calling from a studio because the game was played in Winnipeg..
Considering the cutbacks Sportsnet had gone through and considering the cutbacks companies across the world are doing I am quite shocked they even have two broadcast teams covering one game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don’t dislike him. Sounds like a great guy. He’s just not ready to do PBP in English at the NHL level. The difference between the two games was night and day. Wednesday was amateur hour from the get go. Thursday was a professional broadcast. Personally I don’t want to listen to a guy for a whole season while he has training wheels on and try’s to figure it out. That’s what much lower leagues are for. But we all see things differently. Even though I have no idea how anyone could rationally see this differently. ;)

Perhaps because neighbors, other people talk to me about the games, and about Singh, and I've seen more of him than heard of Michaels its the feel good story for me. Like I say I always support local, I like the local kids to get a chance before others. Even in drafting I wish the Oilers were more local oriented. Just makes sense. picking a good strong kid from St Albert made a big difference.

I still think somebody told Singh to tone down the Soccer type calls, they maybe figured it wouldn't wash over in the Anglo hockey realm. I think that could be myopic, I mean its speculation, that part, but I doubt Singh had free rein to do his thing, and what I gather is he just stepped in because Michaels was for some reason unavailable for game 1. Nobody has really released much details on the complete picture. But I guess Singh wasn't going to unravel his whole Goalio package if he was just subbing in one game. I loved it. Like Millwoods, he gave the game some exotic spice, anybody can see that. ;)

But I like how Singh is knowledgeable about hockey, obviously loves the game, always has, and would grow the market and players here locally, in Canada, and internationally. Guys like Singh can expand the sports Horizons. Michaels will not do that.

I think this would be great for Edmontons image as well. The same city that made Warren Moon its legendary QB, when no NFL clubs at the time were willing to do that. I mean I detest Khaira as a player, (limited skill set) but the Oilers have made particular headway into a market because of Khaira. Having Singh as a broadcaster gives a further leap in grabbing that market and another great story around the Edmonton mosaic.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Considering the cutbacks Sportsnet had gone through and considering the cutbacks companies across the world are doing I am quite shocked they even have two broadcast teams covering one game.

I think its only in the interests of reducing travel, having broadcast teams stand pat more, and having less mixing. A bit bubble oriented in a sense. I suspect on our road broadcasts we get the opponent team feed, or we get a piped feed from Michaels and whoever just sitting in a studio here watching the game on TV like we do..

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
If I was neutral fan, I would think he's an awful homer.
As an Oiler fan, I appreciate the passion he brings and do think he's a decent PbP away from Stauffer especially but his goal calls are over the top homer. That's fine for radio but I think for TV, he needs to be a little more objective.
It's the Oilers regional broadcast though, of course he's going to ham it up.

Shorthouse and Garrett do it for the Canucks. Ball and Hrudey do it for the Flames. I love feeling like I'm watching the game with a fellow fan.

My brother is a Leafs fan and all they have is the national crew, there is no favouritism from the commentators. I'd argue Simpson and Hughson actively cheer against the Leafs and its funny to watch, and pisses him off, and their fanbase as a whole.

Were pretty lucky

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I worked with Tony for a couple years. Genuinely the nicest human you'll ever run into, no job too big, too small, or "beneath him" and a smile on his face 100% of the time.
I went to school with him and played ball hockey with Tony. Awesome guy, loves hockey and is damn good at playing it

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Perhaps because neighbors, other people talk to me about the games, and about Singh, and I've seen more of him than heard of Michaels its the feel good story for me. Like I say I always support local, I like the local kids to get a chance before others. Even in drafting I wish the Oilers were more local oriented. Just makes sense. picking a good strong kid from St Albert made a big difference.

I still think somebody told Singh to tone down the Soccer type calls, they maybe figured it wouldn't wash over in the Anglo hockey realm. I think that could be myopic, I mean its speculation, that part, but I doubt Singh had free rein to do his thing, and what I gather is he just stepped in because Michaels was for some reason unavailable for game 1. Nobody has really released much details on the complete picture. But I guess Singh wasn't going to unravel his whole Goalio package if he was just subbing in one game. I loved it. Like Millwoods, he gave the game some exotic spice, anybody can see that. ;)

But I like how Singh is knowledgeable about hockey, obviously loves the game, always has, and would grow the market and players here locally, in Canada, and internationally. Guys like Singh can expand the sports Horizons. Michaels will not do that.

I think this would be great for Edmontons image as well. The same city that made Warren Moon its legendary QB, when no NFL clubs at the time were willing to do that. I mean I detest Khaira as a player, (limited skill set) but the Oilers have made particular headway into a market because of Khaira. Having Singh as a broadcaster gives a further leap in grabbing that market and another great story around the Edmonton mosaic.

Michaels was available but isn't a national announcer. For some unknown reason, he gets to do the CHED PBP when it's a national game. I would suggest that CHED told Moon that his first game wouldn't be until last night.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

What happened to Jim Hughson?

Cool. we get Singh again!?

Still trying to figure out whats happening with the rotation or plan on this. Are Michaels and Singh alternating, does anybody know? Or is it just National-Singh, Local-Michaels?

I could handle that. Singh gives our games much more exposure, bigger audience, converts more people to hockey. Makes sense if he's getting the National telecasts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad